ADVERTISEMENT

Do you donate to your school?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Just out of curiosity... do folks generally donate to their University?

giphy.gif

Yes. Partly so that I can get season tickets and partly so that I can support specific scholarships and organizations that I was fortunate enough to benefit from.

Nearly all my success in life was made possible in some part because someone else sacrificed or contributed something. So I feel it’s my responsibility to do the same for the next generation.

(I also have no problem with those who don’t feel that way. But for me/my family, giving back is important).

I don’t know if this would be considered donating money to Duke school but I’m at Duke hospital for doctors appointments about every 4-6 weeks and it costs $2 per hour to park in the parking decks and Duke school owns all of the parking decks and parking lots that are used by Duke hospital. So in a way I guess you could say that I donate $4-$6 to Duke school every 4-6 weeks.

Yes. Partly so that I can get season tickets and partly so that I can support specific scholarships and organizations that I was fortunate enough to benefit from.

Nearly all my success in life was made possible in some part because someone else sacrificed or contributed something. So I feel it’s my responsibility to do the same for the next generation.

(I also have no problem with those who don’t feel that way. But for me/my family, giving back is important).
Are those scholarships and organizations directly affiliated with the school? Or are they independent orgs. that help students pay for college of whichever college they choose to attend?

I believe most us feel giving back is important. Those of us that got little to no scholarship money have probably spent around a quarter million on their education. They've given back enough to the school. I get your situation though, and if you feel the need to give back because they gave you an opportunity, I am all for it. I just choose to give back to those I feel need it more.

As a side note to my first post with how much money all of the different health insurances that I’ve had throughout my life have spent on medical bills paid to Duke hospital they could afford to give me season tickets to Duke men’s basketball for life. lol

Reactions: denniden
I donate towards UNCG athletics, but most of it is earmarked for the Cross Country/Track programs. Felt like it was a privilege to compete at the D-1 level, and I like idea of contributing to something much bigger than myself. Can certainly understand/appreciate if you feel like you've donated enough towards your school.

I will say that I'm a little annoyed with the current head coach because I sent him a zillion pictures that I took at a recent meet and he never responded (I was hoping he could send the pictures to the current team)... and then a few weeks later he sent me a message about reminding me to donate towards the program. So Idk, maybe I'll take a break from donating until he actually tries to engage in a real conversation.

Reactions: GE Nole
Are those scholarships and organizations directly affiliated with the school? Or are they independent orgs. that help students pay for college of whichever college they choose to attend?

I believe most us feel giving back is important. Those of us that got little to no scholarship money have probably spent around a quarter million on their education. They've given back enough to the school. I get your situation though, and if you feel the need to give back because they gave you an opportunity, I am all for it. I just choose to give back to those I feel need it more.

Directly affiliated to the university. I support the College of Humanities and Social Science study abroad fund at NC State (where I did my undergrad). I didn’t actually get to do a study abroad because I was a varsity athlete but I was fortunate enough to spend a ton of time abroad as I was growing up thanks to my step-dad working in London during summer and winter breaks (he was a college professor), and I also had a few friends who were able to study abroad thanks to scholarships and it really was eye opening for them. Then I also support the varsity club at NCSU so that Olympic sport athletes like myself can continue to have opportunities and funds to make use of.

At FSU College of Law I support the Mock Trial team, since I participated in that and was able to compete in competitions around the country thanks to donors.

Then I also work for a non-profit for my career job (not my side hustle) and I give to the non-profit I work for as well.

FWIW, I have about $90k in student loan debt, and my wife is up to about $60k as she finishes up her graduate program at FSU’s nursing program. But those debts are choices we made to get to the position in life we want to be. It’s not like the school held me down and forced me to take a loan in order to get a mandated law degree.

Last edited:
I donate towards UNCG athletics, but most of it is earmarked for the Cross Country/Track programs. Felt like it was a privilege to compete at the D-1 level, and I like idea of contributing to something much bigger than myself. Can certainly understand/appreciate if you feel like you've donated enough towards your school.

I will say that I'm a little annoyed with the current head coach because I sent him a zillion pictures that I took at a recent meet and he never responded (I was hoping he could send the pictures to the current team)... and then a few weeks later he sent me a message about reminding me to donate towards the program. So Idk, maybe I'll take a break from donating until he actually tries to engage in a real conversation.

That’s exactly it. Nailed it. As a human on these Earth, I am part of something bigger than myself. And that was also true during my life experiences that have helped shape who I am. So I give back so others can share in those experiences and “bigger than ourselves” mentality.

Sorry about your recent experience. I can understand the frustration. My guess is, the letter you received was writing by a development associate and put onto the Track/CC letter head. Probably aren’t even connected. But he should definitely respond to your email.

I ran at UNC-Gs track quite a few times in college. Actually set my PR in the 200 there, during a rain storm no less. Good facility.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yes. However, we don’t donate to the athletic department, just academics. Not that I have anything against donating to athletics, we just don’t do it.

Out of pure curiosity, why those two orgs? Nothing against either one, just interested in knowing the motivation.
My wife works for a non profit sponsored by the United Way. St. Judes is local and we spend some free time there. She donates to United Way out of her check. I spend mine directly. It's not that much.

Reactions: GE Nole
I went to USI; Southern Indiana. I do not donate to them. I do though, donate to Indiana. Also, 2 years ago, when the $$$ were good---We helped build a new baseball field at the HS...:D
Taking a note out of @GE Nole ;s post, why donate to IU? Just honestly curious.

I full understand providing labor to help build.

That’s exactly it. Nailed it. As a human on these Earth, I am part of something bigger than myself. And that was also true during my life experiences that have helped shape who I am. So I give back so others can share in those experiences and “bigger than ourselves” mentality.

Sorry about your recent experience. I can understand the frustration. My guess is, the letter you received was writing by a development associate and put onto the Track/CC letter head. Probably aren’t even connected. But he should definitely respond to your email.

I ran at UNC-Gs track quite a few times in college. Actually set my PR in the 200 there, during a rain storm no less. Good facility.

Yeah, so I sent him the cross country pics through e-mail and he never responded. And then a few weeks later he sent me a Facebook message thanking me for my donation from the previous year, and then providing a link to where I could donate this year. He wasn't my coach when I ran there, but we have corresponded a few times through e-mail and Facebook. I know he has a lot on his plate so it's probably not something to lose sleep over, I just know that I always appreciated getting race pictures - so maybe I'll have to track down some of the runners myself.

I gotta ask about your schools, NC State and Florida State. Guess you never have any reservations about rooting for FSU over NC State, right? You at least have a little disdain for UNC, right? My favorite thing about Wolfpack fans is we always have a common bond through our mutual hatred of all things UNC. And you were a sprinter at NC State? They have a good program there. I've talked with Rollie Geiger a few times; he's a top-notch coach. And I've known several former NC State runners (mostly distance).

Yeah, so I sent him the cross country pics through e-mail and he never responded. And then a few weeks later he sent me a Facebook message thanking me for my donation from the previous year, and then providing a link to where I could donate this year. He wasn't my coach when I ran there, but we have corresponded a few times through e-mail and Facebook. I know he has a lot on his plate so it's probably not something to lose sleep over, I just know that I always appreciated getting race pictures - so maybe I'll have to track down some of the runners myself.

I gotta ask about your schools, NC State and Florida State. Guess you never have any reservations about rooting for FSU over NC State, right? You at least have a little disdain for UNC, right? My favorite thing about Wolfpack fans is we always have a common bond through our mutual hatred of all things UNC. And you were a sprinter at NC State? They have a good program there. I've talked with Rollie Geiger a few times; he's a top-notch coach. And I've known several former NC State runners (mostly distance).

I grew up in Tallahassee and my family has deep FSU roots. Pictures of me on Bobby’s lap when I’m like 2 years old, prior to the “Dynasty” starting. Growing up in Tally in the 80s and early 90s, it was a much smaller town. Almost like Auburn with a capitol building. So FSU sort of represented the whole city and going to games was like going to church.

Suffice to say, I have no qualms rooting for FSU over NCSU. Except in track. I root for NCSU and NCSU only in track. Also men’s soccer and wrestling since FSU doesn’t have those sports and I knew a ton of guys on those teams when I was there.

That said, I do casually root for NCSU in football and basketball and I’m always happy to see the Tar Heels lose. So we do have that in common.

Rollie was “my coach,” in that he was the head coach when I was on the team. But honestly, I interacted with him like once a week. He really doesn’t have much interest in sprinters and jumpers other than knowing he needs them on the team. He’s a great distance coach, but honestly he’s a bit of an ass. Just always grouchy. My sprint coach was a great guy and I loved going to work for him. The sprinters and jumpers didn’t have near the high school pedigree as most of the distance guys, but he was a great developer of talent and there were a few years we carried the team at ACC championships. My roommate was a walk-on his freshman year and he won back to back ACC titles in the 400m hurdles.

I grew up in Tallahassee and my family has deep FSU roots. Pictures of me on Bobby’s lap when I’m like 2 years old, prior to the “Dynasty” starting. Growing up in Tally in the 80s and early 90s, it was a much smaller town. Almost like Auburn with a capitol building. So FSU sort of represented the whole city and going to games was like going to church.

Suffice to say, I have no qualms rooting for FSU over NCSU. Except in track. I root for NCSU and NCSU only in track. Also men’s soccer and wrestling since FSU doesn’t have those sports and I knew a ton of guys on those teams when I was there.

That said, I do casually root for NCSU in football and basketball and I’m always happy to see the Tar Heels lose. So we do have that in common.

Rollie was “my coach,” in that he was the head coach when I was on the team. But honestly, I interacted with him like once a week. He really doesn’t have much interest in sprinters and jumpers other than knowing he needs them on the team. He’s a great distance coach, but honestly he’s a bit of an ass. Just always grouchy. My sprint coach was a great guy and I loved going to work for him. The sprinters and jumpers didn’t have near the high school pedigree as most of the distance guys, but he was a great developer of talent and there were a few years we carried the team at ACC championships. My roommate was a walk-on his freshman year and he won back to back ACC titles in the 400m hurdles.

Gotcha. Cool to hear about the deep ties to FSU. Rollie is a legend. I could see him being an ass. A lot of head coaches tend to be, and the more clout they have, the more they don't mind steamrolling over other people. What years did you run there? I'd say there's a good chance you know the UNCG Head Coach then, and that is Chad Pearson. He ran at NC State in the early 2000's.

Gotcha. Cool to hear about the deep ties to FSU. Rollie is a legend. I could see him being an ass. A lot of head coaches tend to be, and the more clout they have, the more they don't mind steamrolling over other people. What years did you run there? I'd say there's a good chance you know the UNCG Head Coach then, and that is Chad Pearson. He ran at NC State in the early 2000's.

I absolutely know Chad. He was a senior my freshman year and I got to know him a bit because Rollie had me room with a distance guy freshman year. There was an odd number of freshman sprinters and I am white, so...

Anyway, Chad was real nice. Then he was a grad assistant the rest of the time I was at State. He slowly took on more and more of Geiger’s characteristics lol. More and more of a “distance guy” who only talked to lowly sprinters because we had to be on the team. I could tell he really respected Geiger and was trying to emulate him as a coach—which you can’t blame him.

I absolutely know Chad. He was a senior my freshman year and I got to know him a bit because Rollie had me room with a distance guy freshman year. There was an odd number of freshman sprinters and I am white, so...

Anyway, Chad was real nice. Then he was a grad assistant the rest of the time I was at State. He slowly took on more and more of Geiger’s characteristics lol. More and more of a “distance guy” who only talked to lowly sprinters because we had to be on the team. I could tell he really respected Geiger and was trying to emulate him as a coach—which you can’t blame him.

Being a track head coach is tough because most of the coaches specialize in distance or sprints/jumps. And then there's the fact that there's more events in sprints/jumps/throws. But, cross country is its own sport, so you can get three different sports from one student athlete. NC State seemed more geared towards distance; Florida State is geared towards sprints. Some schools have a nice middle ground... I can appreciate feeling like you're on the short of a stick. The track coach for my first 2 years of high school was not a distance guy, would rarely talk to us, and once in a while when the distance coach wasn't available, he would tell us to just jog in the outside lane until he said stop. Was excited when he stepped down after my sophomore year.

Speaking of jerk coaches, Chris Seaton has got to be one of them, right? I've spoken to a lot of State runners over the years, and he's only one I didn't particularly care for.

Being a track head coach is tough because most of the coaches specialize in distance or sprints/jumps. And then there's the fact that there's more events in sprints/jumps/throws. But, cross country is its own sport, so you can get three different sports from one student athlete. NC State seemed more geared towards distance; Florida State is geared towards sprints. Some schools have a nice middle ground... I can appreciate feeling like you're on the short of a stick. The track coach for my first 2 years of high school was not a distance guy, would rarely talk to us, and once in a while when the distance coach wasn't available, he would tell us to just jog in the outside lane until he said stop. Was excited when he stepped down after my sophomore year.

Speaking of jerk coaches, Chris Seaton has got to be one of them, right? I've spoken to a lot of State runners over the years, and he's only one I didn't particularly care for.

FSU was definitely more geared to sprints back then. That’s part of why I didn’t go there—I couldn’t get recruited with Walter Dix on the team lol. Now it’s a bit more balanced I think, but I honestly don’t follow them closely.

Chris Seaton...man that guy is a straight prick. I can get along well with most people. I did everything from drama, to track, to football, to debate in high school. But Chris Seaton is someone I just couldn’t stand. I would actually not want to be friends with him, because if I was I would question whether I was an ass hole too.

He and I almost went to blows in the locker room once over something he said to a fellow sprinter.

FSU was definitely more geared to sprints back then. That’s part of why I didn’t go there—I couldn’t get recruited with Walter Dix on the team lol. Now it’s a bit more balanced I think, but I honestly don’t follow them closely.

Chris Seaton...man that guy is a straight prick. I can get along well with most people. I did everything from drama, to track, to football, to debate in high school. But Chris Seaton is someone I just couldn’t stand. I would actually not want to be friends with him, because if I was I would question whether I was an ass hole too.

He and I almost went to blows in the locker room once over something he said to a fellow sprinter.

Yeah, FSU has had some amazing sprinters over the years. All-American after All-American... lol at Seaton. Not surprised. I can't judge him too closely because I only had a few interactions with him. But, the guy seemed like a total douche. Wouldn't want to hang around him either.

If tuition counts as a "donation" then yes. That also means I donate to UK for my twin daughters' tuition, as well as my son's at Villanova, as well as my daughter's at Belmont.

Reactions: TarCock29
If tuition counts as a "donation" then yes. That also means I donate to UK for my twin daughters' tuition, as well as my son's at Villanova, as well as my daughter's at Belmont.
Damn! I bet you’re paying a fortune in tuition costs right now.

Congrats to you and them though. I bet you’re a proud dad.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I recently played in the DePaul hockey alumni game and after the game I handed the team captain $100 program donation which I assume went straight to his bar tab later that night. Does that count?

I recently played in the DePaul hockey alumni game and after the game I handed the team captain $100 program donation which I assume went straight to his bar tab later that night. Does that count?
Reported

@GE Nole did you have to take ice baths after workouts? Yesterday one of my teammates sent me a screenshot of a conversation he had with our coach. Without a doubt this was my least favorite part of running in college. Can't believe we suffered through hundreds of ice baths when the evidence is conflicting at best.

86185825_10105018336365741_2350050394626850816_n.jpg

@GE Nole did you have to take ice baths after workouts? Yesterday one of my teammates sent me a screenshot of a conversation he had with our coach. Without a doubt this was my least favorite part of running in college. Can't believe we suffered through hundreds of ice baths when the evidence is conflicting at best.

86185825_10105018336365741_2350050394626850816_n.jpg

I absolutely was forced into an unthinkable number of ice baths. Although at least I also was able to use a hot tub to warm up muscles too.

Did y’all have an underwater treadmill? Holy hell I felt like I was gonna drown in that a few times. Made me not want to tell them I was hurt, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT