• No

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
1. They are one of the best teams.
2. They will still go in hot.
3. They had a "timely" loss. And it being against their rival and how it happened will have them more hungry and burning.

Reactions: shun1 and heelpharm
giphy.gif

If you can force UNC into half-court offense, they’re as vulnerable as anyone. They’re only dangerous when you allow them to run. They tend to be either passive or trigger happy in the half-court.

If you can force UNC into half-court offense, they’re as vulnerable as anyone. They’re only dangerous when you allow them to run. They tend to be either passive or trigger happy in the half-court.
If you can stop Zion from dominating you can beat duke.

See how easy it is?

Y'all could win it all, but y'all are not the best team out there.

Carolina is a lot like some of Duke's previous teams in the sense that they look really good throughout the year because their shots are falling. But they fail in the tournament (sometimes early, like really early) because they have a bad shooting game.

In their 6 losses, their best 3 point shooting game. They went 11-29. Which is not atrocious. But they also have a 3-22, 9-30, 7-21 and 4-27 game. They have shot poorly and still won, so it is obviously not the only factor. But in a single elimination game, when you rely heavily on making threes and have no true center, it's tough.

They are certainly good enough to make a deep run and play for a championship, but they are also prone to losing to a hot shooting team if their shots aren't falling. I know some of the same things can be said about all of the contenders, so save the yeah buts.

Reactions: shun1
Carolina is a lot like some of Duke's previous teams in the sense that they look really good throughout the year because their shots are falling. But they fail in the tournament (sometimes early, like really early) because they have a bad shooting game.

In their 6 losses, their best 3 point shooting game. They went 11-29. Which is not atrocious. But they also have a 3-22, 9-30, 7-21 and 4-27 game. They have shot poorly and still won, so it is obviously not the only factor. But in a single elimination game, when you rely heavily on making threes and have no true center, it's tough.

They are certainly good enough to make a deep run and play for a championship, but they are also prone to losing to a hot shooting team if their shots aren't falling. I know some of the same things can be said about all of the contenders, so save the yeah buts.

Lack of a true low post scorer is definitely the one big weakness, but this team really isn’t that dependent on the 3. Off the top of my head recently there was a beat down in Cameron shooting 2-20, beat down of FSU shooting poorly from 3, beat down of Lou shooting 7-20. They are still statistically one of the very best rebounding teams in country, especially on the offensive glass.

Lack of a true low post scorer is definitely the one big weakness, but this team really isn’t that dependent on the 3. Off the top of my head recently there was a beat down in Cameron shooting 2-20, beat down of FSU shooting poorly from 3, beat down of Lou shooting 7-20. They are still statistically one of the very best rebounding teams in country, especially on the offensive glass.
Everything you said is true. But I addressed the fact that they have won while shooting poorly and that wasn't the only factor. Overall, you guys might not be dependent in the 3, but you have been in some games. And like I said, we are in single elimination mode, all it takes is one bad game. The other really big factor is rebounding, as you mentioned. If teams shoot well, unc shoots poorly and the rebounding differential is just close, not necessarily meaning the other team has to outrebound Carolina, but keep it close, then going 7-28 from 3 could send you home.

As a Duke fan, I have seen it play out.

There is some truth to this for sure. UNC rebounds well and shares the ball well so at times can do work in the paint because of that. However, against a team that can mitigate either of those we will definitely need to shoot well to win. I think the game against Duke was a good example of that. Inside you guys did a good job messing with our guys at the rim and you rebounded well. We shot terribly and lost, though I know it was close. Still, a close loss is still a loss. Chances are in six games that will happen at some point.

If you can stop Zion from dominating you can beat duke.

See how easy it is?

I thought the question was whether or not UNC could win it all? Let them run, they can. Slow them down, they’re beatable. Just like any team in the history of ever... Beatable if you stop what works.

We can talk about Zion and Duke though if you want ;)

I thought the question was whether or not UNC could win it all? Let them run, they can. Slow them down, they’re beatable. Just like any team in the history of ever... Beatable if you stop what works.

We can talk about Zion and Duke though if you want ;)

I think UNCs halfcourt offense is still quite good if they work the ball well. They aren't good if teams are able to really stifle the ball movement and force them into iso. Duke was able to do that some the other night. Duke is also ridiculously familiar with how UNC's offense runs. But yes, they are more vulnerable in the halfcourt than while running but they are still a very efficient halfcourt team offensively.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

YEAH BUT, if we’re 5-27 (Cam’s final 3) last game, we win. ;)

BUT we weren’t, and we didn’t. :(

Theyve been my pick to win it all. Gotta see how the brackets shake out. But for the past several weeks its what Ive been thinking.

Kentucky is capable of winning it if we see the light bulb turn back on for Ashton. Our guard play had been meh for a month at least. Weve seen Cal's guards flip a switch in March out of nowhere before. Having Reid back sure as hell makes us a lot better, clearly. But to rattle off 6 in a row, now....our issue is guard play.

Everything you said is true. But I addressed the fact that they have won while shooting poorly and that wasn't the only factor. Overall, you guys might not be dependent in the 3, but you have been in some games. And like I said, we are in single elimination mode, all it takes is one bad game. The other really big factor is rebounding, as you mentioned. If teams shoot well, unc shoots poorly and the rebounding differential is just close, not necessarily meaning the other team has to outrebound Carolina, but keep it close, then going 7-28 from 3 could send you home.

As a Duke fan, I have seen it play out.

You’re not wrong but the scenario you described would apply to pretty much any team in the country. If team A shoots really well, team B doesn’t shoot well, and team B also doesn’t rebound well then team B is probably going to lose.

Reactions: Sevro
You’re not wrong but the scenario you described would apply to pretty much any team in the country. If team A shoots really well, team B doesn’t shoot well, and team B also doesn’t rebound well then team B is probably going to lose.
Right. There is a scenario for every team to lose. Like I said, some of the same things can be said about all of the contenders.

I’ve never felt so good after a loss to Duke. Hell, I’ve never felt good after a loss to Duke, until now. Think this team is ready to roll. All the parts are there.
If a 4th matchup happens , they have one under their belt against Zion. Defensively they will be much more prepared I think if they get another crack at it. Only concern is UNC has shot terrible from 3 in 2 of those games.

If a 4th matchup happens , they have one under their belt against Zion. Defensively they will be much more prepared I think if they get another crack at it. Only concern is UNC has shot terrible from 3 in 2 of those games.
Yeah, would love another game with them. Not scared, at all.

Hopefully if it happens, I will have enough time to get a prescription for some blood pressure medicine.
The last one didn’t matter a lot to me, probably cause I just didn’t think we’d win. If we meet again I’ll be a fvcking mess, no doubt.

i'm sure that loss stung a bit for them, but i'm don't rebound is the right word here. unc are still playing better than anybody other than duke. only takeaway from that game that might be considered "negative" for unc is that duke pretty much beat them at their own style of game. granted duke likes to run as well, so maybe duke was just better at what they both like to do.

anyway, i think unc can win it all. would probably favor them against any team in america with exception of uva and duke. if seeds play out that won't even be a possible match up until the final four.

I think UNCs halfcourt offense is still quite good if they work the ball well. They aren't good if teams are able to really stifle the ball movement and force them into iso. Duke was able to do that some the other night. Duke is also ridiculously familiar with how UNC's offense runs. But yes, they are more vulnerable in the halfcourt than while running but they are still a very efficient halfcourt team offensively.

This is the first year UNC has joined the positionless trend. They look lethal in transition and given the 3PT shooting prowess they’re a dangerous team. The one glaring weakness this team has is lack of playmaking skills, very passive on offense and they tend to share the ball too well. When they face sticky defense (UVa, Michigan, healthy Duke) that lack of playmaking really shines through. Typically they find themselves in ISO situations, which I think you mentioned. That’s why it’s so imperative that they push the ball relentlessly, it keeps the skeleton in the closet. Credit ‘ol Roy for trending with the times because a traditional 1-5 lineup this year would have spelled problems.

One of the biggest keys to positionless is the ‘5’ being a good rebounder. Look no further, surprisingly Luke Maye is a monster and the rest of UNC’s length also supports rebounding. Which is why they lead the nation. GS is so successful with Draymond at the ‘5’ because not only can he stretch the floor, but he’s a power force defensively inside. If the need for a true 5 arises they have Boogie. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have the Celtics. When Baynes went out for a few weeks due to injury, the C’s looked awful... Because Horford struggles to defend bruising athletic big men. I say all of this because I think you can relate UNC to the Celtics in a sense. Maye is a great talent, Brooks looks good in the positionless game too but they simply lack a strong interior presence. UK dominated in the paint and Louisville’s Enoch highlighted this weakness as well. (Zion too, but outside of Duke I don’t think UNC needs to worry about seeing a unicorn)

All of that being said, every team has their weaknesses. I’m not just pointing fingers at UNC, they’re just the topic. Just because a team has good defense or a bruising 5 doesn’t automatically spell loss, but I think that makes them potentially vulnerable.

This is the first year UNC has joined the positionless trend. They look lethal in transition and given the 3PT shooting prowess they’re a dangerous team. The one glaring weakness this team has is lack of playmaking skills, very passive on offense and they tend to share the ball too well. When they face sticky defense (UVa, Michigan, healthy Duke) that lack of playmaking really shines through. Typically they find themselves in ISO situations, which I think you mentioned. That’s why it’s so imperative that they push the ball relentlessly, it keeps the skeleton in the closet. Credit ‘ol Roy for trending with the times because a traditional 1-5 lineup this year would have spelled problems.

One of the biggest keys to positionless is the ‘5’ being a good rebounder. Look no further, surprisingly Luke Maye is a monster and the rest of UNC’s length also supports rebounding. Which is why they lead the nation. GS is so successful with Draymond at the ‘5’ because not only can he stretch the floor, but he’s a power force defensively inside. If the need for a true 5 arises they have Boogie. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have the Celtics. When Baynes went out for a few weeks due to injury, the C’s looked awful... Because Horford struggles to defend bruising athletic big men. I say all of this because I think you can relate UNC to the Celtics in a sense. Maye is a great talent, Brooks looks good in the positionless game too but they simply lack a strong interior presence. UK dominated in the paint and Louisville’s Enoch highlighted this weakness as well.

All of that being said, every team has their weaknesses. I’m not just pointing fingers at UNC, they’re just the topic. Just because a team has good defense or a bruising 5 doesn’t automatically spell loss, but I think that makes them potentially vulnerable.
UNC struggles with teams who are sticky (hand checking/grabbers) but often times the handcnecking gets called in the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT