ADVERTISEMENT

Duke and UNC

Yes, but I also think my ACC buddies think our style of play limits our ceiling in the postseason. Some think we'll never make a Final Four with our style. Others think our style just decreases our margin of error. Most everyone hates watching us play and that our style prevents us from getting the "elite" recruits.

But I think most of them think that UVA will remain near the top of the ACC each year as long as Bennett remains at UVA. Especially when you consider that the HOF coaches in the league will be retiring.

Just like with Villanova and Jay Wright, people will label Bennett as a coach who can't win it all until he breaks through. Coaches are judged on the postseason, whether fair or not. I'm not sure if it'll happen or not but I'm not sure UVA could find a better coach that would be willing to come to UVA. I definitely never thought UVA would ever be a 1-seed in the tournament.
Think that this years team is better offensively than previous teams.Yall seem to have players that are able to hit shots at the big moments

Think that this years team is better offensively than previous teams.Yall seem to have players that are able to hit shots at the big moments

We are definitely more balanced with our scoring this year. We still lack a go-to big man offensively but our bigs do a great job screening to get our guards open shots and being serviceable in the post. We rely too much on jump shots and don't get to the line that often. But I do think we have some guys that are not afraid of the moment (Jerome, Guy, Hunter) and can hit some clutch shots.

That sounds pretty impressive. Will your ACC buddies agree with that?

Yes.

Yes, but I also think my ACC buddies think our style of play limits our ceiling in the postseason. Some think we'll never make a Final Four with our style. Others think our style just decreases our margin of error. Most everyone hates watching us play and that our style prevents us from getting the "elite" recruits.

But I think most of them think that UVA will remain near the top of the ACC each year as long as Bennett remains at UVA. Especially when you consider that the HOF coaches in the league will be retiring.

Just like with Villanova and Jay Wright, people will label Bennett as a coach who can't win it all until he breaks through. Coaches are judged on the postseason, whether fair or not. I'm not sure if it'll happen or not but I'm not sure UVA could find a better coach that would be willing to come to UVA. I definitely never thought UVA would ever be a 1-seed in the tournament.

Intentionally decreasing the number of possessions when you have more talent and more skill than your opponent (which UVA often does) is definitely decreasing your margin for error. Especially in a one and done setting.

All that said, Tony has put up some ridiculous numbers the last 5 or so years.

I think I'll probably pick UVA for the FF this year... unless they're paired with MSU, again.

Intentionally decreasing the number of possessions when you have more talent and more skill than your opponent (which UVA often does) is definitely decreasing your margin for error. Especially in a one and done setting.

All that said, Tony has put up some ridiculous numbers the last 5 or so years.

I get that point but who has UVA lost to in the tournament that has had significantly less talent than we had?

I get that point but who has UVA lost to in the tournament that has had significantly less talent than we had?

I'm not speaking about the actual results. NCAATs are inherently a crapshoot.

I'm speaking about mathematically and philosophically.

Florida last year maybe? I don't think either team had any NBA level draft prospects.

I'm not speaking about the actual results. NCAATs are inherently a crapshoot.

I'm speaking about mathematically and philosophically.

Yes, I get that. My point is that it's probably not as big a mathematical disadvantage as some suggest.

Florida last year maybe? I don't think either team had any NBA level draft prospects.

Agreed but UVA definitely didn't have a significant talent advantage over UF last year.

My point is that UVA has not yet fallen victim to a big upset in the tournament.

Yes, I get that. My point is that it's probably not as big a mathematical disadvantage as some suggest.

Agreed but UVA definitely didn't have a significant talent advantage over UF last year.

My point is that UVA has not yet fallen victim to a big upset in the tournament.

Syracuse. I get they had some talent, but that was absolutely a big upset.

My take on UVAs style and why it doesnt translate to NCAAT success is that they don’t really put teams away. They can dominate long stretches of a game but still only be up single digits (Pitt games aside). In a regular season home game, a late 8 point lead for them is almost insurmountable. But in a tournament game a couple quick baskets by the other team and now the pressure is seriously on.

Syracuse. I get they had some talent, but that was absolutely a big upset.

Yeah, in terms of seeding, it was a big upset. I believe UVA was favored by 10 points. But we also didn't lose that game because of pace. In fact, we lost that game because Cuse was actually able to speed us up and because Malachi Richardson went ballistic.

My take on UVAs style and why it doesnt translate to NCAAT success is that they don’t really put teams away. They can dominate long stretches of a game but still only be up single digits (Pitt games aside). In a regular season home game, a late 8 point lead for them is almost insurmountable. But in a tournament game a couple quick baskets by the other team and now the pressure is seriously on.

Perhaps but that would not explain why UVA has consistently been in the top 10 in scoring margin. We are currently 7th in nation at 15.4 points per game. You can say we don't win in the NCAA because we choke but I don't think pace is the reason considering we use the same pace in the regular season as we do in the tourney.

Devin Robinson was a 5 star guy who is currently on a two-way contract with Wizards. I bet he ends up playing at least 1 season in the NBA.

Justin Leon has played about 20mpg in G-league this year, but less confident he gets a shot in league.

Reactions: jhmossy
Devin Robinson was a 5 star guy who is currently on a two-way contract with Wizards. I bet he ends up playing at least 1 season in the NBA.

Justin Leon has played about 20mpg in G-league this year, but less confident he gets a shot in league.

Yeah I didn't list Devin Robinson because he wasn't drafted. But that dude has more talent than anyone that was on UVA's roster last year.

Yeah, in terms of seeding, it was a big upset. I believe UVA was favored by 10 points. But we also didn't lose that game because of pace. In fact, we lost that game because Cuse was actually able to speed us up and because Malachi Richardson went ballistic.

Yeah, they did a great job pressing UVA to come back in the second half. I'm a Carolina fan from Virginia that has enjoyed seeing UVA do well, but I was obviously thrilled about the outcome of that one at the time.

Reactions: jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT