Duckboy's PAC 12/MWC Power Rankings

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by duckboy33, Sep 16, 2018.

1. duckboy33

duckboy33 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

PAC 12:

1. Stanford - Stanford got off to a slow start but went on to beat UC Davis 30-10. Stanford gets a big road test as they head to Autzen Stadium to play the Ducks next Saturday.

2. Washington - UW won a tough road game against Utah 21-7. UW's defense played lights out against Utah but the offense still looks pedestrian. They lack the explosiveness on offense that we've seen the last two seasons from the Huskies.

3. Colorado - Colorado improved to 3-0 with a blowout win over New Hampshire. The win over Nebraska has lost some luster but they have to be the favorite to win the PAC 12 South right now.

4. Washington State - Wazzu improved to 3-0 with a win over Eastern Washington. Cougars seems to be clicking on both sides of the ball. Wazzu lost a ton of guys from last year but the pirate has done it again.

5. California - California's win over BYU is looking a lot more impressive right now. Cal is 3-0 and they have a bye before they host Oregon.

6. Oregon - Ducks really struggled against a bad San Jose State but they improved to 3-0. We'll find out what the Ducks are made of in their next 3 games (Stanford, at Cal, Washington).

7. Arizona State - ASU suffered a setback after beating Michigan State. SDSU has beaten them for the 2nd consecutive season.

8. Utah - Utah's defense is good enough to keep them in most games but their offense is good enough to keep their opponents in most games. Utah never makes things easy but I don't see them winning the South, even given how down it is.

9. USC - USC looked bad in a 37-14 loss to Texas. If USC loses to Washington State, is Clay Helton's job on the line?

10. Arizona - Arizona finally got the first win of the Kevin Sumlin era as they blew out Southern Utah. However, Arizona's defense still looks atrocious and their offense isn't the same as it was last year.

11. Oregon State - Beavers nearly got their 2nd consecutive victory against Nevada on Saturday. The Beavers came back from a 30-7 deficit and had a chance to win the game with a late field goal. But a shanked field goal leaves the Beavers at 1-2 going into PAC 12 play.

12. UCLA - The Chip Kelly era is off to a really bad start as Fresno State blew out UCLA on Saturday. Bruins fall to 0-3 as they have a lot of freshmen playing out there.

MWC:
    1. Boise State - Despite a loss in Stillwater, Boise is still the favorite to win the MWC.

2. San Diego State - Aztecs got a big win over Arizona State.

3. Fresno State - Fresno knocked off PAC 12 foe UCLA.

4. Utah State - Utah State put 70 points on the board this week. USU's only loss is a close loss at Michigan State .

5. Hawaii - Hawaii fell to 3-1 after a cross country trip to West Point.

6. Nevada - Nevada knocked off Oregon State to improve to 2-1.

7. Wyoming - Wyoming gets back to .500 with a win over Wofford.

8. Air Force - AF had a bye this week and remains 1-1.

9. UNLV - UNLV has won back to back games after an opening day loss to USC.

10. New Mexico - Lobos win a rivalry game over New Mexico State.

11. Colorado State - CSU got blown out by Florida. Their win vs. Arkansas is looking less and less impressive.

12. San Jose State - Spartans played surprisingly well in Eugene but still fell to 0-3 on the season.

Best of the West Rankings:
    1. Stanford
    2. Washington
    3. Colorado
    4. Washington State
    5. California
    6. BYU
    7. Boise State
    8. Oregon
    9. San Diego State
    10. Fresno State

2. stanfordgt

stanfordgt Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

stanford just confuses me. this was supposed to be our stellar ol, all highly recruited and all experienced. we struggled to move uc davis off the los yesterday. way too many tackles at the los or in our backfield. i think the talent's there, but the new regime of coordinators must be doing something with the run game scheme..... hopefully there's an ability to adapt.

i've been pleased with the passing game in general. new oc tavita pritchard is emphasizing short possession passes and the talent we have lines up well with that approach. kj's coming on, although he displayed some poor decisions against davis resulting in 2 interceptions and a few floaters / pulled string passes. if we can get wedington back from injury that should open up a deep threat. i'd love to see a bit more scrambling ability from kj, we'll need that with the up coming schedule.

