ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Recruiting

JimboBBN

Jan 26, 2016
The Bluegrass State
Team
Kentucky
K isn't gone yet, I'm aware, but I am really impressed with the class they have coming in next season. Scheyer may be a drop off from the GOAT, but he is off to a really nice start with his "first" class. As of the Rivals update, they have the top 3 kids signed. Even in Zion's year, I can't remember if he, Cam, and RJ were 1, 2, and 3.

He will be one of the more fun story lines to follow in college basketball over the next several years, obviously.

Reactions: duckboy33
Rivals has Whitehead, Filipowski, and Lively 1,2,3. The 247 composite has them in reverse order: Lively (1), Filipowski (3), Whitehead (5).

Rivals 2018: Barrett (1), Reddish (3), Zion (5)
247 Comp: Barrett (1), Reddish (2), Zion (5)

In other words, Scheyer is gonna be feeling some heat to win the natty in year 1. That's a shit ton of talent to go along with whoever returns and potential transfers.

We’ll see if Scheyer actually coaches these talented guys up unlike K who has phoned it in the past 5 years. Running his “roll the ball out there and do whatever you guys want” offense. Does Duke actually run anything these days? The X’s and O’s leave a lot to be desired.

Obviously judging by comments ITT. It is championship or bust for Scheyer next year. Even though it has never happened before like that.
I like the preemptive excuse in case he chokes.
giphy.gif

We’ll see if Scheyer actually coaches these talented guys up unlike K who has phoned it in the past 5 years. Running his “roll the ball out there and do whatever you guys want” offense. Does Duke actually run anything these days? The X’s and O’s leave a lot to be desired.
If you believe that, you truly do not watch Duke basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: bignish
Spot on, K has absolutely mailed it in these past 5 years and maybe even longer. Luckily, our recruiting has been incredible so we've been able to cover up his poor motivational tactics, coaching and game plan flaws to some extent.

I can't wait for Scheyer to start coaching next year, ready for the next chapter to begin. He's been the point person for recruiting for years and non-Duke affiliated basketball reporters think he's a good Xs & Os guy.

K deserves this farewell tour as the GOAT and hopefully he doesn't underperform again with this talented bunch and we have a magical tournament run but I'm not holding my breath after losing to freaking UVA at home.

I don't expect Scheyer to be 90s Coach K good but he just needs to be good enough to take us over the top with these stacked recruiting classes.

I actually agree about K not coaching with passion over the past 5+ years. I don't think he likes having to give into the entitled generation who demand PT, but understands that is the only way to get the recruits necessary to remain a contender. It just hasn't worked out, and probably never will. I hope Scheyer can figure it out, obviously.

Spot on, K has absolutely mailed it in these past 5 years and maybe even longer. Luckily, our recruiting has been incredible so we've been able to cover up his poor motivational tactics, coaching and game plan flaws to some extent.

I can't wait for Scheyer to start coaching next year, ready for the next chapter to begin. He's been the point person for recruiting for years and non-Duke affiliated basketball reporters think he's a good Xs & Os guy.

K deserves this farewell tour as the GOAT and hopefully he doesn't underperform again with this talented bunch and we have a magical tournament run but I'm not holding my breath after losing to freaking UVA at home.

I don't expect Scheyer to be 90s Coach K good but he just needs to be good enough to take us over the top with these stacked recruiting classes.
Head in the sand according to @Afamu. Watching late game situations with the Zion, RJ, & reddish team was pretty brutal. That team was unreal talent-wise that year. I’m a Purdue fan, but I watched every Duke game that season to watch those guys play. It was borderline coaching malpractice the lack of structure that team had.

I actually agree about K not coaching with passion over the past 5+ years. I don't think he likes having to give into the entitled generation who demand PT, but understands that is the only way to get the recruits necessary to remain a contender. It just hasn't worked out, and probably never will. I hope Scheyer can figure it out, obviously.
With the military background you know it has to be tough putting up with the bullshit that comes along with this generation.

Rivals has Whitehead, Filipowski, and Lively 1,2,3. The 247 composite has them in reverse order: Lively (1), Filipowski (3), Whitehead (5).

Rivals 2018: Barrett (1), Reddish (3), Zion (5)
247 Comp: Barrett (1), Reddish (2), Zion (5)

In other words, Scheyer is gonna be feeling some heat to win the natty in year 1. That's a shit ton of talent to go along with whoever returns and potential transfers.

Oh good lord. Absolutely NOBODY will be putting heat on a first year coach fo win the National title because he got some good recruits. I have to assume you are being facetious, but I’m scared that I can’t, for sure, tell.

Great recruiting so far… a good start. There’s a LONG way to go:)

Reactions: WarEagle2727
Oh good lord. Absolutely NOBODY will be putting heat on a first year coach fo win the National title because he got some good recruits. I have to assume you are being facetious, but I’m scared that I can’t, for sure, tell.

Ohhh, so he gets a pass because he's a first year guy? You guys have gotten soft. Then again you've had the same coach for 98 years, so you're new to this new coach thing. There are no training wheels in this profession. He better win it all next season and if not it will be an epic failure. 😁

What's Scheyer's grace period?

Outside recruiting. Duke recruits itself.

What's Scheyer's grace period?

Outside recruiting. Duke recruits itself.

Three years? Gets him several years past K, several years into his own recruiting, and gives his first classes time to mature. Now, for him to get fired that quickly, he would have to really be ****ing up… but I have a hard time imagining anything less than three years?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Three years? Gets him several years past K, several years into his own recruiting, and gives his first classes time to mature. Now, for him to get fired that quickly, he would have to really be ****ing up… but I have a hard time imagining anything less than three years?
No matter his record his first two years? Three minimum?

ADVERTISEMENT