ADVERTISEMENT

Do you work harder than the average person?

How hard do you work?

• Way less than the average person.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Less than the average person.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • About the same as the average person.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • More than the average person.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Way more than the average person.

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
I make almost 6 figures training & breeding dogs. It gets frustrating sometimes but I love it.

Last edited:
When I was in the Navy I did. Working on a aircraft carrier flight deck for 12-15 hours while deployed made me appreciate a lot of things. Working for USPS for the past 18 years has been a cakewalk, except for Christmas season.

Reactions: treyforuk
My job now is not bad. I work second shift and there have been a few nights where I’ve done zero patients in a 10 hour shift.

I’m probably taking a promotion to a leadership position though where I’ll have to do more work and take a pay cut.

My job now is not bad. I work second shift and there have been a few nights where I’ve done zero patients in a 10 hour shift.

I’m probably taking a promotion to a leadership position though where I’ll have to do more work and take a pay cut.

You're RT right?

@SloppyHopkins

The end game is to be a manager at some point so I don’t have to rule out DVTs on every ER patient with a bit of swelling :p.
Wish I didn't have to order that shit on every patient, but you know... lawyers. Lawyers have literally ruined medicine. 90% of money spent in medicine is because of lawyers and the fear of getting sued.

Btw - entertaining a fellowship in ultrasound. Probably won't do it, as it doesn't create more $ for me. I did about 150 scans myself last month.

Reactions: toonces11
Wish I didn't have to order that shit on every patient, but you know... lawyers. Lawyers have literally ruined medicine. 90% of money spent in medicine is because of lawyers and the fear of getting sued.

Btw - entertaining a fellowship in ultrasound. Probably won't do it, as it doesn't create more $ for me. I did about 150 scans myself last month.

I was explaining that to @MrBaracus. So much money is wasted on imaging things that are highly unlikely but possible because of possible malpractice. Patient with chronic heart failure and cellulitis with swelling? 99% sure we know where that swelling is coming from but have to order a $1000 venous duplex to CYA.

And you doing point-of-care in the ER is the Lord’s work. You save the patient so much money and save us so much time if you are able to check for stones or a heatbeat yourself.

Would the fellowship just be to be better at scanning or would you use it for something else? I’ve heard of ultrasound techs going back to PA school but not the inverse.

I was explaining that to @MrBaracus. So much money is wasted on imaging things that are highly unlikely but possible because of possible malpractice. Patient with chronic heart failure and cellulitis with swelling? 99% sure we know where that swelling is coming from but have to order a $1000 venous duplex to CYA.

And you doing point-of-care in the ER is the Lord’s work. You save the patient so much money and save us so much time if you are able to check for stones or a heatbeat yourself.

Would the fellowship just be to be better at scanning or would you use it for something else? I’ve heard of ultrasound techs going back to PA school but not the inverse.
Fellowship would be two things:

1) to get better
2) to get certified

Being certified means my scans hold weight in court (my reads would be that of a radiologist in court). Again, lawyers. But yes, I would save the patients loads of money.

Reading heartbeats in code situations is defensible in court for me. I could not be more comfortable with all 4 heart views, abscesses, gallbladder, FAST, and aorta. I know what I am reading is correct. Kidneys and other small things, meh.

I like to think I work smarter, not harder. By my standards, I'm lazy, which drives my desire to find quicker ways to get things done, especially at work.

Fellowship would be two things:

1) to get better
2) to get certified

Being certified means my scans hold weight in court (my reads would be that of a radiologist in court). Again, lawyers. But yes, I would save the patients loads of money.

Reading heartbeats in code situations is defensible in court for me. I could not be more comfortable with all 4 heart views, abscesses, gallbladder, FAST, and aorta. I know what I am reading is correct. Kidneys and other small things, meh.

Oh I don’t scan any echo. I was referring to fetal viability scans. Out of curiosity what does a fellowship entail? Do you have to work with a radiologist directly for a certain period of time?

Oh I don’t scan any echo. I was referring to fetal viability scans. Out of curiosity what does a fellowship entail? Do you have to work with a radiologist directly for a certain period of time?
Oh fetal echos I'm out. You do not want me for that job. That's super specialized to read that. I could get you the views, but I'm not interpreting that.

Fellowship entails a shitload of scans pertaining to Emergency Medicine. Radiologist would have to review my reads and we would discuss discrepancies.

Child's appendix being the most difficult, IMO.

Give me the breed & what exactly I wrong & I’ll give you some tips.

German sherpherd vizlsa mix. We got her from the shelter at age 2 and we are pretty sure she was abused before hand. She is very well trained with us and incredibly sweet. She lets us do anything.

If we have a guest and crate her, she barks a lot wanting to investigate. She loves her crate but if we have someone over she doesn’t trust she will let us know about it.

If we have a guest and let her roam, she will do her smelling routine very anxiously and I tell my guests to not move or try to pet her. Just ignore her and she’s fine.

Before I started being more careful about not letting people pet her, she would even cuddle with someone else letting them pet her but the second they move their hand away she would nip at them. That’s when I started realizing that it’s quick hand movements that send her into “oh shit gotta nip” mode.

It’s a catch 22 because I feel like the more she is around other people the more she will realize it’s okay but I don’t want her around other people if she’s going to potentially bite someone.

Oh fetal echos I'm out. You do not want me for that job. That's super specialized to read that. I could get you the views, but I'm not interpreting that.

Fellowship entails a shitload of scans pertaining to Emergency Medicine. Radiologist would have to review my reads and we would discuss discrepancies.

Child's appendix being the most difficult, IMO.

I don’t do fetal echo, either. I’m talking about simply showing that the baby has a heartbeat. I do that quite a bit through the ER.

Appendix..... oh boy. I’ve been scanning 6 years and have done maybe 15 appendix exams and have only confidently seen one appendix. Thank God for CT.

Appendix and Inguinal Hernia are the hardest things for me to show with confidence.

German sherpherd vizlsa mix. We got her from the shelter at age 2 and we are pretty sure she was abused before hand. She is very well trained with us and incredibly sweet. She lets us do anything.

If we have a guest and crate her, she barks a lot wanting to investigate. She loves her crate but if we have someone over she doesn’t trust she will let us know about it.

If we have a guest and let her roam, she will do her smelling routine very anxiously and I tell my guests to not move or try to pet her. Just ignore her and she’s fine.

Before I started being more careful about not letting people pet her, she would even cuddle with someone else letting them pet her but the second they move their hand away she would nip at them. That’s when I started realizing that it’s quick hand movements that send her into “oh shit gotta nip” mode.

It’s a catch 22 because I feel like the more she is around other people the more she will realize it’s okay but I don’t want her around other people if she’s going to potentially bite someone.
Usually a dog isn’t aggressive because they’ve been abused. It more of a non socialization problem from when they were a pup. You can try keeping her on a leash indoors when you have company. Keeping her by you or a family member & letting her slowly get used to the company. After 20-30 min take her to them , let her sniff around & after she’s used to them have them give her a treat or her favorite toy. Obviously you don’t want a guest to have to feed her treats all night but it lets them know that not every guest is scary.
I only breed & train Rottweiler’s & socializing a puppy is just as important as house breaking a puppy.

Usually a dog isn’t aggressive because they’ve been abused. It more of a non socialization problem from when they were a pup. You can try keeping her on a leash indoors when you have company. Keeping her by you or a family member & letting her slowly get used to the company. After 20-30 min take her to them , let her sniff around & after she’s used to them have them give her a treat or her favorite toy. Obviously you don’t want a guest to have to feed her treats all night but it lets them know that not every guest is scary.
I only breed & train Rottweiler’s & socializing a puppy is just as important as house breaking a puppy.

That makes sense. I wish we had her as a puppy.

That makes sense. I wish we had her as a puppy.
I don’t usually take in rescue dogs. My brother is a K-9 cop in Illinois. He called me about 6 moths ago with a Rottweiler he found in an abounded apartment.
He wasnt sure if it had the mange or was flea ridden. She had huge spots of fur missing. My daughter & I drove thru the night to get her. Turns out she has severe food allergies.
She was the same as your dog. She had no socialization at all, even with other dogs. After a month or so, she was great with my family but would freak out with strangers, people walking in front of the house etc...
I did the leash method, it takes time but it will work. Don’t force people on her but don’t let her run & hide either. Keep her in the same room on a leash, let her get used to the person & then introduce them....SLOW & CALM. Have them give a small treat as a “gift” & then take her back with you. Try this a few different times & after the next treat, try to let them rub her. Dogs can sense fear so don’t pick someone already intimidated by her.
That Rottweiler is now with my daughters best friends family. While she’s not over friendly, she isn’t aggressive at all. She knows that’s her house & people need to respect her area. After a few minutes, she realizes that their ok & approved & she relaxes around them.
It’s in their nature to protect.

I don’t usually take in rescue dogs. My brother is a K-9 cop in Illinois. He called me about 6 moths ago with a Rottweiler he found in an abounded apartment.
He wasnt sure if it had the mange or was flea ridden. She had huge spots of fur missing. My daughter & I drove thru the night to get her. Turns out she has severe food allergies.
She was the same as your dog. She had no socialization at all, even with other dogs. After a month or so, she was great with my family but would freak out with strangers, people walking in front of the house etc...
I did the leash method, it takes time but it will work. Don’t force people on her but don’t let her run & hide either. Keep her in the same room on a leash, let her get used to the person & then introduce them....SLOW & CALM. Have them give a small treat as a “gift” & then take her back with you. Try this a few different times & after the next treat, try to let them rub her. Dogs can sense fear so don’t pick someone already intimidated by her.
That Rottweiler is now with my daughters best friends family. While she’s not over friendly, she isn’t aggressive at all. She knows that’s her house & people need to respect her area. After a few minutes, she realizes that their ok & approved & she relaxes around them.
It’s in their nature to protect.

I will definitely try this. I like the idea of her getting the treat but then having her come back with me. Seems like that would let her get a gift and then not give her enough time to remember that "hey, wait, im suppose to be scared".

Reactions: uncfan in ky
@uncfan in ky have you ever been bit while training someone else's dog? I've always wondered that. When I kennel her, the kennel lets me unleash her myself so I can avoid her biting someone when they reach for her collar. It works out nicely but I wonder if they get bit by other dogs because I can't imagine mine is the only aggressive dog they kennel.

@uncfan in ky have you ever been bit while training someone else's dog? I've always wondered that. When I kennel her, the kennel lets me unleash her myself so I can avoid her biting someone when they reach for her collar. It works out nicely but I wonder if they get bit by other dogs because I can't imagine mine is the only aggressive dog they kennel.
I try to only work with dogs 6 months & younger. Most of the training I do is hands on, a dog has to know who his master is. Usually I’ll take the for about 4 weeks by myself & then it’s another 4 weeks with the owner.

I try to only work with dogs 6 months & younger. Most of the training I do is hands on, a dog has to know who his master is. Usually I’ll take the for about 4 weeks by myself & then it’s another 4 weeks with the owner.

Do you think a submersive training like that would be helpful to my dog if I find one around Milwaukee or would I be wasting money?

Left it a bit open ended on purpose. Not sure I just mean job work... also sort of just how hard of a worker are you maybe?
Used to be a very hard worker. Decided at a young age I wanted to continually work smarter, not harder. I currently work on average 10-12 hours a week. But the times I do work, it’s very intense and high stress.

I'm quite busy. With my regular job, the officiating. I doubt I work any harder than the average person. There are some hard, ass jobs out there; though my day job of making marble countertops, panels and showers can be rough.

Id like to think Im up there in the top percentile, b/c if I'm not....not sure how much more i could take on. For as many other workers i might be able to trump, there will always be another tier that make me look like a slouch. I will say I've never had any form of success without outworking the next guy.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT