ADVERTISEMENT

Duke and UNC

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Being a non ACC CBB fan, when I hear talk about the ACC I always think of Duke and UNC. Where did Virginia come from and how are the ACC leaders?

Virginia is the best defensive team in the country. They get a bad rap for winning ugly but they keep winning.

Virginia is the best defensive team in the country. They get a bad rap for winning ugly but they keep winning.
Do they pull the kinda talent that Duke and UNC do? Are they just super well coached?

Virginia is a flash in the pan OP. Bennett will be at an NAIA program by next year after the Feds finish their CBB purge.

Reactions: tw3301
Their talent is more like UNC’s than Duke’s. It’s a bunch of top 100 guys, maybe top 150, who stay for 4 years and grow and develop as a team.

Old school, how about coaching?

Being a non ACC CBB fan, when I hear talk about the ACC I always think of Duke and UNC. Where did Virginia come from and how are the ACC leaders?

Tony Bennett. Tony Bennett. Tony Bennett.

People can knock him for his style of play and not making a Final Four (yet) but he is an excellent coach and UVA is beyond lucky to have him on the sidelines. UVA has won the regular season "crown" 3 out of the last 5 seasons. This season isn't even close. That is no flash in the pan or fluke.

He has an uncanny ability to get players to play united and hard on every possession. Excellent defensively and efficient offensively. He finds the right guys for his program regardless of recruiting rankings and coaches them up to excel in his system. He gets players to redshirt and grow in the program. And I would argue that he does it with class and integrity.

Virginia plays with discipline and focus. They play a style of basketball that isn't easy on the eyes, but wins games. It hasn't translated into postseason success as of yet, but this year may be different. They don't typically give up leads and if they don't turn the ball over on offense, there isn't really much teams can do to pull away from them.

I gained more respect for them after Duke came back from (may be wrong) 13 and took the lead at home against them and they ended up regaining control in the final minute and finished the job. A lot of teams would have lost confidence in that moment.

Of course the tournament is a win or go home situation and if they have a poor game and lose early, people will judge them for that one game. But they deserve a lot of credit for what they have done this year.

Tony Bennett. Tony Bennett. Tony Bennett.

People can knock him for his style of play and not making a Final Four (yet) but he is an excellent coach and UVA is beyond lucky to have him on the sidelines. UVA has won the regular season "crown" 3 out of the last 5 seasons. This season isn't even close. That is no flash in the pan or fluke.

He has an uncanny ability to get players to play united and hard on every possession. Excellent defensively and efficient offensively. He finds the right guys for his program regardless of recruiting rankings and coaches them up to excel in his system. He gets players to redshirt and grow in the program. And I would argue that he does it with class and integrity.
That sounds pretty impressive. Will your ACC buddies agree with that?

UVA has been pretty good the past 5-6 years really. The fact the haven’t really a FF team puts them under the radar nationally. Well coached in an ugly, old school style but it works. They have been a top ACC contender with a few ACC titles the past few years.

That sounds pretty impressive. Will your ACC buddies agree with that?

Yes, but I also think my ACC buddies think our style of play limits our ceiling in the postseason. Some think we'll never make a Final Four with our style. Others think our style just decreases our margin of error. Most everyone hates watching us play and that our style prevents us from getting the "elite" recruits.

But I think most of them think that UVA will remain near the top of the ACC each year as long as Bennett remains at UVA. Especially when you consider that the HOF coaches in the league will be retiring.

Just like with Villanova and Jay Wright, people will label Bennett as a coach who can't win it all until he breaks through. Coaches are judged on the postseason, whether fair or not. I'm not sure if it'll happen or not but I'm not sure UVA could find a better coach that would be willing to come to UVA. I definitely never thought UVA would ever be a 1-seed in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Virginia plays a pack line defense and they use their body’s to push guys out of key areas. They don’t hand check they foul with their bodies which works in ACC, but when they get to the NCAA tournament those fouls get called which turns into an early exit.

UNC and Duke have better more talented players and usually go further in the tournament because games are called tighter in the tournament than in conference.

Virginia plays a pack line defense and they use their body’s to push guys out of key areas. They don’t hand check they foul with their bodies which works in ACC, but when they get to the NCAA tournament those fouls get called which turns into an early exit.

UNC and Duke have better more talented players and usually go further in the tournament because games are called tighter in the tournament than in conference.

Show me the data that UVA gets called for more fouls in the tourney than in the ACC.

Also, if this in indeed true (which it's not), then ACC refs are actually hurting UVA by not calling things how they'll be called in the tourney.

What you are suggesting is that ACC refs are conspiring in favor of UVA. That's pretty much the funniest thing ever said on this board.

They been better than USC jr since Bennett got there. They’re recruiting isn’t anything like Duke or UK but Bennett can flat out coach.
Easy....remove your lips from Bennett's taint and calm down. The man is smoke and mirrors. The sooner you guys accept this, the better. Bennett has reached his ceiling and will probably get axed when the probe is done.

Easy....remove your lips from Bennett's taint and calm down. The man is smoke and mirrors. The sooner you guys accept this, the better. Bennett has reached his ceiling and will probably get axed when the probe is done.

This is an interesting new schtick you're doing

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Your Cocks are a flash in the pan. It’ll be another 10 years before you guys will sniff a NCAA bid.
Please. Remember, you guys had to change rules to keep us from dominating your conference and the only sport you guys matter at.

But I think most of them think that UVA will remain near the top of the ACC each year as long as Bennett remains at UVA. Especially when you consider that the HOF coaches in the league will be retiring.

Keatts is also in a good position to step into those shoes. It would be weird to see NC State and Virginia be the teams to beat in the ACC if that plays out. Earyl 80's weird.

Please. Remember, you guys had to change rules to keep us from dominating your conference and the only sport you guys matter at.

And you remember even the little guy has thier day. You would of been a bottom feeder had you stayed. Outside of baseball what titles and how many have you won?

If that happens he will be a upgrade of what you have now.

The answer will still be more than South Carolina has.
Just remember, you are the reason we left. You couldn't handle Frank sticking it in your buttholes when he felt like it so you changed rules like the bitches you are? Why is that so hard for you people to accept. That's what you did, it's public record. UNC will always be a twat University.

Don’t give a damn about public opinion but you think when someone mentions Carolina they’re talking the Cocks which is to funny.
RollLaugh. Of course not, how could you??? That's what allows you to justify it in your pathetic minds.

ADVERTISEMENT