ADVERTISEMENT

Does your hometown have titles?

hawkit3113

Apr 14, 2011
If so, size of the town and class.

My hometown has a Catholic and public school.

Both won at the highest level.

One when it was a 1 class system. The other when it was 4A. Which was the highest in Iowa

One when it was a 1 class system. The other when it was 4A. Which was the highest in Iowa
Nope.

My home town no longer has a high school.

The best team they ever had was my junior year and I sat the bench. We lost in the regional final. Three of our starter played in college: Oklahoma State, Western Kentucky and Kentucky.

Reactions: hawkit3113

My hometown has 5 public highschools in the school district, 7 in the next district over, so many private schools, I cant even count.

Little Rock population is 198k in the city and total population of the area is 909k.

Last edited:
My hometown has 7 high-schools and a couple of private schools. Basketball wise one private school here won the state championship when a buddy of mine coached them. I used to scrimmage with some other guys against them during their run. It was fun. We have some other schools here who have gone to state of course but never won it.

Small hicktown of 3K people in eastern Kentucky.

Three 2A football titles back in the 90s and early 00s. Back in the good ole days, when the coaches could talk the teachers into letting football players lift for half the day, so that they could practice as soon as school let out.

We also claim a stud, Grammy winning artist, so I’ll count that too.

Couple state titles in football at the 4A level but we also have a state prison as well as a federal prison across the street from it.

The high school that I went to in my hometown has won baseball and softball state titles but I’m not sure if we’ve won titles in any other sports. The high school that I went to has competed at 1A and 2A. I live in a small city/town.

Last edited:

I need to stay caught up on my old high school. I went to LR Parkview. We have won multiple state championships in Basketball. Last summer, Parkview hired Scotty Thurman, who hit the final shot in 1994 to beat Duke for the National championship, as our head coach.

This happened on Tuesday.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/jan/15/thurman-pulls-team-off-court-20200115/

we won in football back in like 1975. We had a tennis player who won 4 straight state titles. Nothing in basketball.

I played hockey. We lost the 1988 state championship game. I'm not still bitter if that's what you're thinking...

My hometown of about 3k in western Kentucky won 2 class A state titles in football in the 70s

We’ve also won numerous state championships in weightlifting if that counts.

Also the hometown of Knight and Hale who are pioneers in the hunting industry, especially turkey hunting.

we won in football back in like 1975. We had a tennis player who won 4 straight state titles. Nothing in basketball.

I played hockey. We lost the 1988 state championship game. I'm not still bitter if that's what you're thinking...

Wait, we discussed this, right? What position?

Wait, we discussed this, right? What position?

yea we've talked about hockey before. I was a miscast defenseman in high school. You were a goalie, right?

Took 10-12 years off after high school to just play basketball since I never got to play bball growing up. Went back to hockey after back surgery #3 and doc told me I could never again run or jump. Been playing ever since, but don't go anywhere near my defensive zone anymore. Turns out I'm a forward, not a defenseman.

Played men's league for about 18 years on more teams than I can count, but I retired from league's 2 years ago and now just play old man pick up hockey 3x per week for exercise. Beats riding the elliptical!

My d partner in high school was Todd Reirdon, current head coach for the Washington Capitals. He wasn't even our best player, we were stacked.

Reactions: TheDude1
Doesn't every high school have a wall full of state title banners? I ran track/xc, so those are the ones that will stand out most to me. Our boys/girls cross country programs have won 14 state titles. Track teams have won 7. That's roughly 1/2 of the total number of state championship teams from my high school. We've had 3 or 4 All-Americans at the D-1 level in track/xc.

Reactions: denniden
yea we've talked about hockey before. I was a miscast defenseman in high school. You were a goalie, right?

Took 10-12 years off after high school to just play basketball since I never got to play bball growing up. Went back to hockey after back surgery #3 and doc told me I could never again run or jump. Been playing ever since, but don't go anywhere near my defensive zone anymore. Turns out I'm a forward, not a defenseman.

Played men's league for about 18 years on more teams than I can count, but I retired from league's 2 years ago and now just play old man pick up hockey 3x per week for exercise. Beats riding the elliptical!

My d partner in high school was Todd Reirdon, current head coach for the Washington Capitals. He wasn't even our best player, we were stacked.

Yep, I knew we chatted about it! I wish I still played... when I moved to NYC, it sort of killed my ability to play... where in the hell was I going to keep 60 pounds of sweaty, stinky hockey gear, you know? Then when I moved out I just couldn't seem to find time to play... the wife, the kids... it just takes up so much time:( I'd love to get back to it, but I'm afraid A) finding time would be hard and B) I would suck so badly and I'd get super frustrated when some scrub scored on me:(

Someday... someday.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
My hometown has one high school that’s one of the smallest in the state. (Oldest as well) We do have our share of state championships though.

If you’ve got them you do.

Just seems like every high school gym I've been in has a wall that is plastered with banner after banner. Maybe some schools embellish it by including conference or regional championships, but I just can't remember going in any gyms that had walls that were relatively bare.

Doesn't every high school have a wall full of state title banners? I ran track/xc, so those are the ones that will stand out most to me. Our boys/girls cross country programs have won 14 state titles. Track teams have won 7. That's roughly 1/2 of the total number of state championship teams from my high school. We've had 3 or 4 All-Americans at the D-1 level in track/xc.
My high school was less than 20 years old when I was there. I think in that time we had 1 football championship but none in the other sports.

Did your school recognize individuals? From 1994-2000 at my high school, between me and 2 other guys in swimming we had 6 individual state championships, a dozen or so All-American recognitions and 4 state records set. Our school didn't put up shit to acknowledge any of that. The 3 of us are still a little bitter about that.

Just seems like every high school gym I've been in has a wall that is plastered with banner after banner. Maybe some schools embellish it by including conference or regional championships, but I just can't remember going in any gyms that had walls that were relatively bare.
Depends on where you live, and yes.....some schools will hang ever district, regional and State participation banner they get. And some will only do it for making State or winning a title.

Just depends on how desperate you are to look relevant to your peers...........................

Reactions: dukedevilz

Not sure how many titles the public school has (if they did have more than one, it would've been way back in the first few decades of the 1900s).

The only one I know for basketball was a Class 4A title in 1988 for the public school.

Our Catholic school won the 2A title in 2000.

My high school was less than 20 years old when I was there. I think in that time we had 1 football championship but none in the other sports.

Did your school recognize individuals? From 1994-2000 at my high school, between me and 2 other guys in swimming we had 6 individual state championships, a dozen or so All-American recognitions and 4 state records set. Our school didn't put up shit to acknowledge any of that. The 3 of us are still a little bitter about that.

Just outside the gym, there are little plates (maybe 1" by 3") which recognize all of the team championships for conference, county, region, and state. And likewise, the individual champs - and relay teams. It's just way too many to keep track of. I'm sure they are missing quite a few individual champs. I don't think recognizing conference/county championships, individual or team, needs to be recognized. It's not that special. But yeah, if you had All-American status, that is way, way different. Infinitely more significant than winning a regional award.

Depends on where you live, and yes.....some schools will hang ever district, regional and State participation banner they get. And some will only do it for making State or winning a title.

Just depends on how desperate you are to look relevant to your peers...........................

Yeah, there's probably truth to that. We have over 40 state championship banners, so not really a need to hang anything else.

The thing is, there seem to be a million different leagues and regions and conferences and this and that in high school... I checked, after I saw this thread, to see if my high school won anything, and I'll be damned if I could figure it out.

"Graduates from high school"

Everything high school is beneath me now......

Don't worry, TheDude. I know 'that guy'.

Wait, I don’t get it... are you attacking me, or defending me?:)

Yes. New Albany HS has one single class title--1973. And one 4A(Indiana's largest class) title(2016). Also have a girls state title(1999). Where I graduated from, Borden, they have one title. 1A. Indiana's smallest class. All basketball. New Albany's girls won softball state title in 1988. Bordens girls won state in softball in 2016

The thing is, there seem to be a million different leagues and regions and conferences and this and that in high school... I checked, after I saw this thread, to see if my high school won anything, and I'll be damned if I could figure it out
Same here I checked to see how many baseball and softball state titles my high school has won and I couldn’t figure out how many we’ve won because some were listed under 1A, some were listed under 2A and some were listed under 1A/2A plus softball was also separated between the old regular pitch style and the new fast pitch style.

Very nice!

Funny enough, I was on the first state championship team in my high school (I went to a new school and was the first graduating class)—a track and field title.

Small hicktown of 3K people in eastern Kentucky.

Three 2A football titles back in the 90s and early 00s. Back in the good ole days, when the coaches could talk the teachers into letting football players lift for half the day, so that they could practice as soon as school let out.

We also claim a stud, Grammy winning artist, so I’ll count that too.
My mom was born in raised in Salyersville. I still have some family there. Were you close to there?

ADVERTISEMENT