ADVERTISEMENT

Do You Think the Big 10 Deserves All These Bids?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not saying they do or don't - if you notice, the subject line is a question. I really don't know. I've seen limited action this year and haven't looked @ the important #'s.

These bids gotta come from somewhere. The league is deep in quality.

Other than Neb and Nwstern, all other teams still in the hunt.

Which lower tier teams are in the most trouble if any at all? IU is suddenly feeling a bit dicey to me, though I think they do have a monster win vs FSU? They've lost 4 in a row they really need a win vs Iowa with two straight roadies after that one.

Minnesota sitting 12-11. I actually saw them play one game and I thought they looked okay.

Rambling.

I want YOUR thoughts not mine.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
IU has the win over FSU but it was at home. The record books are littered with teams that were left out with a resume that has 1 or 2 big wins at home and nothing else.

To your overall question, the problem is 68 teams have to come from somewhere. ACC is down. SEC sucks. Mid-majors have a few dominant teams but are they almost too dominant such that they win their conference tourney too?

I think the Big 10 probably deserves 9 or 10. 11 or 12 would be overboard, IMO.

Essentially, the key is winning your OOC games. The B1G did that and they are reaping the rewards. Now they have all these top 50 NET teams so almost every game is a Quad 1 or Quad 2 game. Thus, you can stack up losses in the conference and still have a strong tournament resume.

Can't fault them for winning their OOC games and then the system rewarding them for that. However, there may be a slight issue with the system if the 10 OOC games you play set the anchor for your NET.

when looking @ Quad wins they do deserve the teams that are in.

BUTT there are 8 more BT games left, these will determine who and how many will get bids
looking at the teams by overall records forget the BT Standings
these are locks
MD 19-4
PSU 18-5
Iowa 17-7
Illinois 16-7
Rutgers 16-7
MSU 16-8

bubble teams
OSU 15-7
Indiana 15-8
Michigan 14-9
out of it
Nebraska 7-16
NW 6-15

the next 8 games will determine who gets the bids and who doesn't. this is the year of the home team wins more than they lose with the only that are the only true bottom feeders,

I'm still on record saying a B1G team doesn't win the natty. Best conference but too many choke artists in that league.
why do you call them choke artists? is it because you don't think teams deserve to WIN @ HOME?

giphy.gif

2000 is the only reasonable answer to this question

the only answer I would give here is what big 10 team in the last 20 years since Msu won it all was good enough and Didn’t win it? . Illinois in 2005 maybe but that unc team was stacked. Perhaps Ohio st. in 2011 is all I can think of. I just don’t think the big 10 has had a good enough team verses a good enough team choking.

Reactions: jhmossy
Essentially, the key is winning your OOC games. The B1G did that and they are reaping the rewards. Now they have all these top 50 NET teams so almost every game is a Quad 1 or Quad 2 game. Thus, you can stack up losses in the conference and still have a strong tournament resume.

Can't fault them for winning their OOC games and then the system rewarding them for that. However, there may be a slight issue with the system if the 10 OOC games you play set the anchor for your NET.

Particularly when you are rewarded more for beating a below average team by 25 than you are for beating a good team by 3.

2000 is the only reasonable answer to this question

THIS is the year of the BT Home teams winning,

there is just are no easy games in the BT. even Nebraska beat Purdue.

Iowa split with Michigan and MD on the home n home

now in the 2nd half Iowa travels to Minnesota and Illinois. so there will be 2 losses for Iowa
these are 4 home games vs 4 road games so a 4-4 split down the stretch would not be a bad way to end the season with Iowa having 3 home games out of their last 5 games,

Particularly when you are rewarded more for beating a below average team by 25 than you are for beating a good team by 3.

the kenpom rankings have the Auburn home board all kinds of pissed off. We have 3 straight quad 1 wins and have moved down after each one of them

the only answer I would give here is what big 10 team in the last 20 years since Msu won it all was good enough and Didn’t win it? . Illinois in 2005 maybe but that unc team was stacked. Perhaps Ohio st. in 2011 is all I can think of. I just don’t think the big 10 has had a good enough team verses a good enough team choking.

We should have won it in 2015.

Eh. Kentucky has more of an arguement then Wisconsin Does. First loss all season for them. You guys were two white to beat UK and Duke back to back in a final 4. Talent eventually won out.

We were good enough to win it.

Your question was which teams were good enough. They were all good enough. Only one team wins though

2013 Michigan was a bad call away from a title

Reactions: RichardMassive
Your question was which teams were good enough. They were all good enough. Only one team wins though

Ok but the discussion was on choking. I wouldn’t say Wisconsin choked in 2015. I think they did all they could

Ok but the discussion was on choking. I wouldn’t say Wisconsin choked in 2015. I think they did all they could

When you are a P5 conference that is arguably one of the best each year and haven’t won since 2000, your entire conference has choked.

When you are a P5 conference that is arguably one of the best each year and haven’t won since 2000, your entire conference has choked.
in your mind only. to win the Natty a team has to get hot at the right to win 6 straight.

sometimes a team gets beat up on in a good league then run out of steam in the Championship game.

this year the BT Winner will have gone thru a brutal conference season with no rest to sustain them thru 9 games @ the end of the season, 3 BTT then 6 more in the NCAAT.

some times I feel it is in the BT Best teams interest to lose in the 1st rnd then get rest before the NCAAT begins,

Kinda like UK and UF for you SEC homers.

The ACC has four different champs this century.

and yet one of those 4 told your conference to go pound sand.

The ACC in basketball is basically the SEC in football though. I will agree. 5 different programs that have won national titles in football in the last 22 seasons played.

in your mind only. to win the Natty a team has to get hot at the right to win 6 straight.

sometimes a team gets beat up on in a good league then run out of steam in the Championship game.

this year the BT Winner will have gone thru a brutal conference season with no rest to sustain them thru 9 games @ the end of the season, 3 BTT then 6 more in the NCAAT.

some times I feel it is in the BT Best teams interest to lose in the 1st rnd then get rest before the NCAAT begins,

Hasn’t hurt the ACC in recent years.

and yet one of those 4 told your conference to go pound sand.

The ACC in basketball is basically the SEC in football though. I will agree. 5 different programs that have won national titles in football in the last 22 seasons played.

And two programs who won championships this century decided to join our conference.

And it’s a consensus that SEC is best in football like ACC is best in basketball

And two programs who won championships this century decided to join our conference.

I am not sure I would be bragging about taking 2 schools from a dying football conference that no one else wanted. It’s also only 1 team that won a title. The other was vacated

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
ADVERTISEMENT