defensively we're better than expected although our scheme still allows way too many yards underneath. we haven't been tested with a top balanced offense - unknown how we'll respond at oregon.

hopefully love will come back strong and pritchard will keep defenses guessing with his play calling... that's our chance to progress in the pac.

fwiw uc davis was a surprise. hawkins is doing a good job there and they were ready to play. we caught a few breaks or the outcome would have been much closer. this was a team we should have dominated, but didn't, and that gives more that a little heartburn

3. CainSC

CainSC Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Looks about right. I still think Udub beats Stanford and wins the conference.

duckboy33 likes this.
  4. TOMMY TROJAN

TOMMY TROJAN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think Duckzilla needs to move up to #2, A-state needs to move up and USC needs to drop one notch below Zone Ugh. I predict a Wazzu win this week. Why do so many pac schools, 4, have off this week?

1. THE TREE
    2. Duckzilla
    3. Washington
    4. Chip
    5. A-state
    6. Washington State
    7. Oski
    8. Utah
    9. Zona
    10. USC
    11. The Beav
    12. The Uclans

darkwing27, duckboy33 and CainSC like this.
  5. CainSC

CainSC Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I still have us ahead of Zona, as in I THINK we beat them even on the road, but I honestly don't feel great about any game going forward.

duckboy33 likes this.
  6. TOMMY TROJAN

Expand Collapse

I have Zero confidence in the coaching staff, AD and the support of the school administration to Football.

7. CainSC

CainSC Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nor do I, but the talent will carry them through some games imo.

8. Unforkgiven

Unforkgiven Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We were robbed, Glasses Ref would've been proud.

TOMMY TROJAN and duckboy33 like this.
  9. TOMMY TROJAN

Expand Collapse

SAN DIEGO STATE and A-state could develop into a good yearly rivalry game, like a Clemson-Georgia.

10. Duckdude73

Duckdude73 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m genuinely curious to see which Ducks and which Cardinal team shows up Saturday. Both have had head scratching moments and others where they have looked very good. Good luck Sat, hope we win of course but I respect Stanford a ton :)

darkwing27 likes this.
  11. stanfordgt

stanfordgt Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

no one in the pac looks like they're executing.

what's going against us are the away games (autzen - tough, seattle - we never win in wa, n.d, asu, cal....). maybe getting away from home will provide some focus...

regardless i just hope for a well played game by both with non intrusive officiating....

should be fun

duckboy33 and Duckdude73 like this.
  12. hillbillyzombie

hillbillyzombie Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Before they can be called Duckzilla we need to see how they play against the Trees

13. DuckWeber

DuckWeber Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what they're spiking the Cool-Ade in Lalaland with o_O, but if it gets the Ducks to #2 in the Conference, I want some. :rolleyes:

14. TOMMY TROJAN

Expand Collapse

Duckzilla is back!

14 TOMMY TROJAN, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  15. duckboy33

Expand Collapse

Oh lord

Tortilla Launcher likes this.
  16. ZK686

ZK686 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

When the MW goes 3-1 against the PAC, I'm happy.

I don't care how bad the PAC teams are...you're still talking about smaller schools with a lot less resources beating schools in the West with much more to work with.

Go MW!

17. TOMMY TROJAN

Expand Collapse

You've proven that you're on equal ground with the pac, even with less resources. Time to protest the P5 status of the pac and become one of the P5.

darkwing27 likes this.
  18. IrktogBuff

IrktogBuff Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It wasn't a good weekend but prior to that the Pac was 5-0 against the MW.

19. ZK686

ZK686 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yea, I'm not going to get too excited, because over-all, the PAC will do good and will rebound.

The MW on the other hand, has a couple good teams that are inconsistent, and then there's Boise State.

The PAC is still light years ahead of the MW.

20. YellowlabOSU

YellowlabOSU Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not last means we are first place in my book.

duckboy33 likes this.
  21. duckboy33

Expand Collapse

The MWC isn’t a P5 conference but it’s much stronger than the MAC, Sun Belt or CUSA