ADVERTISEMENT

Does every National title for your team count the same ?

paperboy36

Jul 21, 2020
As a fan of college basketball. I rooted for the 96 and 97 UK team to go undefeated stopped caring after that . Pitino was on fire.

the 98 squad was like the 2010 Duke team . A bunch of role players .

The 99 and 2004 DUKE teams were more likable than the 2010 squad by a mile .

Great question. Like ranking your kids! For me, the answer is no.. not at all.

1985 was stunning. Finally beating Ewing and Georgetown in the 3rd meeting (the other 2 games were very close and why nova was not intimidated) was huge. Of course, it was presented as the ultimate cinderella story

2016 was ridiculous. Not only the game and shot, but getting over the early exits the previous few hears was a huge relief. Once they beat Iowa in the second round, it was house money. Team was seriously discounted for not having nba talent... ironically 5 of the guys have played in the NBA (Arch, Brunson, Bridges, Ocefu and Hart, while the star of the game Booth plays in G league and Jenkins never played in the NBA and works on the Nova staff)

2018, honestly--- was expected and would have been a disappointment if they had not won. But, man were they fun to watch. 5 NBA players.

So to me, 2016, 2018 and then 1985.

As a fan of college basketball. I rooted for the 96 and 97 UK team to go undefeated stopped caring after that . Pitino was on fire.

the 98 squad was like the 2010 Duke team . A bunch of role players .

The 99 and 2004 DUKE teams were more likable than the 2010 squad by a mile .
Yes, it does. Even if it was awarded via pre-playoff era college football method.......

SmokinSmile

they all mean the same

I have a hard time with that , an Ohio State fan would've killed for Greg Oden and Mike Conly team to have a ring . It would mean more than the current ham and egger squad winning .

The 97' Kansas team should have a ring more than Danny.

The Shabazz Napier last Unconn champs didn't deserve a ring more than Ray Allen

Last edited:
I have a hard time with that , an Ohio State fan would've killed for Greg Oden and Mike Conly team to have a ring . It would mean more than the current ham and egger squad winning .

The 97' Kansas team should have a ring more than Danny

those are not national title teams

you asked

now if you want to know if not winning the title with each team is the same, i would
answer a big no

You can't tell me Huggins winning a ring now would be the same as the 2000 Cincy Bearcats winning

those are not national title teams

you asked

now if you want to know if not winning the title with each team is the same, i would
answer a big no

You are right . I don't know how to edit the title , I am new here

Reactions: mebeblue2
Just my opinion, but I feel like the titles you witness live means more to the fans.

I agree with the above. I was too young to really remember Louisville’s first 2, so I cherish the vacated one more than the “real” ones.

But I mean don’t get me wrong it’s still nice to know ur team has multiple championships.

I agree with the above. I was too young to really remember Louisville’s first 2, so I cherish the vacated one more than the “real” ones.

But I mean don’t get me wrong it’s still nice to know ur team has multiple championships.
We still watched the title game in ‘13. All that matters.

Oh I know, hell the ncaa didn’t even wipe us from their all mighty record book, they just gave us a fancy little star that no one else has SmokinSmile

Reactions: UL_1986
There’s no way this is disputable, right?
I will somewhat dispute it. Even though I took my 8 year old son to San Antonio In 2018 (last minute, spur of the moment trip) and it was a great life memory, 2016 still holds the candle for me in terms of shock and emotion of winning the Natty. Watched that one on TV.

Reactions: WojoRising
I will somewhat dispute it. Even though I took my 8 year old son to San Antonio In 2018 (last minute, spur of the moment trip) and it was a great life memory, 2016 still holds the candle for me in terms of shock and emotion of winning the Natty. Watched that one on TV.
Oh, yeah. I may have misunderstood the original post - I thought he meant simply being alive for it or comprehending it. I’m definitely with you that the TV/in-person variance doesn’t matter

I don't look at any of Illinois' championships differently.

I actually prefer to watch games on TV than attend them live. With HD and multiple camera angles and the ability to pause and rewind, you literally don’t miss anything.

But I also have anxiety about being around large crowds of people for whatever reason.

I'd say when your team wins the title, as a fav, or one of the fav's, it doesn't have the same impact emotionally as it would if your team comes out of nowhere to win...

Example: Villanova winning the title as an 8-seed in 1985. Opposed to winning the title in 2018 as huge favorite..Of course both titles have the same meaning, in literal terms.But in terms of emotions, I doubt it...It didn't for in 1981, opposed to 1987. In '81 IU lost 9 games...But then went nuts in the tourney, beat everyone's asses,and rolled to the title...Very surprised. But in 87, IU was a 1-seed,and one of the fav's to win it all. Hell had IU won the title in 2002, that would have been a more(emotionally) satisfying title...

Nope.

My favorite was probably 2017. That team had some nuts on their chin in ‘16. Just brutal. So, to come back and win it after that, along w the scandal hate, it felt pretty damn good. It also gave Roy his 3rd title to K’s 2 since he’s been at the Hill. Number 3 also put Roy in special company.

1993 was awesome cause it was the first I saw em win. I was 16. I don’t remember ‘82. Wasn’t a fan until probably ‘86-87. But, Dean finally got another.

I lived in NC in 2005 and got to meet the entire team in the fall of 2004, so that was pretty special. And as we know, they beat Illinois, where I’m from, so happy to not be living at home for that. But, that team was win or bust. They were too good not to cut down the nets. More a relief than a celebration.

2009 I was in Vegas on a guy trip. Bit of a blur. But that team curb-stomped all comers. Good times. Little drama or excitement tho.

2006 felt magical and it was “I can’t believe this is still going” every game.

2007 was stressful and it was “I can’t believe we might lose” every time we played a close game.

Last edited:
Nope.

My favorite was probably 2017. That team had some nuts on their chin in ‘16. Just brutal. So, to come back and win it after that, along w the scandal hate, it felt pretty damn good. It also gave Roy his 3rd title to K’s 2 since he’s been at the Hill. Number 3 also put Roy in special company.

1993 was awesome cause it was the first I saw em win. I was 16. I don’t remember ‘82. Wasn’t a fan until probably ‘86-87. But, Dean finally got another.

I lived in NC in 2005 and got to meet the entire team in the fall of 2004, so that was pretty special. And as we know, they beat Illinois, where I’m from, so happy to not be living at home for that. But, that team was win or bust. They were too good not to cut down the nets. More a relief than a celebration.

2009 I was in Vegas on a guy trip. Bit of a blur. But that team curb-stomped all comers. Good times. Little drama or excitement tho.

Although we made the FF in 2005 and were the number 1 overall seed in 2009, I knew deep down it was gonna take a miracle for anyone to beat UNC. Both teams were super stacked.

Reactions: 829305
Nothing worse than expecting a championship. Such a relief (as opposed to excitement) when that final buzzer sounds.

Yeah, had to be relief for UNC, Florida & kentucky fans in 07,09 & 12.

Terps didn't win it all in 01, but made the final four. trust me, was a relief when they beat Uconn in 2002 elite eight and returned, considering what MD returned.

Unsure if all our titles even count.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT