ADVERTISEMENT

Does any talented teams fans look forward to getting beat early?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
With the stacking of talent it's not normal but close. I've grown to accept it.

I don't get to watch players develop for 4 years so I've adapted to learn to enjoy seasonal progress.

We lose a lot early.

I know Cal just rolls the ball out but so many OAD's were not the same after just one year.

How was Luka after one year?

UK players are working on max contracts after 4 years.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I think it depends on "how" a team gets beat. If a team like say, San Fran drops a bunch of 3s on UVA, UVA fans probably don't like it but I don't think it drastically changes expectations. 3 pt line is a thing.

OTOH, last year UofL just got smacked around by TX Tech - yes Tech is solid, but UofL was Preseason top 5 I think, and that beatdown was more alarming for UofL fan than losing to a much lesser team because it was a straight up beatdown against a legit team on National TV.

The massive upsets probably have a lot to do with the 3 pt line, new players just running around etc. If you just keep getting upset like G Tech, it's probably not an upset, you just suck.

Nobody likes to lose but ya gotta know it's gonna happen.

With the stacking of talent it's not normal but close. I've grown to accept it.

I don't get to watch players develop for 4 years so I've adapted to learn to enjoy seasonal progress.

We lose a lot early.

I know Cal just rolls the ball out but so many OAD's were not the same after just one year.

How was Luka after one year?

UK players are working on max contracts after 4 years.
I’m a bit like you. I wouldn’t necessarily say I “look forward to it”, but I’ve learned that rankings mean d!ck. The best/highest ranked team doesn’t always get the one trophy that’s handed out after the tourney (see KY; ‘15). If UK is ranked decently high (top 5) when we lose early, I’m fine with turning in that ranking, even if we’re ranked #1, I’m fine with letting some other team bear that burden. I’d rather concentrate on them getting better than having to constantly uphold lofty expectations.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’m a bit like you. I wouldn’t necessarily say I “look forward to it”, but I’ve learned that rankings mean d!ck. The best/highest ranked team doesn’t always get the one trophy that’s handed out after the tourney (see KY; ‘15). If UK is ranked decently high (top 5) when we lose early, I’m fine with turning in that ranking, even if we’re ranked #1, I’m fine with letting some other team bear that burden. I’d rather concentrate on them getting better than having to constantly uphold lofty expectations.
The standards we have, haters use it against us. "well, 38-1 is a failure", they stole that line from some of our fanbase.

We don't apologize for waiting...demanding greatness. We are spoiled. Our fathers,fathers fathers and fathers fathers fathers,explained it concisely.

When someone comes around and his dad didn't even watch basketball or sports and says...blahahshsaoarhwhapadoda. Of course we dismiss it

The standards we have, haters use it against us. "well, 38-1 is a failure", they stole that line from some of our fanbase.

We don't apologize for waiting...demanding greatness. We are spoiled. Our fathers,fathers fathers and fathers fathers fathers,explained it concisely.

When someone comes around and his dad didn't even watch basketball or sports and says...blahahshsaoarhwhapadoda. Of course we dismiss it

38-1 was not the failure, it’s that they didn’t win it all. With that roster it was championship or bust. Just like Zion and Co

It wouldn’t have mattered if that 15 team had dropped a game during the season or secT, it’s that they didn’t win it all with as uk fans put it “two top 10 teams on one roster”

Fair or not that’s how it is with teams that good. No one calls the 2012 team a failure bc they lost 2 games.

38-1 was not the failure, it’s that they didn’t win it all. With that roster it was championship or bust. Just like Zion and Co

It wouldn’t have mattered if that 15 team had dropped a game during the season or secT, it’s that they didn’t win it all with as uk fans put it “two top 10 teams on one roster”

Fair or not that’s how it is with teams that good. No one calls the 2012 team a failure bc they lost 2 games.
Some fanbases get mocked for saying that.
#bluebloodproblems
Others expect to lose and maybe luck their way to win the last one.

Different mindsets.

A)We have a chance to win
B)We expect to win

B) has to eat shit when they don't by group A)
A) can't understand why group B) shits on them and metaphorically says; "You don't understand".

Last edited:
I think anyone would have expected to win with that 2015 roster.

Kind of weird to be boasting about such a thing in a thread about expecting losses, though.
Not getting your angle. I tried, just failed on my part.

Anyway, Remember when ppl said before that season."No way those loser could have a chance of going undefeated. Cal's their coach, He'll choke, etc.

They were right, but he still set records with that team.

Fun season.3rd all time best UK team for me to watch.

'96 team was so much fun. '03 team was fun, '10 team was super fun, '12 super fun, etc. Hard to rank them. I could go back farther, but don't want to lose ppl born in '90

Last edited:
Not this year

Simply because this team has been though a lot already
So adversity isn't an issue. After one game I am seeing it come though.

The biggest issue for Texas might be getting elite production from Jericho Sims if Shaka doesn't start him
One of the players who disappears when passed up
IMO he is six of the Top 6 players.

ADVERTISEMENT