ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Askew picked Kentucky fifteen days ago 10/17 @11 PM EST

I think he’ll end up as the #1 player by the time we hit the last ranking update.
I don't think he'll end up #1 in the rankings, but I do think he has a legit shot at #1 draft pick. He'll make any college(who's on his list) a national contender who's lucky enough to land him.

I’m not like some fans that only look at the number beside a players name.
Rankings don’t mean much to me.
I just think the other two fit what UNC needs more than Cade.
Now if UNC didn’t already have Caleb Love, Cade would be tops on my list.
Fair enough, but...Cunningham and Love are on two completely different levels. I do appreciate your angle.

Fair enough, but...Cunningham and Love are on two completely different levels. I do appreciate your angle.
You don’t know that they’re on different levels. Let them play a college game first.
I’ve seen many top 3 recruits get outplayed by players ranked below them.

Reactions: dirtyrock15
You don’t know that they’re on different levels. Let them play a college game first.
I’ve seen many top 3 recruits get outplayed by players ranked below them.
OK. We'll see. Do you think Love will start at UNC his freshman year?

....like Hagans vs coby White?
Exactly. Great example. here you Hagans, who was ranked 13th & the number 1 PG according to rivals vs White, who was ranked 26th & the number 6 SG according to rivals.
Hagans is still running wind sprints in Lexington while White is making millions for The Chicago Bulls after being the 7th pick in draft after playing out of position for UNC all year.

Exactly. Great example. here you Hagans, who was ranked 13th & the number 1 PG according to rivals vs White, who was ranked 26th & the number 6 SG according to rivals.
Hagans is still running wind sprints in Lexington while White is making millions for The Chicago Bulls after being the 7th pick in draft after playing out of position for UNC all year.
I always love UNC fans who appreciate OAD's while shitting on players staying multiple years. This is one of my favorite post from you. Hopefully you won't flip flop and shit on OAD's in the future and become a hypocrite.

I always love UNC fans who appreciate OAD's while shitting on players staying multiple years. This is one of my favorite post from you. Hopefully you won't flip flop and shit on OAD's in the future and become a hypocrite.
I’ve never been in favor of OAD’s.
I’d rather have the “baseball” rule. Go pro straight out of high school or go to college for 3 years.
I was just comparing two players.

I’ve never been in favor of OAD’s.
I’d rather have the “baseball” rule. Go pro straight out of high school or go to college for 3 years.
I was just comparing two players.
I understand, and the fairest way to compare the two players is when they matched up head to head.

I can post a highlight video of the two if you want.

I understand, and the fairest way to compare the two players is when they matched up head to head.
No problem
Hagans had 7 points, 3 assist, 8 steals, 4 rebounds & 5 turnovers
White had 8 points,2 assist, 1 steal, 2 rebounds & 4 turnovers.
You’d think the #1 pg in his class would’ve outplayed the #6 sg playing out of position by a bigger margin. Odd

Reactions: dirtyrock15
No problem
You’d think the #1 pg in his class would’ve outplayed the #6 sg playing out of position by a bigger margin. Odd
Looks like a pretty wide margin for me. +1 assists, better assist to turnover ratio (by far... .25 vs 1.6), +7 steals, -1 points (on better shooting percentages), +2 rebounds while playing 1 more minute.

I'm not even trying to argue Hagans is a better player, but he outplayed White head to head by a pretty large margin.

Also, didn't White play PG for you guys? Is his Rivals classification somehow more correct than the actual position he played?

Looks like a pretty wide margin for me. +1 assists, better assist to turnover ratio (by far... .25 vs 1.6), +7 steals, -1 points (on better shooting percentages), +2 rebounds while playing 1 more minute.

I'm not even trying to argue Hagans is a better player, but he outplayed White head to head by a pretty large margin.

Also, didn't White play PG for you guys? Is his Rivals classification somehow more correct than the actual position he played?
Not sure about a wide margin.
White was a shooting guard in high school but with the Jalek Felton situation, he had to play out of position at PG for UNC.

Not sure about a wide margin.
White was a shooting guard in high school but with the Jalek Felton situation, he had to play out of position at PG for UNC.
Exactly what part of those stats make it look they played close to the same level? Hagans obviously had a better offensive night and a WAAAAY better defensive night

Also, why do the Bulls refer to him as a PG as well if he is out of position at PG?

Exactly what part of those stats make it look they played close to the same level? Hagans obviously had a better offensive night and a WAAAAY better defensive night

Also, why do the Bulls refer to him as a PG as well if he is out of position at PG?
Obviously because he proved he can PG. he wasn’t recruited as a PG for UNC. He was brought in to play off the ball while Felton ran the point, but shit happens & you adapt or you fail.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
No problem
I appreciate our back and forth.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Obviously because he proved he can PG. he wasn’t recruited as a PG for UNC. He was brought in to play off the ball while Felton ran the point, but shit happens & you adapt or you fail.
So you argument is that his position is what Rivals classified him as in highschool (even though he was classified as a combo guard IIRC. Note: Maybe not? This seems to depend on which article you read), and not the position he played/plays in college and the NBA? Alrighty then, that is clarified.
I'm still waiting for an explanation of how those stats don't show Hagans outplaying White by a wide margin.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So you argument is that his position is what Rivals classified him as in highschool (even though he was classified as a combo guard IIRC. Note: Maybe not? This seems to depend on which article you read), and not the position he played/plays in college and the NBA? Alrighty then, that is clarified.
I'm still waiting for an explanation of how those stats don't show Hagans outplaying White by a wide margin.
My point is that if Felton wasn’t kicked off the team than White would’ve never played PG last year.
Hagans had a great defensive game & his steals stand out, that’s what gives him the edge in that game.

Hagans had a better game than White that day. Coby has a few games like that but not many. I don’t think anyone thinks Hagans was better because White had a bad game early in the year adjusting to the position.

I think player rankings have made people start discussing who's the better player undeservedly. I've learned that the number by the players name doesn't always equal position success. Villanova and UVA have proven that.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Congrats on the commit

As far as Hagans vs white. Yea Hagans outplayed him head to head but that’s just one game. Every player has a bad game from time to time and part of it was the fact that Hagans did a great job defensively (8 steals my goodness) but If nba scouts and gms (is the people whose jobs are on the line when projecting how young players will develop) thought Hagans was the better player then he wouldn’t be at UK this year he would have been a lottery pick. And I’m not discouraging how good of a player Hagans is because he is a helluva player esp defensively but he’s got to work on/fix his perimeter shooting. Which I’m counting on bc I just drafted him in the boards fantasy draft lol.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It would be like saying bone from UT is/was better than Hagans bc he had that really good game against UK during the regular season. And again bone was a helluva player but I don’t think he’s better than hagans.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It would be like saying bone from UT is/was better than Hagans bc he had that really good game against UK during the regular season. And again bone was a helluva player but I don’t think he’s better than hagans.
Bone is a great example as to why I don't pay any mind to player rankings. Dude was an assassin.

Anyway, Askew seems like a great get.

Good shooter, good playmaker, gamer with size that appears to still be growing - listed multiple spots at 6’3 - 6’5.

Cal’s system is usually at its best with big guards that can penetrate and facilitate.

I would take Bone 100 times out of 100 over Hagans. In fact if Bone was our PG instead of Hagans we cut down the nets last year.

Anyway, Askew seems like a great get.

Good shooter, good playmaker, gamer with size that appears to still be growing - listed multiple spots at 6’3 - 6’5.

Cal’s system is usually at its best with big guards that can penetrate and facilitate.

His shooting ability has me intrigued. A 40% three point shooter means he can likely excel off of the ball, and if he's 6'5 could likely play anywhere from one to the three in a 3 guard lineup. Really makes him versatile.

I thought Roy did a really good job with white last season. His improvement over the course of the season was impressive. Hagans looked like the best point guard in the sec for about a month and then seemed to just hit a wall the last month and a half.

Roy does a good job developing guys for the most part. I can’t think of many failures of his when it comes to that. I’m just envious that he can keep guys like the ones on that last title team for 3 and 4 years. Most of them would have been out the door after 1 or 2 here.

A kid like hagans stays 3 or 4 years at unc and becomes an all American. There’s 0 chance he comes back next season at Kentucky. He’ll go overseas if he isn’t on draft boards.

Do you think that has more to do with roy “holding his players back” or talking them into staying, or the fact that Calipari often recruits over players that aren’t projected to be drafted after their freshman/sophomore years like quade green/Charles Matthews/Kyle Wiltjer, which puts players in the situation of either returning to UK and coming off the bench or having to go pro before they are ready or transfer.

Which don’t get me wrong I’m not blaming Calipari for that strategy, why would he not want to recruit and land the best players possible each recruiting cycle. I mean I know it hurts there continuity and experience but you can’t reasonably expect any coach to not recruit or turn down a better player bc they already have a good player at that position.

I think Cunningham ends up at UK. I also think Love isn't that far behind him ability wise. Cunningham is better though. Also, Slater is wrong a lot. Until he changes his pick to whatever Evan Daniels or someone else picks at least. I thought he was considering a troll by most people tbh.

ADVERTISEMENT