ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Basketball Report…

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Yo @dukedevilz @jhmossy and other fans of ACC schools. I don’t know if y’all ever go over to DBR or not (there’s sometimes some pretty decent conversation over there) but JD’s preview of FSU is possibly the laziest, most inaccurate article I’ve ever read. And that’s saying something for him, because he often has quite a few errors.

Anyway, just thought I’d say that you should in no way pull anything from that and think that it’s accurate for how FSU will be this year. It’s horrendously off base. Hell, 1/3 of the players he lists won’t even play.

Carry on.

Yo @dukedevilz @jhmossy and other fans of ACC schools. I don’t know if y’all ever go over to DBR or not (there’s sometimes some pretty decent conversation over there) but JD’s preview of FSU is possibly the laziest, most inaccurate article I’ve ever read. And that’s saying something for him, because he often has quite a few errors.

Anyway, just thought I’d say that you should in no way pull anything from that and think that it’s accurate for how FSU will be this year. It’s horrendously off base. Hell, 1/3 of the players he lists won’t even play.

Carry on.

Haha nice. No, I never read any articles from the DBR, except the one you just referenced, out of curiosity. Occasionally I'll visit the message board, but we're talking about maybe once or twice a year.

Don't think FSU has even exceeded 13 scholarships. And even if they were, super seniors like Tanor Ngom and RayQuan Evans wouldn't count against the scholarship limit.

I kind of got the sense that he doesn't really watch the games that closely. He's focusing on height, minutes played, and postseason results, more than anything else. Here's one gem from his article, "Most of Hamilton’s bigs over the years just had to be big. Their job is to clog things up inside and rebound and if Ngom can’t do it, Butler’s up. If he gets in trouble, then McLeod. And if they all strike out, well, Ballard is just 6-11 but he’ll do." Yikes. That really is some lazy writing. No details there, and it's implied that all of these taller guys offer the same skillset, which is a far cry from reality (i.e. John Butler).

Also thought it was weird he was harping on about the unconventional point guard duties. Those responsibilities fell mostly with Barnes, and not Walker, right? And he seems to think Hamilton is an underwhelming postseason coach. He won 3 tournament games in his last two years at Miami, which should not be understated. Miami had NEVER won an NCAA tournament game before Ham arrived in Coral Gables. And he's had 3 straight Sweet 16 runs (almost certainly would have been 4, if not for the 2020 cancellation). He's underselling Ham quite a bit.

FWIW, the preseason previews that I read up on the most come from Athlon, Three Man Weave, and Making The Madness.

Reactions: GE Nole

Carry on.
Why would you care about what an opposing school says about you on a message board preseason. Heck, the rankings dont mean squat until mid January.

To be fair, I don't think the dude who runs that site has ever tried or claimed to be anything but a trolling homer. I don't think anyone takes him that seriously. Just a fanboy appealing to Duke fans. Rival fans should just ignore stuff like that IMO.

Was that the Duke board that shut down for a day or two after the Lehigh and Mercer games?

Haha nice. No, I never read any articles from the DBR, except the one you just referenced, out of curiosity. Occasionally I'll visit the message board, but we're talking about maybe once or twice a year.

Don't think FSU has even exceeded 13 scholarships. And even if they were, super seniors like Tanor Ngom and RayQuan Evans wouldn't count against the scholarship limit.

I kind of got the sense that he doesn't really watch the games that closely. He's focusing on height, minutes played, and postseason results, more than anything else. Here's one gem from his article, "Most of Hamilton’s bigs over the years just had to be big. Their job is to clog things up inside and rebound and if Ngom can’t do it, Butler’s up. If he gets in trouble, then McLeod. And if they all strike out, well, Ballard is just 6-11 but he’ll do." Yikes. That really is some lazy writing. No details there, and it's implied that all of these taller guys offer the same skillset, which is a far cry from reality (i.e. John Butler).

Also thought it was weird he was harping on about the unconventional point guard duties. Those responsibilities fell mostly with Barnes, and not Walker, right? And he seems to think Hamilton is an underwhelming postseason coach. He won 3 tournament games in his last two years at Miami, which should not be understated. Miami had NEVER won an NCAA tournament game before Ham arrived in Coral Gables. And he's had 3 straight Sweet 16 runs (almost certainly would have been 4, if not for the 2020 cancellation). He's underselling Ham quite a bit.

FWIW, the preseason previews that I read up on the most come from Athlon, Three Man Weave, and Making The Madness.

Good stuff. You’re spot on. Of course you’re the most well versed college basketball fan (when it comes to all teams) that I “know” so no surprise you’re all over it lol.

Just was hilarious how far off that dude was. I can see folks who use that site as their primary information source being so confused when Cleveland Yates (a walk-on) isn’t playing big minutes hahaha.

I love the three-man-weave stuff. I’ll check out the others.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Good stuff. You’re spot on. Of course you’re the most well versed college basketball fan (when it comes to all teams) that I “know” so no surprise you’re all over it lol.

Just was hilarious how far off that dude was. I can see folks who use that site as their primary information source being so confused when Cleveland Yates (a walk-on) isn’t playing big minutes hahaha.

He must get paid by the article lol.

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I really doubt that a Duke fan is going to be confused when an FSU player doesnt play. Geez, you take this preseason stuff way to seriously. Duke fans dont care that much about FSU in the first place. Leonard has himself a good team every few years, but has really never done much in the post season. Lucky he has a job.

I know right. The guy who won the 2020 regular season title (and was trendy Final Four pick), and then replaced two lottery picks and still finished 2nd in 2021 and made the ACCT final in 2021—that guy is lucky to have a job.

😂😂😂
So one year makes a career. Leonard, although I really like him, has done less with more in my opinion.

But you keep concentrating on one year to make you feel better. How many years has he been there? ACC, African American, Florida? Come on.

So one year makes a career. Leonard, although I really like him, has done less with more in my opinion.

But you keep concentrating on one year to make you feel better. How many years has he been there? ACC, African American, Florida? Come on.

giphy.gif

Less with more would be the opposite of how id describe ham. He usually gets the most out of his players imo

Less with more would be the opposite of how id describe ham. He usually gets the most out of his players imo
Off topic, but I guess you saw where Amunga Dekonb decommitted 10 days after committing?

That's tough. What's the story?

Did he really just decommit because someone unfollowed him and he had to wait for juice, followed by a third-person hashtag…or am I getting this wrong?

IDK, that's what I"m wondering. He committed on the 3rd, and was a good get. I looked on their board and didn't see anything so thought I'd ask the regulars here. @rockycard @UL_1986 @Ipartiedwithhopgood
If this is the case this is probably a huge win for Louisville. It would be difficult to always have juice readily available over the course of a year, anyway.

If this is the case this is probably a huge win for Louisville. It would be difficult to always have juice readily available over the course of a year, anyway.
On the surface it looks as thought the guy is a headcase. You're right, probably a huge win for UL. Still bizarre to say the least.

WTF. hahaha. What? I was reading at the time and saw ppl talk about him and looked for rankings but couldn't find any and just moved on. This is nuts. And apparently, I'm as gullible as their AD.

@WojoRising

Last edited:
Reactions: WojoRising
Lmao i was like damn i must not have been to the home board in a while bc i hadnt ever even heard of the guy.

and yall wonder why we make fun of the bbn crazies so much.

Pretty funny though, must admit. Not as good as ivan renko tho. And yea what a way to spend ur free time, catfishing as basketball recruits instead of lovers lol.

@GE Nole Okay, one more. I recently started following former Clemson sharpshooter, Terrence Oglesby. His preseason analysis are worth a look. He's at least evaluating every P6 school. Here are his write-ups of the bottom two schools in the Pac-12, for example.

E-c1ABDXsAAfr9l

E-c05WOXsAAOv0a

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
^Seems kind of harsh to put Oregon State at #11 in the Pac-12, though. Yeah, they lost Ethan Thompson. But, they return 6 of their top 8 scorers from last season.

I think I would at least put them in front of Washington and Utah.

^Seems kind of harsh to put Oregon State at #11 in the Pac-12, though. Yeah, they lost Ethan Thompson. But, they return 6 of their top 8 scorers from last season.

I think I would at least put them in front of Washington and Utah.
Is that the Nevada and Georgia Mark Fox

Lmao i was like damn i must not have been to the home board in a while bc i hadnt ever even heard of the guy.

and yall wonder why we make fun of the bbn crazies so much.

Pretty funny though, must admit. Not as good as ivan renko tho. And yea what a way to spend ur free time, catfishing as basketball recruits instead of lovers lol.
E_QLYKVWEAIUbxD

@GE Nole Okay, one more. I recently started following former Clemson sharpshooter, Terrence Oglesby. His preseason analysis are worth a look. He's at least evaluating every P6 school. Here are his write-ups of the bottom two schools in the Pac-12, for example.

E-c1ABDXsAAfr9l

E-c05WOXsAAOv0a

Dang those are well done. I just gave him a follow on the tweeters.

Also, I had no idea Cal was 3-17 in league play last year. Yeesh.

Dang those are well done. I just gave him a follow on the tweeters.

Also, I had no idea Cal was 3-17 in league play last year. Yeesh.

Cal has struggled mightily since the departure of Cuonzo Martin.

But, yeah Oglesby is top notch. And he's pretty active on Twitter, too. He replied to one of my questions within 30 minutes.

Cal has struggled mightily since the departure of Cuonzo Martin.

But, yeah Oglesby is top notch. And he's pretty active on Twitter, too. He replied to one of my questions within 30 minutes.
Ill def be looking forward to his acc breakdown given its his former league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT