ADVERTISEMENT

Does the Tarheel fan base really believe they're playing with "House Money" Saturday night?

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
I've seen a lot of UNC fans over the past few days on social media and message boards claim that this season is already a major success and they're just playing with "house money" at this point and that there's little pressure on them.

Do you Heels fans here really believe that? You're 2 games from winning a 8th title to match UK and have gotten farther than lot more talented and accomplished UNC fans have. Also, you're playing your hated rival and this is a loss that Duke fans can hold over your heads for the rest of your lives.

You're living in La La land if you believe spoiling Coach K's last game in Cameron makes up for losing the only Duke-UNC appearance in the NCAAT, in the Final 4 no less, in the greatest coach's last game no less.

The stakes could never be higher for both teams. Claiming that there's "less pressure" on the Heels makes it seem like you guys have an inferiority complex when you're a more accomplished college basketball program historically.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC71-00
UNC clearly passes Kentucky as the best college basketball program of all time if they win this title imo.

Carolina has a lot on the line Saturday night.

• Haha
I've seen a lot of UNC fans over the past few days on social media and message boards claim that this season is already a major success and they're just playing with "house money" at this point and that there's little pressure on them.

Do you Heels fans here really believe that? You're 2 games from winning a 8th title to match UK and have gotten farther than lot more talented and accomplished UNC fans have. Also, you're playing your hated rival and this is a loss that Duke fans can hold over your heads for the rest of your lives.

You're living in La La land if you believe spoiling Coach K's last game in Cameron makes up for losing the only Duke-UNC appearance in the NCAAT, in the Final 4 no less, in the greatest coach's last game no less.

The stakes could never be higher for both teams. Claiming that there's "less pressure" on the Heels makes it seem like you guys have an inferiority complex when you're a more accomplished college basketball program historically.

The pressure is on duke and everyone knows it.

The pressure is on you and everyone knows it.
Why? If you lose, Dukies like me get to laugh at you for the rest of eternity about losing our only H2H meeting in the NCAAT. You miss out on a 8th title while your nemesis K likely gets his 6th ring in a walkoff title and you're still trailing Kentucky in total titles.

Don't pretend like you're not feeling the pressure bub.

Why? If you lose, Dukies like me get to laugh at you for the rest of eternity about losing our only H2H meeting in the NCAAT. You miss out on a 8th title while your nemesis K likely gets his 6th ring in a walkoff title and you're still trailing Kentucky in total titles.

UNC always has pressure but our coach isn't retiring.

UNC always has pressure but our coach isn't retiring.
Our coach has 5 national titles, 13 Final 4s and is widely considered the GOAT.

Losing this game to UNC doesn't change that. Its not like all of a sudden you can make an argument that Bobby Knight, Adolph Rupp or Dean Smith are better than K.

Your coach made it about him and his players have to deal with it.

It would still suck, but I agree. More pressure on Duke.

the idea that Hubert Davis and UNC would not only hand coach k an L in his last home game but then end his career is a lot extra. The other stuff you mentioned can be true on both sides (watching your rival potentially win it all and ending your season, etc).

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Our coach has 5 national titles, 13 Final 4s and is widely considered the GOAT.

Losing this game to UNC doesn't change that. Its not like all of a sudden you can make an argument that Bobby Knight, Adolph Rupp or Dean Smith are better than K.

What you just said doesn't mean shit. You know as well as I do you lose this game it'll be the second time UNC beat the goat and his last game to boot, come on now.

Reactions: treyforuk

8th?

I think UNC wins it. Both teams can score but Duke can't defend. Tech was getting one transition basket after another and they're not exactly known for that.

If Duke had a big advantage in ability, they wouldn't have gotten smoked at home on K's special wittle day.

And yes, there's way more pressure on Duke.

I definitely think there is more pressure on Duke. I can see where unc fans would be satisfied with a FF run this year, though. But not now. Playing Duke kind of ruins that IMO. I don't think any unc fan will take losing to Duke lightly. I certainly won't take it lightly if Duke loses. I threw this team under the bus after their loss to unc and wrote them off. Now I am eating crow and trying to pull them back out from under the bus. Seeing the way they have played in the tournament makes me think they have the heart I accused them of not having. Which makes accepting a loss harder than it would have been 2 weeks ago.

I do think that they are in a good spot.

Clearly they are not an 8 seed. The selection committee f*cked up royally with the seeding on this one. They gave ZERO credence to late season performance. Anybody with eyes could tell you that Carolina was a team on the rise, just finally living up to its potential.

The reality is that they are a 1 or two seed in all but name, but because they came in as an 8 seed due to early season struggles, they came in with few expectations. They had absolutely zero pressure placed on their shoulders and if they lose, people will give them kudos for getting so far. They face no negative consequences or backlash if they lose. DUKE has a lot more pressure in this game.

That of course doesn't mean Carolina can't have a bad game where they can't drop the ball in the ocean, but I would expect them to play loose, which usually means they're going to shoot it well or at worse they'll shoot it average, which would still keep them in the game. Of course maybe Duke comes out and plays like they have no pressure and shoots lights out. But you have to think their luck runs out at some point. It seems every time they've been in a situation in this tourney where they needed to hit a big shot, they've hit that big shot. Those do not always go in, but so far they have for Duke. If the same situation comes up Saturday, will they hit another big shot or two late in the game?

I do think that UNC will have more problems in the title game than Duke, regardless of who they play. Duke has more talent and KU/Villanova are two teams that are playing good pressure defense right now which I think will affect UNC more than Duke.

How tight do you think K is right now? And how do you think that impacts the team?

Now do the same with Hubert.

no doubt which team will feel more pressure. Thats not me saying that Duke will succumb to the pressure and lose, but there is no way that those players arent feeling the enormity of the moment.

as far as fans go, the only UNC fans feeling pressure are the ones who wanted to fire the coach just a few weeks ago.

finally, Duke fans know this is their last shot with K. Carolina fans believe that this is just the first of what will be many chances with Hubert.

in conclusion, everything OP said was bullocks

Reactions: AWilli6995
There is pressure on both teams but not nearly as much pressure on UNC. If UNC wins they not only beat Duke on K day but in the tournament to end his career.

If Duke wins they redeem the loss to a degree but not completely. They can't ever do that. However, they do get some revenge, which will be great for them.

Regardless, this season has been a success for Hubert's first run regardless of what happens Saturday. Can you say the same for Duke? Possibly. Final Fours are great but it is harder to make that argument if they lose.

Duke is the better team, the higher seed, the team expected to win, the team with their legendary coach retiring, and one of the tournament favorites. There is zero reasonable argument to be made that it isn't a much bigger disappointment for Duke if they lose.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Unless you won the year before, or you are there purely as a Cinderella story, nobody is playing with house money in the FF, and definitely neither team in this game Is playing with house money.

Im just trying to take the approach of that, while I love basketball, it has nothing to do with me... I have no impact, victory or failure, and it isn’t MY thing… it is the players thing, and coaches thing. Not sure I could have done this when I was younger and less exhausted by life, and not sure I could do it if I knew any/many UNC fans.

• Haha
Unless you won the year before, or you are there purely as a Cinderella story, nobody is playing with house money in the FF, and definitely neither team in this game Is playing with house money.

Im just trying to take the approach of that, while I love basketball, it has nothing to do with me... I have no impact, victory or failure, and it isn’t MY thing… it is the players thing, and coaches thing. Not sure I could have done this when I was younger and less exhausted by life, and not sure I could do it if I knew any/many UNC fans.
I agree with you that it’s not house money. I just think there’s more pressure on one side, though I’ll readily admit there has to be a lot on both.

Not too many UNC fans up in Jersey. Maybe one day you and I will grab a beer (not any time too recent to this game. A loss would suck for a little while).

Last edited:
I have several close friends who are Duke fans. A couple of them are a little strange but they are good people. We used to always watch the games together before we all had families.

I saw a UNC podcast talking about the game and they made the point that most fans don't really want this game but every single ex-UNC player they talked to would have wanted it when they played. Just shows you the different mindset between what we want when we can control something versus when we really can't.

Your coach made it about him and his players have to deal with it.
Ok? K’s legacy is etched into stone. While it would be nice to send him out with a title, a UNC win just adds to the greatness of the rivalry imo.

What you just said doesn't mean shit. You know as well as I do you lose this game it'll be the second time UNC beat the goat and his last game to boot, come on now.
I’m more concerned about UNC having the trump card in the rivalry than Coach K’s legacy imo.

UNC already has the trump card in the rivalry in a number of ways. But the biggest one was earned a couple o weeks ago. Duke winning Saturday night like they are heavily predicted to do won't really change that.

K's legacy is without a doubt etched into stone though. Nothing takes away from his success at Duke. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

UNC already has the trump card in the rivalry in a number of ways. But the biggest one was earned a couple o weeks ago. Duke winning Saturday night like they are heavily predicted to do won't really change that.

That's definitely a homer take.

The UNC win at the last home game is definitely the biggest thing that UNC has over Duke, but if Duke wins on Saturday, absolutely nobody other than UNC fans will care about that game anymore. If, on the other hand, UNC wins, then that is a HUGE advantage to have over K and Duke in K's last season. Won't change the legacy, but definitely hits Duke HARD on this season.

The UNC win at the last home game is definitely the biggest thing that UNC has over Duke, but if Duke wins on Saturday, absolutely nobody will care about that game anymore. If UNC wins, then that is a HUGE advantage to have over K and Duke in K's last season.
That's one way to spin it.

Another way is K's last game at Cameron was an L to his biggest rival.

Reactions: 829305
That's one way to spin it.

Another way is K's last game at Cameron was an L to his biggest rival.

I get that certain folks (for example, certain UK and UNC fans) really want it to be some big, earth-shattering, forever thing.

But if Duke beats UNC in the Final Four, I doubt many Duke fans will care so much anymore, and I doubt the college basketball world at large will be so focused on that last regular season game. I certainly wouldn't care (although, to be fair, I didn't take that loss too hard to begin with.)

I get that certain folks (for example, certain UK and UNC fans) really want it to be some big, earth-shattering, forever thing.

But if Duke beats UNC in the Final Four, I doubt many Duke fans will care so much anymore, and I doubt the college basketball world at large will be so focused on that last regular season game. I certainly wouldn't care (although, to be fair, I didn't take that loss too hard to begin with.)
You don't care about his last home game?

You don't care about his last home game?

Listen, a win would have been awesome. It would have made the ceremony afterwards way more "fun".

But age and perspective... they are important.

I've been watching Duke ball for... jeez, I don't know, 35, 40 years? I've had SO many great memories with Duke basketball, often tied into friendships... great memories of sleeping in Cameron before games with my friends, great memories of sitting of sitting in a buddy's apartment cheering and laughing and even sometimes cussing, great memories of going down to the local bar with friends and drinking and cheering and cursing at UConn players. And seeing all of those faces in the crowd... that was SURREAL for me. It was, as a buddy said, like a reunion of all of my memories of watching Duke basketball.

And when you partner that with real life perspective... well, things maybe matter the way they SHOULD. I watched that game with my son, and he got SO upset at the ending, and it really got me to realize, you know? I gave him a hug and just reminded him... it's one game. It's one moment. One moment, largely dictated by the random bouncing of a ball and by actions of other people... it would have been great fun, but don't let it ruin what you should be thinking about. And with the wife being diagnosed with leukemia just before that game... well, yeah, it would have been great to win, but I think I've gotten to the age and to that part of life where it is more important to me, and *easier* for me, to appreciate the good stuff, and maybe have perspective about the bad.

REALLY hoping we win Saturday. Will be super sad if we don't. But either way, life goes on:)

Listen, a win would have been awesome. It would have made the ceremony afterwards way more "fun".

But age and perspective... they are important.

I've been watching Duke ball for... jeez, I don't know, 35, 40 years? I've had SO many great memories with Duke basketball, often tied into friendships... great memories of sleeping in Cameron before games with my friends, great memories of sitting of sitting in a buddy's apartment cheering and laughing and even sometimes cussing, great memories of going down to the local bar with friends and drinking and cheering and cursing at UConn players. And seeing all of those faces in the crowd... that was SURREAL for me. It was, as a buddy said, like a reunion of all of my memories of watching Duke basketball.

And when you partner that with real life perspective... well, things maybe matter the way they SHOULD. I watched that game with my son, and he got SO upset at the ending, and it really got me to realize, you know? I gave him a hug and just reminded him... it's one game. It's one moment. One moment, largely dictated by the random bouncing of a ball and by actions of other people... it would have been great fun, but don't let it ruin what you should be thinking about. And with the wife being diagnosed with leukemia just before that game... well, yeah, it would have been great to win, but I think I've gotten to the age and to that part of life where it is more important to me, and *easier* for me, to appreciate the good stuff, and maybe have perspective about the bad.

REALLY hoping we win Saturday. Will be super sad if we don't. But either way, life goes on:)
Sorry to hear about your wife. Jokes aside, that stinks.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Jokes aside, that stinks.

Thanks Lurk. Yeah, it was a real terrifying shock to the system... there was a breast cancer scare that turned out okay, and then literally a week later we started getting funky white blood cell counts, and it took several weeks of anxious dr appointments to finally get the news, so there were maybe five or six pretty bad weeks. But thankfully the diagnosis wasn't a terrible one (chronic leukemia) and she is on a great new medication that basically tells her body to knock it off. The dr has said it should have no real impact on life, that she will take two pills a day for life and hopefully that should be it. She also had a nasty cancer back in her twenties that she got through, but when you have kids it hits different. So fingers crossed everything will be okay.

Thanks Lurk. Yeah, it was a real terrifying shock to the system... there was a breast cancer scare that turned out okay, and then literally a week later we started getting funky white blood cell counts, and it took several weeks of anxious dr appointments to finally get the news, so there were maybe five or six pretty bad weeks. But thankfully the diagnosis wasn't a terrible one (chronic leukemia) and she is on a great new medication that basically tells her body to knock it off. The dr has said it should have no real impact on life, that she will take two pills a day for life and hopefully that should be it. She also had a nasty cancer back in her twenties that she got through, but when you have kids it hits different. So fingers crossed everything will be okay.

Glad the prognosis was as okay given the circumstances.

My wife had a health scare recently and I will say it does make what happens on the court between a bunch of 18-22 year olds seem far less important in the grand scheme of things.

Hope her follow ups continue to show good things.

K's legacy is without a doubt etched into stone though. Nothing takes away from his success at Duke. I don't think anyone would dispute that.
Cory, you think that regular season win will be more than a footnote that’s a testament to how great the rivalry is if Duke goes on to win the national title? It’s tough to see anyone besides UNC fans caring at that point but I could be wrong.

The UNC win at the last home game is definitely the biggest thing that UNC has over Duke, but if Duke wins on Saturday, absolutely nobody other than UNC fans will care about that game anymore. If, on the other hand, UNC wins, then that is a HUGE advantage to have over K and Duke in K's last season. Won't change the legacy, but definitely hits Duke HARD on this season.

What’s the head to head record? I’ll wait….

Reactions: UNC71-00 and 829305
Im having a hard time understanding what point the Dukies are trying to make.

from all I have gathered, none of them seem to care about this game

Reactions: AWilli6995
What’s the head to head record? I’ll wait….

Sorry, I wasn't thinking that far back... was thinking more "in my lifetime" sort of stuff. Over my lifetime of watching, which is like 35-40 years, I haven't seen one or the other program really dominate the other. Duke has had years where they seem to be on top, UNC has had years where they seem to be on top, but for the last half century or so, I don't think either program has a noticeable advantage in the rivalry... for every positive Duke can point to, UNC has an answer, and the same the other way.

To be clear, I think the numbers, in terms of programs, belong to UNC (although how they GOT to those numbers... that's a different story;) )... UNC is, at worst, the third best college program in history*

• Haha
The Dude has stuck to his absurd take about the last game at home not being that big a deal for a bit. He is legit probably the only person who feels this way.

Its weird that someone with the worst homer takes tries to accuse others of homer takes.

ADVERTISEMENT