ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Jeffries blames the UK staff for his decommitment

kyjeff1

Sep 8, 2012
Guess I didn't know this back when it happened, but in this article, he states he decommitted because the UK staff didn't come see him play enough for his liking.

Penny must have attended his last game, probably to see Wiseman, but hey, he was there.

Also, you can't say "I finish what I started" when you quit on UK because you didn't get the attention you desired.

D.J. Jeffries appreciates Kentucky, "difficult" basketball journey - On3

Last edited:
The kids have got to do what’s best for them ultimately. I hated see him go, and as far as UK being “unprofessional” -whatever that means - I can’t blame them for doing all that work get his commitment and then Penny gets hired and he’s gone. To me thats more unprofessional . . . But it’s all good in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
The kids have got to do what’s best for them ultimately. I hated see him go, and as far as UK being “unprofessional” -whatever that means - I can’t blame them for doing all that work get his commitment and then Penny sheets hired and he’s gone. To me that more unprofessional . . . But it’s all good in the end.
The one who paid the biggest price here, is DJ.

He’s not as good as he thought he was and he made a huge mistake. However, I don't think he realizes it yet.

If you get an offer from UK, duke, uNC, KU, Gonzaga, Baylor etc… , you don't throw that away, you better take that opportunity.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
The kids have got to do what’s best for them ultimately. I hated see him go, and as far as UK being “unprofessional” -whatever that means - I can’t blame them for doing all that work get his commitment and then Penny sheets hired and he’s gone. To me that more unprofessional . . . But it’s all good in the end.
Just playing devils advocate, but is it possible they started to go colder on him because he wasn’t continuing to progress at the expected level, or they saw another player for the spot they wanted more? I don’t remember the details or who else Kentucky ended up having in that class.

Recruiting doesn’t end at commitment. You need to continue to recruit them. Maybe they did and it’s more on him. There’s usually more to the story on the inside that we’ll never know.

Just playing devils advocate, but is it possible they started to go colder on him because he wasn’t continuing to progress at the expected level, or they saw another player for the spot they wanted more? I don’t remember the details or who else Kentucky ended up having in that class.

Recruiting doesn’t end at commitment. You need to continue to recruit them. Maybe they did and it’s more on him. There’s usually more to the story on the inside that we’ll never know.
I'm not sure what the protocol is on what coaches are supposed to do after a commitment, but the bottom line is, DJ had an offer from UK and he committed. So, by decommitting, he certainly didn't finish what he started.

Then he left Memphis and tried to leave Mississippi State, so in my mind, he has no idea what "I always finish what I started" means.

Also, if he was being honest, he admit he decommitted from UK to follow Wiseman. He was trying to ride in Wiseman's encourage and that was a very bad decision.

Again, if you have a signed deal with a blue blood or a contender, you don't piss it away to go play with your buddy and you certainly don't roll the dice with Penny Hardaway.

I'm not sure what the protocol is on what coaches are supposed to do after a commitment, but the bottom line is, DJ had an offer from UK and he committed. So, by decommitting, he certainly didn't finish what he started.

Then he left Memphis and tried to leave Mississippi State, so in my mind, he has no idea what "I always finish what I started" means.

Also, if he was being honest, he admit he decommitted from UK to follow Wiseman. He was trying to ride in Wiseman's encourage and that was a very bad decision.

Again, if you have a signed deal with a blue blood or a contender, you don't piss it away to go play with your buddy and you certainly don't roll the dice with Penny Hardaway.
locality had a lot to do with it. penny wanted to keep players home. plus we were going after the prize in memphis.

Amazing how many locals have warmed back up to Calipari.
Im leaving out a lot of specifics, but those dont do anyone any good.

All that is fair, but is it also possible that UK also was using him as a way to help solidify Wiseman?

I think the protocol on what to do after commitment may be different by school, but it’s about continuing to build the relationship. If you become distant to your fiancé after she says she’ll marry you, don’t expect her to be at the alter.

All that said, his track record does look pretty flakey. But I think both things can be true. It’s possible both sides sort of flaked on the other.

All that is fair, but is it also possible that UK also was using him as a way to help solidify Wiseman?

I think the protocol on what to do after commitment may be different by school, but it’s about continuing to build the relationship. If you become distant to your fiancé after she says she’ll marry you, don’t expect her to be at the alter.

All that said, his track record does look pretty flakey. But I think both things can be true. It’s possible both sides sort of flaked on the other.
Cal followed Jefferies at an early age. could be ties to memphis, could be wiseman

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

I think UK ended up with Khalil Whitney in that spot and that flaky sumbitch bounced after 18 games

Given DJ's track record, I'm not sure I'm going to buy everything he's selling here, especially after he states he's a "finish what you started" guy after he backed out of his UK commitment, left Memphis and tried to leave MSU.

Yeah, I get it, UK could have gone to his last game, but do we know if Cal and/or his staff just stopped contacting him all together? He might have a point if they didn't come to his last game AAAAND they weren't contacting him.

Also, word on the street is Penny already swooped in and got a silent verbal from DJ and asked him to delay his decision to back out of the UK offer, but I'm not going to lean on that since it's just a strong rumor, but 'strong' it is.

Also, yeah, Cal wanted to get Wiseman and sending an offer to DJ, would certainly help with that, but we can't act like DJ was some 2* player, he was a 5* kid, which is what Cal is always after.

I'm no Cal fan, but DJ appears to be the dumbass here.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT