ADVERTISEMENT

Didn’t know UK, MSU and UVA were this bad from 3

Duke is certainly not lighting it up, just didn’t think these teams were worse than Duke at this time.

It sucks for UK b/c Calipari said he was going to recruit more shooter instead of the athletic slashers. UK fans were like "yay", and now here we are

I blame Rupp Arena's sight lines. We need to build an on campus arena that's perfect for shooters. :confused:

Reactions: Quavarius
Looks like teams have not quite adjusted to the new 3-point line (16+ inch increase). Numbers are down across the board.

I'm still hopeful for this Duke team. Unlike 2019, we at least have one bonafide three-point threat in Matthew Hurt. O'Connell and Baker are decent outside threats. I expect both of them to be north of 35%. Last year, among our top 7 players in minutes, Zion actually led the way in 3-point shooting at 33.8%. Not good. At least the spacing will be much better than it was last year.

Reactions: Quavarius
This is where the Langford injury really hurts MSU. Hopefully he is able to come back later in the year (but I highly doubt it). MSU is also appealing the NCAA to get Hauser eligible...he can really stroke it from 3. Word is he might be eligible in January.

Statistics are hard.

1. The season started two weeks ago.
2. Duke and MSU have attempted ~50% more 3s than UVA/UK
3. All have attempted less than 100, 3s
4. That tweet is as sensitive as it is stupid.

Not too surprising considering who we lost from last year. Our best 3 point shooters right now are our big men - Jay Huff and Mamadi Diakite. The guards are mostly newcomers and are not shooting well at all to start the season. They are not known as bad 3 point shooters but it's a brutal start. Definitely limits our ceiling. Fortunately, the defense is elite right now and the OOC schedule is light so we'll probably still win a good number of games.

Also, what conversation is that dude talking about? Is this a big talking point about Duke to which I'm oblivious?

Not too surprising considering who we lost from last year. Our best 3 point shooters right now are our big men - Jay Huff and Mamadi Diakite. The guards are mostly newcomers and are not shooting well at all to start the season. They are not known as bad 3 point shooters but it's a brutal start. Definitely limits our ceiling. Fortunately, the defense is elite right now and the OOC schedule is light so we'll probably still win a good number of games.

Also, what conversation is that dude talking about? Is this a big talking point about Duke to which I'm oblivious?

Prolly a continuation from the crap Duke heard from the talking heads about our lack of 3 point shooting (an impediment from winning it all) last year and how some seem to hold it against Duke when it’s other teams who are shooting it worse. I haven’t paid too much attention to the talking heads so I don’t know what exactly he’s referencing.

Reactions: jhmossy
It sucks for UK b/c Calipari said he was going to recruit more shooter instead of the athletic slashers. UK fans were like "yay", and now here we are

I blame Rupp Arena's sight lines. We need to build an on campus arena that's perfect for shooters. :confused:
Sight lines don’t seem to bother other teams, if D2 teams can shoot in Rupp, why can’t we?

O’Connell’s numbers are shockingly good for somebody so, seemingly, unreliable. I feel like Duke has two reliably good shooters in Baker and Hurt, and Baker won't see more than 14 mpg more than likely. I know it doesn't fit in with the thread, but it’s definitely a concern for me. I don't feel that's a slight on Duke, either - just an obvious concern.

Maybe too early - what I'd like to know, what are the 3pt % all teams combined - down, up, same? Compared to prior years...

Sight lines don’t seem to bother other teams, if D2 teams can shoot in Rupp, why can’t we?
Well, you have to come IN to Rupp playing for a 4-worded college, be a player that's never really accomplished anything remarkable, and then just for some random reason go completely ape sh!t like never before, post a career high when you didn't even make the pre-game scouting tape, and then return to obscurity when your team loses the next 4 games in a row while you score approximately 6 points in each loss.

The Kentucky Effect.

source.gif

LOL.... lets make fun of My cats for a minute.... this is getting so damn stupid haha. Barbee and Justus are in charge of shooting for guards and wings.... how do they have jobs after 5 years of this crap?

So the career 30% 3 point shooter is having trouble teaching guys how to shoot 3s? I went to a lot of UNCW games in those days and Justus was terrible.

Opponents certainly don't have a problem raining threes in Rupp.
That was the case again last night.

Wow, we're actually better than someone?

I thought UK was 360th out of 352 teams.

And whoa, if UVA is shooting that bad, they're in real trouble. It seemed that was their main weapon the last couple of years and points are at a premium in their games.

Yeah this year's team definitely has a ceiling due to the shooting. No worries, though, because help is on the way. It would have been nice if Sam Hauser could play this year.

Idk how much of an effect the line moving back has. I mean most players already shot like a foot or two behind the line anyways

Duke is certainly not lighting it up, just didn’t think these teams were worse than Duke at this time.
As a rule UK rarely shoots the three well. I personally don't think that Cal teaches good three point shot defense.

I was happy with the new three point line; however, the teams that UK have played so far seem to shoot it better farther out than at the old line!

Duke, Kentucky and Virginia are young teams and they may improve from the three.

A huge chunk of UK’s offense is coming from the free throw line. 5th in made. 14th in attempts. 27th in percentage. Shooting 79% as a team. Makes some sense because we’re also 317th in 3pt attempts.

I guess it’s good that we’re driving the ball if we’re getting calls and making free throws but that style Is so dependent on the officiating which we all know is pretty inconsistent in college basketball.

We’ve gotten a pretty friendly whistle so far and still looked pretty bad. I got a bad feeling about sec play.

MSU is typically a good shooting team from 3. I think the UK game, plus Rocket Watts (3 of 17 in 4 games) are making it seem worse than this tweet suggests.

They take a lot of 3s (20-25 a game), but so far haven't been that accurate. Even Winston, a career 40% shooter, missed 11 of his first 15 shots from 3 (1-7 against UK), but has hit 6 of 12 since.

Last edited:
Well, you have to come IN to Rupp playing for a 4-worded college, be a player that's never really accomplished anything remarkable, and then just for some random reason go completely ape sh!t like never before, post a career high when you didn't even make the pre-game scouting tape, and then return to obscurity when your team loses the next 4 games in a row while you score approximately 6 points in each loss.

The Kentucky Effect.

source.gif
Crispin brothers started that shit.

As a rule UK rarely shoots the three well. I personally don't think that Cal teaches good three point shot defense.

I was happy with the new three point line; however, the teams that UK have played so far seem to shoot it better farther out than at the old line!

Duke, Kentucky and Virginia are young teams and they may improve from the three.
Cal just refuses to utilize the three as an offensive scheme.

Updated as of 12/16/19:

Duke 35% from 3
MSU 31.3% from 3
UK 29.4% from 3
UVA 24.9% from 3

UK is a real oddity this year. We're top 10 in free throw %.
yes.

This fact removes a lot of my past arguments. UK has lost it last several NCAA games at the line.

My high school coach always said hit 50% from the field, 70% from the line and you will win the district. At the end of practice we had to shoot 10 free throws. You had to run a suicide. I was the kid in best shape.

Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK
MSU is not a good team right now. Too much shit they're dealing with off the court with injuries and Winstons brother which has affected the entire team.

They have talent, but who knows if they'll get it together this season.

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
Saw UK was 2-of-17 from 3 against Utah.

UK seems to be having a similar year to Duke last year where our 3 point shooting was on fire the first game of the season and went bad every game since.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT