ADVERTISEMENT

Duke’s easy ACC schedule

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Digging into the ACC’s unbalanced schedule a little and it’s crazy how much easier Duke’s is. UL, FSU, and UVA all play two games against each other. UL and FSU both traveled to Duke. Meanwhile, Duke plays UL, FSU, and UVA once each, and 2 of the 3 games were at home.

With 2 games left, Duke had played the easiest schedule in the league by a WIDE margin. The difference between their conference schedule and the 14th hardest conference slate (the second easiest) is the same gap as the difference between the 14th hardest and the 9th hardest.

And the Blue Devils are still very likely not going to finish as the 1 seed in the ACCT. Let that sink in.

Digging into the ACC’s unbalanced schedule a little and it’s crazy how much easier Duke’s is. UL, FSU, and UVA all play two games against each other. UL and FSU both traveled to Duke. Meanwhile, Duke plays UL, FSU, and UVA once each, and 2 of the 3 games were at home.

With 2 games left, Duke had played the easiest schedule in the league by a WIDE margin. The difference between their conference schedule and the 14th hardest conference slate (the second easiest) is the same gap as the difference between the 14th hardest and the 9th hardest.

And the Blue Devils are still very likely not going to finish as the 1 seed in the ACCT. Let that sink in.
Why, as a FSU fan would you do this? With two games left in the regular season

Do what? Analyze basketball?
No, Duke and at this time of the year.
I just find it odd.

Do you think this is a normal year for UNc? For the ACC?

But as long as it makes you feel better after your Clemson loss yesterday, fine with me.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
This league is just so down this year I'm not sure it warrants too much review. I understand why fans want to win the league but when it's this bad who gives a shit is my opinion. I'm more interested in seeing how the teams perform in the big bracket. It's a 2nd chance to make amends for uninspiring seasons for maybe all of them that will get a seat, including FSU. How did FSU "uninspire" you ask? Ok so that is a stretch, but next paragraph will explain where I'm coming from.

I feel like FSU is the top team in the league. I know FSU fan should feel good about their year overall. That's all that matters. There is a part of me that does think FSU kind of pissed away a golden opportunity to separate and make that strong claim for this year's ACC supremacy. So when I say they can make amends this is what I'm referencing.

Do fans really care about the league tourney? I know it can improve/hurt seeding, but sometimes I think the extra rest could be more valuable with an early or earlier league tourney loss.

No, Duke and at this time of the year.
I just find it odd.

Do you think this is a normal year for UNc? For the ACC?

But as long as it makes you feel better after your Clemson loss yesterday, fine with me.

I’m seriously trying to understand what your point is, but I’m having a difficult time. Are you suggesting that because FSU lost I shouldn’t post about other teams in the league? I just don’t get it.

FSU doesn’t have anything to do with this post. We lost a game that was very loseable. It happens. Same for Duke. I don’t really care about whether FSU finishes as the 1 seed in the ACC tourney or the 2 seed. Or even the 4 seed. Just get me the double bye.

This was a post about the unbalanced schedule and how much it favored Duke. I was hoping before the season started that going to 20 games would make things more balanced. But this year it seems wider than ever. Just crazy that the chips fell as they did so lopsided for Duke, and Duke still won’t have the best record outright. Never would have guessed it 3-4 weeks ago. Seemed like Duke was set up to cruise in for a 17-3 finish.

This league is just so down this year I'm not sure it warrants too much review. I understand why fans want to win the league but when it's this bad who gives a shit is my opinion. I'm more interested in seeing how the teams perform in the big bracket. It's a 2nd chance to make amends for uninspiring seasons for maybe all of them that will get a seat, including FSU. How did FSU "uninspire" you ask? Ok so that is a stretch, but next paragraph will explain where I'm coming from.

I feel like FSU is the top team in the league. I know FSU fan should feel good about their year overall. That's all that matters. There is a part of me that does think FSU kind of pissed away a golden opportunity to separate and make that strong claim for this year's ACC supremacy. So when I say they can make amends this is what I'm referencing.

Do fans really care about the league tourney? I know it can improve/hurt seeding, but sometimes I think the extra rest could be more valuable with an early or earlier league tourney loss.

I care about the league tourney. Any person who’s been a fan of an ACC school for 20+ years cares about the league tourney. It’s what decides the league champion.

Duke was #6 in the NET prior to the NC State game. Losing 3 of 4 since then has dropped them all the way down to #6 in the NET. Laughing

Road losses don’t hurt nearly as much because they aren’t counted as a full loss. A road loss is only 0.6 of a loss to the NET. Road wins count as 1.4 of a win.

So if you went 1-3 in 4 road games, your record to the NET in those games is 1.4-1.8.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I care about the league tourney. Any person who’s been a fan of an ACC school for 20+ years cares about the league tourney. It’s what decides the league champion.

I can understand that sort of standard logic, because the ACC is almost always a top league. As a fan of UofL when they won a B East tourney that was loaded that felt good and was also a springboard to a deep NCAA run.

The ACC is just so bad this year it doesn't carry the same meaning for me, and UofL is still very much in the hunt for it.

So when I hear you talk about the unbalanced schedule and who had the easier path... while it might make some sense in some ways, my counter is, everybody had an easy path because the league is bad from top to bottom pretty much. The top teams can't beat Clemson. Or Wake. Or G Tech. Or Pitt.

OTOH I can see as a fan that's been in the league for a few decades and seen UNC/Duke own it, and now UVA... yeah I guess I could see why you might want it a little more.

Reactions: Quavarius
Been saying for months that Duke is a fraud this year and metrics, like the NET, have helped them hide.

I trust Florida state and Louisville to go deep in the tournament. Both squads have all the ingredients you need, strong at all 5 positions.

Duke has 2 elite players, the rest are role players. They look like a first weekend team to me. Maybe coach K can get them to the second weekend, but I don't think even K has enough in his bag of tricks to get this team very far.

They better finish strong, or they'll end up as a 4 seed.

Reactions: EVERHARTA
I can understand that sort of standard logic, because the ACC is almost always a top league. As a fan of UofL when they won a B East tourney that was loaded that felt good and was also a springboard to a deep NCAA run.

The ACC is just so bad this year it doesn't carry the same meaning for me, and UofL is still very much in the hunt for it.

So when I hear you talk about the unbalanced schedule and who had the easier path... while it might make some sense in some ways, my counter is, everybody had an easy path because the league is bad from top to bottom pretty much. The top teams can't beat Clemson. Or Wake. Or G Tech. Or Pitt.

OTOH I can see as a fan that's been in the league for a few decades and seen UNC/Duke own it, and now UVA... yeah I guess I could see why you might want it a little more.

You seem to be conflating regular season with ACCT. I don’t really care who finishes with the best record in the regular season. You don’t get rings and trophies for that. I do care about winning the ACC Championship—which is the winner of the tournament. Who wouldn’t want to see their team cut down nets? It was a blast when I watched FSU do it in Atlanta in 2012 and I’d love it now too.

As for top teams losing to Clemson, did you expect an undefeated season? Every year the top teams in conferences lose road games against the middle tier. Happens in the Big 10. Happens in the Big East. Happens in the SEC. Kansas has had a weird domination over an always overrated Big 12, but even they drop some most years. So I’m not sure what your point is.

To win the ACC Championship, a team is still gonna have to likely beat at least two of FSU/Duke/UL/UVA. That’s 4 Sweet 16 or better type of teams.

I don’t really care who finishes with the best record in the regular season.

The thread title says "Duke's easy ACC schedule" meaning this was a thread to discuss the ACC Regular season since Duke's easy ACC schedule was part of the regular season. You're pointing out Duke should have won the ACC regular season given their schedule. So if you don't care who finishes with with the best regular season why are you creating a thread about why Duke should have won the regular season?

I’m seriously trying to understand what your point is, but I’m having a difficult time. Are you suggesting that because FSU lost I shouldn’t post about other teams in the league? I just don’t get it.

FSU doesn’t have anything to do with this post. We lost a game that was very loseable. It happens. Same for Duke. I don’t really care about whether FSU finishes as the 1 seed in the ACC tourney or the 2 seed. Or even the 4 seed. Just get me the double bye.

This was a post about the unbalanced schedule and how much it favored Duke. I was hoping before the season started that going to 20 games would make things more balanced. But this year it seems wider than ever. Just crazy that the chips fell as they did so lopsided for Duke, and Duke still won’t have the best record outright. Never would have guessed it 3-4 weeks ago. Seemed like Duke was set up to cruise in for a 17-3 finish.

Reference the bolded part of your post:

It is called obfuscation or in the country we say it is mudding up the water. The facts are Duke’s schedule in the ACC was favorable to Duke. You point that out, but it hurts too bad to accept so you muddy up the water with a straw man argument. Duke's schedule is the subject and Clemson is the straw man.

The thread title says "Duke's easy ACC schedule" meaning this was a thread to discuss the ACC Regular season since Duke's easy ACC schedule was part of the regular season. You're pointing out Duke should have won the ACC regular season given their schedule. So if you don't care who finishes with with the best regular season why are you creating a thread about why Duke should have won the regular season?

I don’t care in the sense that it bothers me or I’m rooting for it. I do care in the sense that I love talking college basketball and I it’s an interesting look at the season long performance of a team many were projecting as a top 3-4 team this year. It’s another factor to consider when evaluating teams for your NCAAT brackets and what not.

Basically, it’s talking shop, man. It’s part of analyzing college basketball and breaking down the resumes of teams. It’s not about who “wins” the ACC regular season, it’s about evaluating what the contenders have been doing.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Reference the bolded part of your post:

It is called obfuscation or in the country we say it is mudding up the water. The facts are Duke’s schedule in the ACC was favorable to Duke. You point that out, but it hurts too bad to accept so you muddy up the water with a straw man argument. Duke's schedule is the subject and Clemson is the straw man.

Gotcha. Well said.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
You seem to be conflating regular season with ACCT. I don’t really care who finishes with the best record in the regular season. You don’t get rings and trophies for that. I do care about winning the ACC Championship—which is the winner of the tournament. Who wouldn’t want to see their team cut down nets? It was a blast when I watched FSU do it in Atlanta in 2012 and I’d love it now too.

As for top teams losing to Clemson, did you expect an undefeated season? Every year the top teams in conferences lose road games against the middle tier. Happens in the Big 10. Happens in the Big East. Happens in the SEC. Kansas has had a weird domination over an always overrated Big 12, but even they drop some most years. So I’m not sure what your point is.

To win the ACC Championship, a team is still gonna have to likely beat at least two of FSU/Duke/UL/UVA. That’s 4 Sweet 16 or better type of teams.

Must be an ACC thing.
The best team of 20 conference games vs the best team of a 3 to 5 game tournament ?

Regular season champions is better.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
Regular season is more indicative of who the best team is. Tournament crowns the champion. The unbalanced schedule may favor Duke this year but it favors different teams each year. UNC and Duke usually have the disadvantage of always playing each other twice. This year that doesn't help them strength wise.

Regular season is more indicative of who the best team is. Tournament crowns the champion. The unbalanced schedule may favor Duke this year but it favors different teams each year. UNC and Duke usually have the disadvantage of always playing each other twice. This year that doesn't help them strength wise.
This.

I don’t care in the sense that it bothers me or I’m rooting for it. I do care in the sense that I love talking college basketball and I it’s an interesting look at the season long performance of a team many were projecting as a top 3-4 team this year. It’s another factor to consider when evaluating teams for your NCAAT brackets and what not.

Basically, it’s talking shop, man. It’s part of analyzing college basketball and breaking down the resumes of teams. It’s not about who “wins” the ACC regular season, it’s about evaluating what the contenders have been doing.
Where were MSU and UNc ranked preseason?

This.

Where’s the “UVA got lucky they only got Duke once at home” nit picking? Oh, that only works one way. No one complained when Duke had to play @ FSU, @UL, @UVA, @UNC last year. Now, when Duke gets the return games (besides @ UVA) it’s an issue?

It wasn’t Duke’s fault the year UL and FSU were going to be elite was when they had to return those games from last year. It wasn’t Duke’s fault UNC is struggling this season. But, that doesn’t fit into the narrative.

Where’s the “UVA got lucky they only got Duke once at home” nit picking? Oh, that only works one way. No one complained when Duke had to play @ FSU, @UL, @UVA, @UNC last year. Now, when Duke gets the return games (besides @ UVA) it’s an issue?

It wasn’t Duke’s fault the year UL and FSU were going to be elite was when they had to return those games from last year. It wasn’t Duke’s fault UNC is struggling this season. But, that doesn’t fit into the narrative.
@jhmossy

I mean, you all complained.

You guys did the same thing a few years back when UNC had that type of schedule so it seems like that selective amnesia is a bitch.

Must be an ACC thing.
The best team of 20 conference games vs the best team of a 3 to 5 game tournament ?

Regular season champions is better.

Basketball is a sport built on tournaments. It’s the essence of the sport. The regular season is prep and practice for the tournament. Your great record gets you a bye and a better draw, but you still have to prove it on the court when it matters.

Reactions: j-doolsheels

Absolutely. I definitely know the why. Heck, top 3 conference teams will never have a top 3 conference schedule because they can’t play themselves. @Afamu seems to have some weird defense mechanism kicking in where he thinks I’m trying to suggest Duke was given preferential treatment or something. Idk. Some folks like to dish out crap but can’t handle it given back.

My point isn’t trying to figure out why Duke has by far the easiest ACC slate. We all know UNC sucks and they played the other top 4 teams only once each.

My point was trying to better understand why this talented and deep Duke team wasn’t able to take advantage of the huge schedule break and finish 17-3 or so in league play. Just makes you reevaluate things come March and bracket pickems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT