ADVERTISEMENT

Derby Time

giphy.gif

Never understood the love for the derby. Bunch of rich white people, wearing ridiculous hats, drinking some drink I wouldn’t be caught dead with, betting large sums of money on a horse and a midget.

Waste of time IMO.

Never understood the love for the derby. Bunch of rich white people, wearing ridiculous hats, drinking some drink I wouldn’t be caught dead with, betting large sums of money on a horse and a midget.

Waste of time IMO.
That's an outsiders perspective of Derby. Locals know what's up. The neighborhood parties (sherby, oaks parties, derby parties, thurby) Then you have the debauchery that encompasses the infield, which is always entertaining. Also, the history and nostalgia for locals is awesome. From someone who's not from Louisville, sure I could see the stigma of upper class, white elites sitting in grandstands, betting on their fav horse with some gaudy hat on, with boatloads of ray bans, pink shirts and sperrys. However, it's not like that at all for the other 95 % of people that attend. It's ****ing fun, I'll be in town in a week and half for Thurby, Oaks, and Derby. Can't wait. It's the best event anywhere, hands down.

Waste of time IMO.
Obviously a TV viewers perspective. The infield is more like Mardi Gras. And you wouldn't be caught dead with a mint julep? Do you even know what it is?

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Tbh, Mint Julip's are pretty gross. Simple Syrup with Mint over a fine bourbon, gtfo. Give me a four roses with an ice cube stat.

One julep a year is good for me. Two back to back is heartburn.
How many road burns? jumpingsmile

Well my girlfriend lives in the highlands and we decided in the morning we'd ride downtown and check out the Thunder Over Louisville scene before it'd get crowded. That was a good ride. Perfect weather.

It went downhill when we started stopping at the bars on the way back. Luckily was like a mile away by time we called it a night.

Obviously never been to derby
Nope, never.

That's an outsiders perspective of Derby. Locals know what's up. The neighborhood parties (sherby, oaks parties, derby parties, thurby) Then you have the debauchery that encompasses the infield, which is always entertaining. Also, the history and nostalgia for locals is awesome. From someone who's not from Louisville, sure I could see the stigma of upper class, white elites sitting in grandstands, betting on their fav horse with some gaudy hat on, with boatloads of ray bans, pink shirts and sperrys. However, it's not like that at all for the other 95 % of people that attend. It's ****ing fun, I'll be in town in a week and half for Thurby, Oaks, and Derby. Can't wait. It's the best event anywhere, hands down.
I guess that’s fair. Although, everything I’ve ever seen on TV looks like something resembling hell. Total opposite of the type of people I would associate with.

Obviously a TV viewers perspective. The infield is more like Mardi Gras. And you wouldn't be caught dead with a mint julep? Do you even know what it is?
Yes, I know what it is. And no, i’m not drinking one. I’ve tried the drink before, and it wasn’t for me. I’m a man with facial hair. Give me a beer.

You ain't never been there.
Again, no. I have not. Never been to Kentucky, period. If/when I do, I’m going to see UK play basketball, not to some overhyped horse race.

Nope, never.

I guess that’s fair. Although, everything I’ve ever seen on TV looks like something resembling hell. Total opposite of the type of people I would associate with.

Yes, I know what it is. And no, i’m not drinking one. I’ve tried the drink before, and it wasn’t for me. I’m a man with facial hair. Give me a beer.

Again, no. I have not. Never been to Kentucky, period. If/when I do, I’m going to see UK play basketball, not to some overhyped horse race.

Hunter S Thompson nailed it decades ago.

http://grantland.com/features/looking-back-hunter-s-thompson-classic-story-kentucky-derby/

Favorite threads are the ones I find in morning that I forgot posting night before. I drove home too... on my bike

Went to South Regional in 2016 to watch KU and we did tour there. I’ve watched the Derby every year since. I never understood the infatuation until I visited there and I only toured the place.

Reactions: bkingUK
I understand why people from out of the state wouldn't want to watch/attend. But like OP said, I would put the next two weeks here against any place and any event. Starting at Thunder and ending when the horses run. Great stuff! Hey @npreston you'll have to come sometime. Its a lot more about good company and drinking than it is watching the horses actually run. And trust me, its not just rich white people. Redneck white folks love to attend and party, too :D

Waste of time IMO.
Sounds fun if young , single , and loaded.

The Derby is always a good excuse for me to throw 50 bucks out the window.

Waste of time IMO.
Turn 3. That’s where the trash resides. And boobies. Love the derby, the rich and the poor. Been thrice. Never disappointed.

I'd put these next two weeks in Kentucky against any place in the world. Good times my college basketball friends. Come down and drink some bourbon

LOVE the Derby and all the great activities (Like Thunder) and parties that lead up to it. Amazing time and if you have never experienced it, it’s a MUST.

This post 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT