ADVERTISEMENT

Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky

Every team that wins a title is talented. Talented enough to be on a NBA roster is the question. BTW that cave man you speak of was a 3 star recruit who did in a UK team who had 3 dudes who got drafted in the lottery.
Yeah, that damn Cave dweller sunk our battleship hard that day.
I think UK's freshmen did a great job after what Higgins did to them in the first half in that game though.
Those were the two best teams, it's a shame they had to clash that soon.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Yeah, that damn Cave dweller sunk our battleship hard that day.
I think UK's freshmen did a great job after what Higgins did to them in the first half in that game though.
Those were the two best teams, it's a shame they had to clash that soon.

Had you beat us no doubt in my mind you would of done Gonzaga. I agree that FF game should of been a game for the title.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I'm not sure I would brag too much about only 1 dude getting drafted, that team was stacked with talent that SHOULD have been drafted.

All three of Roy's title teams had 4-5 upperclassmen that were 5-star recruits. That blows my mind. Never again will see anything like that. Here are the number of upperclassmen that were top 25 recruits on national title teams this century.

2019: Virginia- 0
2018: Villanova- 1
2017: UNC- 4
2016: Villanova- 0
2015: Duke- 1
2014: UConn- 0
2013: Louisville- 0
2012: Kentucky- 0
2011: UConn- 1
2010: Duke- 4
2009: UNC- 4
2008: Kansas- 2
2007: Florida- 1
2006: Florida- 0
2005: UNC- 5
2004: UConn- 1
2003: Syracuse- 0
2002: Maryland- 0
2001: Duke- 1
2000: Michigan State- 1

All three of Roy's title teams had 4-5 upperclassmen that were 5-star recruits. That blows my mind. Never again will see anything like that. Here are the number of upperclassmen that were top 25 recruits on national title teams this century.

There you go. If you wanna win a title that's the blueprint but to your point I agree, we'll never see that again.

Reactions: dukedevilz
There you go. If you wanna win a title that's the blueprint but to your point I agree, we'll never see that again.

If only it were that easy to hang onto 5-star kids. As it was, 15 of the 20 title teams this century did so with 0-1 upperclassmen 5-star kids.

I've noticed UNC's classes had interesting patterns. Every four years they would have a monster class. 2002, 2006, 2010, and then in 2014. The teams would be FF contenders in the second year of the monster classes, and title contenders in the third year. The class before the monster class was usually solid, with at least one 5-star upperclassmen (ie: Jawad Williams, Hansbrough, Zeller, Hicks). The 2010 class would have been in the FF had Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall stayed three years like the other dominant classes (or maybe if Marshall didn't get injured). Just something I thought was interesting. But yeah, those days of holding onto 5-star kids for multiple years are long gone. You might have a few of them stick around, but those will be very few and far between.

I didn’t forget doofus. K and Cal sold their souls to the 1 and done. UNC wins on experienced talent.
Not really, UNc wins on talent that Roy wastes, which forces them to attend UNc, and its academic rigor, for longer than they had planned.

BTW, K won a title with that one and done talent. Just a better coach I guess.

Not really, UNc wins on talent that Roy wastes, which forces them to attend UNc, and its academic rigor, for longer than they had planned.

If kay was a better coach he would of won with Zion, RJ, Bagley, Carter and Parker. Roy won a title with a 1 and done also. Try again Skippy.

If kay was a better coach he would of won with Zion, RJ, Bagley, Carter and Parker. Roy won a title with a 1 and done also. Try again Skippy.
It wasnt 3 on 3 and Parkers team sucked. He has 5 NC's. Nuff said. Opinions are nice arent they.

I understand I'm talking to a moron. You make a point then you somewhat walk it back. I mean you worship the ground kay walks on, don't try to back track now.
I dont think you understand coaching at all. Not back tracking anything. Just a better coach. How many NC's, wins, Olympic Gold medals? How many has Roy been asked to coach. Zero, Zippo, nada. They dont like phony rednecks who lie

I dont think you understand coaching at all. Not back tracking anything. Just a better coach. How many NC's, wins, Olympic Gold medals? How many has Roy been asked to coach. Zero, Zippo, nada. They dont like phony rednecks who lie

You do have the case of the Slow. I did say he's the GOAT but I also said in so many words he's had more 1 and done talent than Roy/everybody and basically has swung and miss. Who gives a damn about Olympic gold medals but you because you're damn near out of ammo. Any time you switch the narrative tells me you can't come back with a reasonable response because there isn't one. All the 1 and done talent I mentioned and not 1 FF and you bring up professional players that played under kay.

You do have the case of the Slow. I did say he's the GOAT but I also said in so many words he's had more 1 and done talent than Roy/everybody and basically has swung and miss. Who gives a damn about Olympic gold medals but you because you're damn near out of ammo. Any time you switch the narrative tells me you can't come back with a reasonable response because there isn't one. All the 1 and done talent I mentioned and not 1 FF and you bring up professional players that played under kay.
So is there a formula that everyone follows that proves one and dones work? If yes, I dont believe it is proven.

Now, if we had one and dones for 3-4 years, they wouldnt be one and dones, but they would win more championships based on their ratings and talent.

Hope this isnt too fast or complicated for you.

What I am trying to say for the slow is that just because you have one and dones doesnt mean you will automatically win a NC. Although losers like yourself need something to bash the GOAT, so that is what you use.

Have a great evening.

So is there a formula that everyone follows that proves one and dones work? If yes, I dont believe it is proven.

Now, if we had one and dones for 3-4 years, they wouldnt be one and dones, but they would win more championships based on their ratings and talent.

Hope this isnt too fast or complicated for you.

What I am trying to say for the slow is that just because you have one and dones doesnt mean you will automatically win a NC. Although losers like yourself need something to bash the GOAT, so that is what you use.

Have a great evening.

Cry it out dude and try again tomorrow.

I guess UK's defense had nothing to do with it huh?
UK has the 12th best adjusted defensive rating according to Ken Pom, WKU has the 109th rated defense, so it wasn't WKU's defense that slowed Alabama down. UK took away most of their open 3 point looks.
Kentucky is rated so high defensively because of the slow down offensive game you have. Do you really think Kentucky has a top ten defense? Most guards can take your guards off the dribble, Alabama missed a lot of layups last night.

Incredible. Those kids obviously made a promise and stuck to it.

Kentucky is rated so high defensively because of the slow down offensive game you have. Do you really think Kentucky has a top ten defense? Most guards can take your guards off the dribble, Alabama missed a lot of layups last night.
Ummm, they're ranked 12th, so no, I don’t think they are top 10, but, again, they ARE rated 12th and against a tough schedule too (adjusted). The numbers bear that out. More times than not, teams don't reach their averages against UK.

I think everyone on this board, with the exception of you, knows that Calipari is an elite defensive mind and coach. However, he absolutely sucks donkey balls as an offensive coach.

Lastly, UK's ineffective offense has absolutely nothing to do with what they do on the defensive end, in fact, Cal yells "GOOOOOOO" all game long in an effort to get his guys to push the tempo, so I'm not sure where you get your information from.

Brooks at pg? OMG no. He's a 4.
Askew wasn't highly ranked. He was 33 on rivals, a 4*. Not only that, but Cal puts more on his pg's than most other coaches do. You have to be able to consistently beat your man and any help defenders that came at you and still try to score through them it's all isolation crap that Askew doesn’t have the tools for.
He’s a 4 year kid that should still be in high school and shouldn't be asked to run point at UK.
Cal screwed up the second he didn't find a way to get Hagans to come back or successfully recruit a legit star pg.

I was being sarcastic about brooks, but he’ll he can’t be much worse than askew. 2 pts 1 reb 1 ast in 20+ mins. Terrible.

Yea like kids don’t leave early all the time with O chance of getting drafted.

Look at the number or early entrees vs the number of draft slots. It’s like 3:1

I was being sarcastic about brooks, but he’ll he can’t be much worse than askew. 2 pts 1 reb 1 ast in 20+ mins. Terrible.
In the last 86 minutes that Askew has played, he has scored 5 points.
Cal had him in the game the last 4 minutes at Alabama. He can't guard anyone and he can't score. Why the hell is he in the game? That was a winnable game at that point.

Reactions: Crappy Davenpot
Recruiting promises??? Jk but your right it makes no sense. None at all. Already done with the season wants next years frosh to see he will stick with em regardless? Idk it really is mind boggling imo.

In the last 86 minutes that Askew has played, he has scored 5 points.
Cal had him in the game the last 4 minutes at Alabama. He can't guard anyone and he can't score. Why the hell is he in the game? That was a winnable game at that point.
He'd be a great HS senior right now. As it stands he's the poster boy for not reclassifying.

He'd be a great HS senior right now. As it stands he's the poster boy for not reclassifying.

But isn’t he 18 and reclassed to his original class after being held back when he was young for sports??? I’ve read that but not confirmed it.

Yeah, UK fans keep talking about Skyy Clark reclassing to run the pg spot at UK next year… ..they were saying this yesterday. Skyy is definitely a better pg than Askew, but damn, lets stop the stupidity.

But isn’t he 18 and reclassed to his original class after being held back when he was young for sports??? I’ve read that but not confirmed it.
I know that's a thing with a lot of kids, but I don’t believe thats the case with Devin.
But the main issue is he's a 4* kid with no length and no athleticism. He's a 4 year kid, which I'm happy to have, but Cal threw him right into the volcano, then yelled at him all season. He’s a tough kid, but he should be playing behind Ashton Hagans this year.

How old is he? Unless his birthday is oct-dec if he’s already 18 he’s in the class he belonged. If he’s 17 he should be a hs senior.

No kid starts their Sr year already 18 yo unless they’ve been held out along the line.

When I was in school U couldn’t even play hs sports if u were 18 when the school year started.

I know that's a thing with a lot of kids, but I don’t believe thats the case with Devin.
But the main issue is he's a 4* kid with no length and no athleticism. He's a 4 year kid, which I'm happy to have, but Cal threw him right into the volcano, then yelled at him all season. He’s a tough kid, but he should be playing behind Ashton Hagans this year.
I think DA will be really good as time goes on. He’s just really young.

How old is he? Unless his birthday is oct-dec if he’s already 18 he’s in the class he belonged. If he’s 17 he should be a hs senior.

No kid starts their Sr year already 18 yo unless they’ve been held out along the line.

When I was in school U couldn’t even play hs sports if u were 18 when the school year started.
That's weird, Indiana age restrictions kept me from graduating HS at 16. Instead, I was 17 at my graduation. I didn't get held back in Indiana, instead I took a whole year off (homeschooled before it was a thing). "too young to be in said grade".

Maybe but you don’t think he will be recruited over???
Doesn't every team "recruit over" upperclassmen?

Who does UL have returning and who are your committed recruits?

BTW, Skyy Clarke is already committed. I don't think Askew will mind just as Bledsoe didn't mind with Wall and so on.

Doesn't every team "recruit over" upperclassmen?

Who does UL have returning and who are your committed recruits?

BTW, Skyy Clarke is already committed. I don't think Askew will mind just as Bledsoe didn't mind with Wall and so on.

Come on now, we’ve had our transfers, but it’s hardly a comparison. It’s one thing to recruit over kids that never get off the bench, as opposed to kids that start or are in the rotation. Also the kids we have transfer out rarely ever go on to have success at another P5 or big time program. They usually transfer down a big notch like Darius perry playing this year at Georgia state. The last one I can even think of going to another P5 swopshire using his grad transfer to go to NW. I guess you can argue everything is a step down from uk, but y’all have had transfers success at places like UCLA, Gonzaga, and Michigan. Hardly peasants in the basketball world.

And our recruiting class isn’t hardly good enough on paper to think anyone is gonna get recruited over except possibly Igehon, who has more dnps than mins played. Our best recruit is the juco el Ellis but it’s not like he’s coming in to take DJs spot. He’s coming in to replace carliks. And if by the grace of god carlik comes back for the extra covid year, he will likely come off the bench. If Roosevelt wheeler is good enough to start at center and Malik Williams has moved on, then he might be a candidate. I’m not saying no kid has been recruited over at UL ever.

Uk lacks shooters. Yet a pretty good one or at least decent transfered away in the offseason in Juzang. Uk literally lost everyone so why wouldn’t juzang assume he would slide into the starting rotation? Oh right bc cal had Boston and Clark waiting to man the wings this year. In hindsight it looked like juzang might have helped, but idk he might just get the same treatment as Allen as far as PT or even behind him. But similar things happened with Matthews and wiltjer. I can live with quade green didn’t really belong or Marcus Lee. I don’t even remember what happened to Stacy Poole so I’ll assume he didn’t belong either.

But in all honestly I don’t know why cal has had so many talented transfers, it’s easy to assume bc they are recruited over but maybe they just didn’t like it there for what ever reason. Plus I didn’t necessarily say it was a bad thing. I mean obv it hurts continuity but bottom line is You want the best players. If skyy ______ is better than askew, you want skyy with the ball in his hands. If askew would rather transfer than back him up, well then it is what it is. I don’t think cal or any coach owes a kid anything he isn’t earning on the court.

Come on now, we’ve had our transfers, but it’s hardly a comparison. It’s one thing to recruit over kids that never get off the bench, as opposed to kids that start or are in the rotation. Also the kids we have transfer out rarely ever go on to have success at another P5 or big time program. They usually transfer down a big notch like Darius perry playing this year at Georgia state. The last one I can even think of going to another P5 swopshire using his grad transfer to go to NW. I guess you can argue everything is a step down from uk, but y’all have had transfers success at places like UCLA, Gonzaga, and Michigan. Hardly peasants in the basketball world.

And our recruiting class isn’t hardly good enough on paper to think anyone is gonna get recruited over except possibly Igehon, who has more dnps than mins played. Our best recruit is the juco el Ellis but it’s not like he’s coming in to take DJs spot. He’s coming in to replace carliks. And if by the grace of god carlik comes back for the extra covid year, he will likely come off the bench. If Roosevelt wheeler is good enough to start at center and Malik Williams has moved on, then he might be a candidate. I’m not saying no kid has been recruited over at UL ever.

Uk lacks shooters. Yet a pretty good one or at least decent transfered away in the offseason in Juzang. Uk literally lost everyone so why wouldn’t juzang assume he would slide into the starting rotation? Oh right bc cal had Boston and Clark waiting to man the wings this year. In hindsight it looked like juzang might have helped, but idk he might just get the same treatment as Allen as far as PT or even behind him. But similar things happened with Matthews and wiltjer. I can live with quade green didn’t really belong or Marcus Lee. I don’t even remember what happened to Stacy Poole so I’ll assume he didn’t belong either.

But in all honestly I don’t know why cal has had so many talented transfers, it’s easy to assume bc they are recruited over but maybe they just didn’t like it there for what ever reason. Plus I didn’t necessarily say it was a bad thing. I mean obv it hurts continuity but bottom line is You want the best players. If skyy ______ is better than askew, you want skyy with the ball in his hands. If askew would rather transfer than back him up, well then it is what it is. I don’t think cal or any coach owes a kid anything he isn’t earning on the court.
So do you think UL's incoming class will be recruited over?

Outside of Kentucky I think I’ve watched like 2 games of college basketball this season. It’s the Zags and everyone else, right? Kentucky will not make the NIT. At least Duke will have that feat!

Zags and Baylor IMO. Baylor is very legit. I've watched a ton of games this year still though. Even when UNC struggles I still enjoy watching other teams...not as much maybe but still enjoy it.

Well, yeah, they didn't get drafted, but you had several Mcdonalds AA's didn't you?
A quick search on google shiws you had

-Justin Jackson (JR) #9 recruit 2014
-Joel Berry (JR) #25 recruit 2014
-isaiah Hicks (SR) #14 recruit 2013
-Tony Bradley (FR) #19 recruit 2016
-Theo Pinson (JR) #15 recruit 2014

Plus guys like Britt, Kenny Williams and the biggest asshole cave dweller of them all, Luke stupid ass Maye… jerk.

I'm not sure I would brag too much about only 1 dude getting drafted, that team was stacked with talent that SHOULD have been drafted.

But they all got their chance in the League and didn't really do anything so it would seem that then not getting drafted was warranted. I think it makes more sense to give him credit for getting kids drafted high who really shouldn't be. I'm biased though. :)

But I agree with your point that Roy needs talent to win big. I think everyone needs talent to win.

So do you think UL's incoming class will be recruited over?

Idk. I have to see the kids play. I’ve seen DJ outplay his Mcdaa counterpart sam williamson their whole careers. I’ve seen vj king wildly underperform as a burger boy. I’ve seen kids like Kuric and Hancock and Preston knowles ball out as three stars. Hell russ smith was a two star. I thought AI would be dominant this year after a year in the program, he doesn’t even get to play. I had zero expectations for 100+ ranked Dre Davis and he is starting and playing pretty decent.

But until we get the NCAA sanctions known and past us I foresee some even leaner years from the basketball team, so unfortunately, no I cant imagine us landing anyone good enough to be a day 1 starter and take someone else’s job from the get go, or recruited over or however you wanna put it.

ADVERTISEMENT