ADVERTISEMENT

Does the NCAA have a problem with their balls?

boilerzz

Jul 5, 2002
Team
Purdue
Loaded question (pun intended) that we could take in all sorts of directions but I'm talking about the stupid Wilson Evo ball that the NCAA is using for the NCAA tournament:

Obviously everyone has to play with the same ball so everyone is affected but I would assume teams more reliant on the three would be more heavily impacted. Purdue has been Jekyl and Hyde from three all year but it's pretty alarming to see the difference between Purdue's home ball and the EVO's in away/neutral games:

screenshot-2023-03-22-at-7-00-39-pm-png.321190

I found this from VSIN:

Unless you’ve been living under the world’s largest rock, you are fully aware of how well Unders have done in the 2023 NCAA Tournament. Through 52 games, the Under is 35-17 (67.3%), which is definitely a record-setting pace. This year’s March Madness might as well be sponsored by Habitat for Humanity with all the bricklaying going on.

Why have the games been so low-scoring? Look no further than 3-point percentage. Through the Round of 32, teams are collectively shooting just 31.2% from beyond the arc.

It's crazy to me that the NCAA doesn't require a standard ball for all games. I guess money rules.

I mean MSU came into the tournament with our shooting ability being the only reason to believe and we’ve won despite being god awful from 3.

It is asinine that there isn’t one standard ball every single team uses and then is continued into the tournament.

I had no idea they didn't use the same ball. On brand for the NCAA at least
yep. It's up to the home team to choose which brand of ball.
They f'd it up even worse with the NCAAT ball.

It's a lot different than playing on different types of fields in football IMO.
*I've read teams will practice with the balls the next team will be playing with ahead of games.

I think they mentioned that UK practiced a week or so before hand with the new ball. Didn't seem to help too much.

I post this and then all 4 teams that have played today shot the hell out of the ball. Hmmm....

Loaded question (pun intended) that we could take in all sorts of directions but I'm talking about the stupid Wilson Evo ball that the NCAA is using for the NCAA tournament:

Obviously everyone has to play with the same ball so everyone is affected but I would assume teams more reliant on the three would be more heavily impacted. Purdue has been Jekyl and Hyde from three all year but it's pretty alarming to see the difference between Purdue's home ball and the EVO's in away/neutral games:

screenshot-2023-03-22-at-7-00-39-pm-png.321190
Lol so it's not just Iowa fans that have noticed this.........

ADVERTISEMENT