ADVERTISEMENT

Down goes #3 Nova

Kevin Bryan

Apr 30, 2011
Entertaining game to watch. VT was down 1 and hit an and-1 with 1.3 seconds left to go up 2. He actually tried to miss the FT but banked it in. Nova drew a foul on the inbound. Inbounder running the baseline chases the defender right into a screen, defensive foul. Cheap ass foul but it is what it is. Made both free throws to send it to OT. VT was pretty dominant in OT, won 81-73.

Reactions: VAWildcat15
Agreed, it was most definitely cheap. Tbh, I thought nova was gonna turn on the heaters in OT, which would’ve been a crushing blow to Tech if things would’ve gone differently, esp w that foul.
I thought so too.

Reactions: UL_1986
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi!!! What a game, incredible composure in OT given the situation that got them there.

Illinois or Duke, should be Illinois I think.
I think so too. Illinois got lucky to escape Ohio and Duke looked like garbage (based on the box score) against Coppin State, but they both won and that's all that matters. There will be a lot of shaking up of the top 25 in the next few weeks.

I think so too. Illinois got lucky to escape Ohio and Duke looked like garbage (based on the box score) against Coppin State, but they both won and that's all that matters. There will be a lot of shaking up of the top 25 in the next few weeks.

Agreed. I'd give the edge to Illinois because they have two straight up murders to offset their close call. I'm absolutely certain Duke is more than 10 points better than Coppin State, but they'll have their chance to prove their worth.

Should be a lot of motion in the top 25. Really fun start to the year!

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Agreed. I'd give the edge to Illinois because they have two straight up murders to offset their close call. I'm absolutely certain Duke is more than 10 points better than Coppin State, but they'll have their chance to prove their worth.

Should be a lot of motion in the top 25. Really fun start to the year!
No doubt, the first two games for Illinois were murders.

Yup.

I had a 6 team parlay, including USC, and hit everything except f***ing Villanova.....
I would almost rather lose like that though, on one that isn't even close. A 10 point favorite losing by 8. Hurts even more when you're so close and lose it all by half a point or some shit. I lost a grand on Cincinnati football last week. Running back went down intentionally at the 1 instead of scoring the walk in TD. Guess he saw the Penn State game earlier this season. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would almost rather lose like that though, on one that isn't even close. A 10 point favorite losing by 8. Hurts even more when you're so close and lose it all by half a point or some shit. I lost a grand on Cincinnati football last week. Running back went down intentionally at the 1 instead of scoring the walk in TD. Guess he saw the Penn State game earlier this season. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Lol yep, I actually just went moneyline because I knew there was a possibility Virginia Tech could make it a game....but to hell with it, I guess.

I saw that Cincy ending too, but it reminded me instead of Nick Chubb having a breakaway TD run in his first game back from injury and going out at the 1 so Cleveland could run out the clock, thus almost screwing me over in my FF game (which I ended up winning by 1 point because the Vikings botched an XP try against the Bears)......

• Wow
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Lol yep, I actually just went moneyline because I knew there was a possibility Virginia Tech could make it a game....but to hell with it, I guess.

I saw that Cincy ending too, but it reminded me instead of Nick Chubb having a breakaway TD run in his first game back from injury and going out at the 1 so Cleveland could run out the clock, thus almost screwing me over in my FF game (which I ended up winning by 1 point because the Vikings botched an XP try against the Bears)......
I remember that too!! Man, you must have been stoked when that Villanova game went to OT, just for them to shit the bed after that. Luckily I didn't lose much out of pocket, just trying to turn my previous winnings into much bigger winnings. 😆

Duke turned the ball over a ridiculous amount and fouled a lot as well. Coppin St had two guys scoring, if they had a third, they would have had a realistic chance at winning that game.

Duke's returning players looked like shit IMO. But DJ Steward is a scoring machine, or was yesterday anyways. He should be fun to watch. Jalen Johnson looks like a problem for other teams. 19pts 19rebs 5ast 5blks 8-8 shooting in his debut. He did have 7 turnovers, can't get away with that every game.

But yeah. Overall it was an ugly performance outside of Jalen Johnson and DJ Steward. If they eventually reach the top 5, it will certainly be by default.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Pace was a bit slow, but finally picked up the last 10 minutes or so of the second half. Hate the foul call with 1 second left. Fortunately, VT was able to maintain their composure - and they proved to be the better team in the overtime. Can't say I've been blown away with Villanova's performances these past few games. They're good, just feel like they're missing something to be super elite. Perhaps a dynamic player on the wing? Idk. Just feel like Gonzaga and Baylor have better pieces at this point.

Great win for Virginia Tech. They always seem to do well against these top-caliber teams. VT finally has some quality big men this year. I could see them being in the top 5 or 6 of the ACC.

Duke turned the ball over a ridiculous amount and fouled a lot as well. Coppin St had two guys scoring, if they had a third, they would have had a realistic chance at winning that game.

Duke's returning players looked like shit IMO. But DJ Steward is a scoring machine, or was yesterday anyways. He should be fun to watch. Jalen Johnson looks like a problem for other teams. 19pts 19rebs 5ast 5blks 8-8 shooting in his debut. He did have 7 turnovers, can't get away with that every game.

But yeah. Overall it was an ugly performance outside of Jalen Johnson and DJ Steward. If they eventually reach the top 5, it will certainly be by default.

Oh, so this is what a rational fan looks like...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT