ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think they could decide to do away with Conference Tourneys this year?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
The idea would be to save the NCAA tourney.

???? Would suck for mid majors, but I’m not totally against it. Don’t see how they could prove it would hurt the odds of the ncaaT being played.

Seems the conferences could bubble up just like the NCAA but idk.

I really enjoy the P5 conf tournaments. A couple of our runs in the old Big East Tourney were just as fun as the NCAAT until you get to the EE/FF. and winning it was probably a harder task than Making the S16/EE some years.

And last year was our first decent basketball team sincejoining the ACC, and the tournament was canceled, so I’m not real sure we have a single ACCT win. I know we’ve never made even the semis I don’t think.

Last edited:
I'm thinking to reduce Covid chances.

I'm thinking to reduce Covid chances.

understand that. Just don’t know why they think conference tourneys would create more risk than playing regular season games. maybe if they cancel the conf tourneys and have every ncaaT team quarantine that week before going to indiana to their bubble. It will be interesting, I’m just for as many games as safely possible, and also unlike most years that ACC title is pretty ripe for the picking. Not saying we are the best acc team by any means but there’s not really a juggernaut like their usually is between duke/unc/uva/FSU

Wouldn’t be surprised but likely will come down to the conferences.

???? Would suck for mid majors, but I’m not totally against it. Don’t see how they could prove it would hurt the odds of the ncaaT being played.

I really enjoy the P5 conf tournaments. A couple of our runs in the old Big East Tourney were just as fun as the NCAAT until you get to the EE/FF. and winning it was probably a harder task than Making the S16/EE some years.

And last year was our first decent basketball team sincejoining the ACC, and the tournament was canceled, so I’m not real sure we have a single ACCT win. I know we’ve never made even the semis I don’t think.

It would only suck for the mid majors that weren’t good enough to wind their league. The automatic bid would just go to the regular season champion.

I’ve actually been thinking about this question and believe they probably should cancel them (unless the vaccination process speeds up a lot). How badly would it suck if you’re a contender and some of your stars contract the virus the weekend before in the conference tournament? I think it would make more sense for all the teams to quarantine before they go to Indianapolis where they’re all going to be playing on the same few courts.

It would only suck for the mid majors that weren’t good enough to wind their league. The automatic bid would just go to the regular season champion.

I’ve actually been thinking about this question and believe they probably should cancel them (unless the vaccination process speeds up a lot). How badly would it suck if you’re a contender and some of your stars contract the virus the weekend before in the conference tournament? I think it would make more sense for all the teams to quarantine before they go to Indianapolis where they’re all going to be playing on the same few courts.
I think it more probable that some of the P5 conferences choose this route.

It would suck for the teams that don’t win the regular season, maybe they had a guy out or missed time bc of covid. Instead of getting a chance to play their way in, they’d just be SOL. Or conferences with two good teams at the top, who say split their head to head matchups. Instead of deciding it on the court in the tourney, it could come down to some crazy tiebreaker.

granted if the tourney teams are indeed gonna quarantine until the real tourney, then yea that makes sense. If not whose to say they aren’t just as likely to contract covid in their hometown or during a regular season away game.

I guess I don’t understand the correlation between playing conf tournament making the odds of players getting covid go up. ESP if they bubble up the conf tourneys like they are the real tourney.

Push come to shove, I don’t really care though, I just want their to be real tourney. I just like betting conf tourneys lol

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Should we stop now and start the tourney?
Vandy is not winning the SEC, but they could infect a team that would be dancing not to mention teams coming into contact with people at a conference tourney.

Vandy is not winning the SEC, but they could infect a team that would be dancing not to mention teams coming into contact with people at a conference tourney.
So let that team forfeit. So many protocols are in place, and with bubbles, I don't get it. If the NBA can have the playoffs, and entire football seasons (plural), being played (not to mention other sports), I think it's silly to cancel a 4-5 day tournament.

Reactions: Scotty00
So let that team forfeit. So many protocols are in place, and with bubbles, I don't get it. If the NBA can have the playoffs, and entire football seasons (plural), being played (not to mention other sports), I think it's silly to cancel a 4-5 day tournament.
So, I'm going to put you down as a "maybe" vote. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Either play all tournaments, or shut it down now. It doesn't make sense to think that one is safe, but not both. If it isn't worth the risk, then why even have a season?

It follows the same logic as Boston University. We'll take action to make it appear that we're being cautious, even though our actions (and common sense) contradict our statements.

Eq_hFoLXEAABJyI

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
quarantining before going to indiana t the ncaaT makes sense to me. But if they aren’t gonna do that, there’s no sense in canceling the conf tourneys imo.

I agree with that. Maybe I’m just hoping that there’s a quarantine beforehand.

I would hate for a team to go into the bubble and then infect another. As for the argument of “if you don’t have conference tournaments then why play the season at all” I would simply point out timing of the conference tournaments relative to the NCAA tournament. It would suck to be down a guy or two in the regular season, but far worse in a one/done tournament.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I agree with that. Maybe I’m just hoping that there’s a quarantine beforehand.

I would hate for a team to go into the bubble and then infect another. As for the argument of “if you don’t have conference tournaments then why play the season at all” I would simply point out timing of the conference tournaments relative to the NCAA tournament. It would suck to be down a guy or two in the regular season, but far worse in a one/done tournament.
Should there be forfeits or stand ins(depending on the round) in the NCAAT?

If UK isn't going to win the conference tourney to stumble into the NCAA tourney, then I vote " Shut her down!".

I hope that they do play the tournaments, but I don’t think that they will.

Meh. You'd still be sending a mid major's top teams to the tournament, as opposed to whatever middle of the pack team catches fire or takes advantage of the top team getting upset by a conference opponent that matched up well with them.

The tougher part will be figuring out at-large bids, because the committee is so use to relying on the conference tourneys to help sort out the remaining bids.

That's where you could see a mid-major on the bubble get hurt.

I think the smaller conferences should only include the top 2-4 teams in their conference tournament. Increase the odds that someone good will represent the conference in the NCAAs
Nah, and I could be wrong, but I do think there are a couple conferences that only take like the top 8 teams. That would honestly be a better way to go about conference tourneys, instead of all these extra games between the 11/14 and 12/13 seeds..............

ADVERTISEMENT