Duke is gonna be filthy next year

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by JunkyardHawg, May 19, 2016.

1. JC for 3

JC for 3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

....Thornton was lied to, recruited over and basically shown the door....he didn't want to leave.

2. Cowtown Cat

Cowtown Cat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I also heard Stephen A say that. It wasn't just Stephen A, there were others. I was watching ESPN during the second weekend of the tournament in 2015 and there was a Vegas insider on the phone with one of the anchors. He said there was no way that Kentucky was going to win the national championship. He said it just wasn't going to happen. You can make of that what you will, but it's obvious to me what he was talking about. The anchor asked him who he thought would win the title and he said Duke, without hesitation. He was basically saying that it was already decided who the champion was going to be and it sure as hell wasn't gonna be Kentucky. I knew right then that Kentucky was gonna lose. He also went on to say that the refs sent Duke to the free throw line against Utah with no time left on the clock in order to cover the betting line. I remember the refs doing that. The game was already decided and was over and Duke went to the free throw line. Anyone else watch ESPN that day and hear this?! I'm really curious to know.

3. Phillfan

Phillfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Recruited over??? What other PG is on Dukes roster right now? You could not be further from being correct.

4. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Man, it must suck going through life thinking the world is against you.

So the year when all of Dukes big men had 3 fouls in the first half and 5 guys fouled out in the FF against Uconn? What happened that year? Did they like Calhoun better than K that year?

You guys are hysterical. UK against the world.

5. JC for 3

Expand Collapse

6. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Not sure of your point. One guys opinion. Says he is related. Why do the coaches of any team need to kiss up to a trainer/uncle of a player.

This does not prove he was recruited over or lied to.

Again, he played 26 min a game as a freshman who reclassified. Look at Dukes team this year and explain to me how he would not be the starting PG.

Your URL proves nothing.

7. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I love when people say something, and then, in support, post random links that do not address what they actually said. Nothing about being recruited over, nothing about not playing... Some random guy got mad because Duke coaches didn't say hi to him?

And yes, Vegas has already decided who will win the NCAA title. Refs are involved, the NCAA is involved. It is a massive pro-Duke conspiracy that somehow only got Duke 5 titles in 35 years, despite the fact that most people didn't go to Duke, and which SOMEHOW has not been exposed in DECADES, despite assumedly thousands of people being involved.

The average IQ around here feels low. Maybe it is just the same few people making it feel that way.

8. JC for 3

Expand Collapse

...Dookie denial knows no bounds....

9. MOX-MOX

MOX-MOX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

"And yes, Vegas has already decided who will win the NCAA title. Refs are involved, the NCAA is involved."

And your arrogant and bandwagon enough to think it's all about duke. Emmert does not like uk. He made that clear with his comments about uk fans during the kanter situation. The same kanter that he had no problem with playing college ball when it was at a school he was president of. He dislikesuk because it's fashionable amongst his ilk to do so. Many refs think uk fans were racists over tubby. Many hate cal. Many watch sportscenter and hear the jabs at uk. It is not politically correct to like kentucky.

stephen a smith is not a uk fan, he has no reason to say something like that. vegas people aren't uk fans, you and phil act like its uk fans pulling stuff out of thin air.

10. KA4Prez

KA4Prez Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

He got recruited over by Jackson. Jackson just isn't a good PG (or player) right now. THAT'S the problem.

11. WojoRising

WojoRising Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Haha

12. JustinSphere

JustinSphere Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

can we just bump this thread for next season also and change the names?

With Duke only losing Jefferson, Tatum, Jones, and probably Giles while bringing in Carter, Trent, and probably Duval... they're gonna be pretty filthy.

jarms24 and Cowtown Cat like this.
  13. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Duke hater with still no proof.

14. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

This was said on national television. It's not something I made up, it's fact. They cut the dude off in the middle of his rant. I'm not really sure what happened to Duke against UConn. I know how the 2015 tournament played out. Vegas wasn't gonna allow UK to win that title. They would have lost several millions of dollars. That Vegas insider said that very thing that day as well.

15. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Well, you convinced me. A nameless Vegas insider on some random shock jock style sports discussion show made a vague claim, and there we go. You KNOW they cut him off because the director, who is part of the conspiracy, didn't want it to be exposed on air, right? It wasn't because it was rambling nonsense. Nope... They knew he was about to give away *the entire thing*. Can you imagine how shocked and embarrassed the hundreds of people involved in the "Make Sure UK Doesn't Win Another Title, Because Eight Is As Many As We Will Allow Them To Win, And Number Eight Was Actually A Case Of The Refs Messing Up And Not Ensuring Cal And UK Lost" conspiracy would be, to finally be exposed like that? If only the national media would pick up on the story, you know? It would win someone a Pulitzer, to expose that scheme to rig one of the most watched sporting events in the world. But then again, with the way that guy got cut off, and the way no member of the media ever goes after Duke, and the way every member of the media just takes shots at Cal and UK... Well, they are all part of it, you know.

Jarms, I know making general comments about UK fans makes you super upset... So how can I phrase the idea that the percentage of UK fans who started posting here relatively recently who are paranoid crazies is orders or magnitude higher than any other fan base, without upsetting you?

16. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

And Jason, while I suspect you are being tongue in cheek, I don't think anyone has that sort of confidence for next year. And they didn't have that confidence last year. Or three years ago. So I am not sure why you think anyone would think this thread would apply next year? It isn't like it was JUST Duke fans, after all, who thought this Duke team would be one of the most historically strong teams ever... And just because some UK fans, who hate Duke more than anything, made their usual, annual "Duke is going to SUCK!" prediction doesn't mean they saw something nobody else did... It is more a case of a broken clock being right twice a day.

17. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Jackson was not recruited as a PG. Jackson is not a PG. The reason Jackson is not living up to expectations is because he has to play as a PG or when in the game, he is not playing with a PG.
    Vegas lost millions last week on the NFL playoffs. This might be the weakest and lamest argument I have ever heard. But if it helps you get through the day believing everyone is against your team, instead of just realizing that sometimes the other team is better or your team plays bad or you get out coached, then good for you.

18. jarms24

jarms24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't care what you say. You don't need my blessing. Some of the points being made I absolutely agree with. Some of them I don't. Goes for both sides.

19. jarms24

Expand Collapse

Hyperbole. I was one who essentially said to let the big 3 get back from injury and see how they gel after missing so much time. In fact, @Rhavicc and I both said that. We were lambasted by some Duke fans. There's been so many Duke threads, I can't recall the thread. It was inconceivable to some Duke fans that Duke may not be some juggernaut this season. They weren't hearing it, and strongly argued with anyone who didn't drink the kool-aid.

Of course, it wasn't all Duke fans either. That is important to note.

20. Mark Gastineau

Mark Gastineau Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I just hope we can be "filthy" come March. This thread is direct evidence that preseason hype for any team, no matter the players coming back and the players coming in, should be tempered.

bignish, Cowtown Cat and Phillfan like this.
  21. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

I'm just reflecting what you've said several times, not to clump ALL fans together. Nothing wrong with trying to adjust ones' statements to better reflect reality and all.

And I am not sure it was *entirely* hyperbole. I read some crazy stuff from some UK fans, about how Duke was going to be terrible this year, about how Tatum would be a dud and Allen was garbage and K is a terrible coach and Kennard is barely a D1 player and so on and so forth. And honestly, if you have to compare the more extreme positions taken by some UK fans to the more extreme positions taken by some Duke fans re: preseason prognostication... well, given that it wasn't just Duke fans but nearly ALL fans, and experts, saying that Duke would be a juggernaut, and given that we've seen that very highly ranked high school players usually DO pan out, and we were seeing a team with returning All Americans in pivotal roles ADDING these highly ranked high school players... well, I think that nobody should ever take an extreme position, but I don't think you can say that the predictions and reactions of anti-Duke fans with the predictions and reactions of pro-Duke fans were equally ridiculous or whathaveyou.

Mark, I agree. The season isn't over yet, and given that we've been missing a key player in each of the three games we've lost, and our coach as well for some, and have been having other guys coming back from injury... well, I hope for the best, even if in my gut (which is admittedly a very negative gut!) is a bit nervous.

22. jarms24

Expand Collapse

Well, but Rupp Rafters doesn't count. Every home board has some that go to the extreme. I don't think i saw anyone here say any of that stuff ^^^ in the preseason.

Now, after the season started, and it was clear that Duke's returning players weren't going to be able to carry them, I along with some others began to question the impact the frosh would have when they returned. That's when some of the Duke contingent got offended. We simply doubted Bolden's ability to come in and be a dominant post presence. We doubted Giles' athletic ability after all the knee surgeries, and we said Tatum returning may create chemistry issues due to his selfishness. All of those concerns were legitimate, as we're now seeing. I mean, some of you said we were "Haters" and "Jealous". But if it became reality, were we being haters or were some of you being homers?

As far as Grayson Allen. I've never been sold on him being the NPOY. He just isn't elite. His defense is suspect. He's a good shooter, not great. His bread and butter is slashing, which he can't do against above average defenders, or away from CIS where they don't parade him to the FT line for falling down.

Basically, Jefferson and Kennard are Duke's best players and they were the least hyped on the entire roster entering the season.

treyforuk, Montana81 and Cowtown Cat like this.
  23. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

It was on ESPN, not some "random shock jock style sports discussion show". Also, I'm not trying to convince you, or anyone else. So, you lump me in with the "crazy UK fans" just because I was stating something that was said on ESPN? It wasn't anything I said, I was just repeating it. If you don't think Vegas can control such things then you're more naive than I thought. It played out exactly the way the dude said it would. So, there's that anyway. You'd be surprised at how many people have the same line of thinking as I do. Just because they're not posting about it doesn't mean they don't think it. SmokinSmile

24. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

Everyone should have known better than to tab a team with no point guard and a team with very suspect perimeter defense as the undeniable favorite to win the title. UK fans weren't being haters. Fluke fans and the media were hyping this team as a once in a generation type of team and they're not even the best team in their own conference. Don't blame UK fans for seeing through the media hype bullshit.

25. Wall2Boogie

Wall2Boogie Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It should read duke will be filthy every year. Now proceed with the pissing match this is good reading material on the throne.

Cowtown Cat likes this.
  26. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

Your 20/20 hindsight is amazing. Carry on.

27. KA4Prez

Expand Collapse

I'd love to hear the reason for running Thornton off then.

Everyone said Bolden was vastly overrated in the off-season, and he's shown it. They needed to create a ride and now are stuck without a PG and way too many big guys who suck.

Lets hear something other than Duke fans blaming Thornton...

Cowtown Cat likes this.
  28. Phillfan

Expand Collapse

He was not run off. You start with an incorrect premise and ask for an explanation.

Duke did not want him to transfer.

29. KA4Prez

Expand Collapse

I guess it depends how you define that.

It's like saying "we don't want you to go, but we won't give you what you want."

Maybe I don't know the whole story but it seems that a player like Thornton would want to be (and would be) a central player on such a talented team.

30. bignish

bignish Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Why did Cal and Kenny Payne even recruit Bolden then?

31. tw3301

tw3301 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I can't believe this thread is still going...

I don't know if Thornton was lied to or not but he wasn't recruited over (0 point guards on Duke's roster so this is a stupid comment) and HE did not want to leave. His dad and some of his family definitely wanted him to leave but if it was up to him he'd still be at Duke. If you guys don't want to believe that I understand but I'm telling you what I was told from a parent of someone on the team and I'm not sure why they'd make that up. Anyway I'll try to stay away from this thread because it's filled with some of the worst posters on the board but every once in awhile I just can't help but check in.

32. KA4Prez

Expand Collapse

Why not? Never said I wouldn't want him. He just sucks as a Freshman.

33. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

20/20 hindsight's ass. I was saying that about Duke well before the season even started. Hindsight does not apply here. Nice try, though. Carry on.

513 Cowtown Cat, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  34. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

Because Cal and KP are stellar at developing big men, unlike some other programs. ;)

ALL IN YOUR FACE likes this.
  35. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

I believe the Duke posters currently hold that title. Damn near everything y'all have posted since the summer has been dead wrong. Just sayin. :rolleyes:

36. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

To defend Cowtown, it wasn't hindsight... He said bolden would suck and Duke would suck and everything from the start.

The thing is, he says it every year. So it isn't really about hindsight, but it is still bullshit;)

37. RR30

RR30 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I said Bolden was overrated from the get go and Duke not having a point guard was a big problem but I don't say it every year and it wasn't bullshit.

Also argued with a couple of losers (see bignish) that Bam might be better than Giles in college due to Giles taking a while to get back to normal. But of course that was just brushed off as homerism.

jarms24 and Cowtown Cat like this.
  38. F-Duke

F-Duke Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That was on K. They were calling it tight all game. Calhoun recognized it and sat Okafor for an insane amount of time. K decided to play chicken with the refs and lost.

39. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Hm. Okafor played more minutes than Williams, Randolph, and Horvath. He ended with three fouls. Horvath, Williams, and Randolph all fouled out. I don't see how Calhoun played it any differently. Not saying anyone was cheating or whathaveyou, but holy cow, if that happened to some other fan bases it would be eternal proof of an anti-Duke agenda.

40. Cowtown Cat

Expand Collapse

That's funny because I didn't even join this site until August of 2015. I don't recall saying that Duke would suck last year. Even if I did, I wouldn't have been too far off. Sure you don't want to try another angle on this one? Eyeroll