ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul vs Texas Tech

As an Iowa fan, who do we want to win?

I imagine TT since we beat them. But DePaul would probably help our SOS.

Laughing

Bohannon and Luka Garza broke them it seems.

Think they are calling themselves a baseball school now and saying they are the Premier baseball school in Texas

Nah, we’re just very inexperienced and it’s yet to come together. Not having Ramsey is a killer as well. We’ll be fine but it may be late Jan before we get there.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Nah, we’re just very inexperienced and it’s yet to come together. Not having Ramsey is a killer as well. We’ll be fine but it may be late Jan before we get there.

I’ve been told that Beard could field an elite team with a group of hobos rounded up from the local community center.

You have one that plays the backcourt.
Benson?

He looks like he used to panhandle around Austin
EEJZtyoXUAUOETc.jpg

We whiffed big time on transfers. Holyfield is a train wreck and Clarke refuses to shoot the ball.

We could use some scrappy hobos right now.

It sure looks like it. Not going to be an easy go this year. And not much room for error with these ooc losses come conference play.

Reactions: Mtterrell
Unbelievable win last night! Still in shock that we pulled that off. This team has a lot of fight in it. Charlie Moore couldn't hit a shot, but did get 10 assists and 5 steals. Coleman-Lands with some massive shots, got carried off the court by the students.

Honestly, I can not remember ever having seen or been a part of a court storming at DePaul.in my lifetime. It was really cool to see that enthusiasm last night. I'm gonna have to get myself to some games this season.

WE ARE DEPAUL!

Unbelievable win last night! Still in shock that we pulled that off. This team has a lot of fight in it. Charlie Moore couldn't hit a shot, but did get 10 assists and 5 steals. Coleman-Lands with some massive shots, got carried off the court by the students.

Honestly, I can not remember ever having seen or been a part of a court storming at DePaul.in my lifetime. It was really cool to see that enthusiasm last night. I'm gonna have to get myself to some games this season.

WE ARE DEPAUL!
DePaul cheats.

Funny thing about a Longhorn fan talking smack about Texas Tech, is Texas has never made it to the Regional Finals in back-to-back years like Beard just did in 2018 and 2019.

Funny thing about a Longhorn fan talking smack about Texas Tech, is Texas has never made it to the Regional Finals in back-to-back years like Beard just did in 2018 and 2019.

They still aren't Texas yet. They may never be. Going to take more than two straight regional finals for them to establish themselves as the premier basketball team in the state.
Only reason they do care for basketball as much as they do is because they pretty much abandoned their football program. They are in West Texas after all and their AD has pretty much said all of these other sports don't matter if they aren't good at football.
Stay in your lane.

They are physical as well.

Saw their players run through screens a few times. They established they were going to be the more dominant team.

Since Dave Leitao's son plays football at Texas I wouldn't mind seeing you make the Tournament. He needs to do something to keep his job there.

The Ghost of Ray Meyer is alive and well

I hope not. Most overrated coach ever. His kid sucked as well.

I used to sell t-shirts for $5 on campus during the Joey Meyer era that read "FEYER MEYER".

One day Joey saw me wearing one in the gym and confronted me about it. I let him have it for ruining our program. He sarcastically thanked me for my support and I thanked him for taking us from the top 10 to the top 75. He crawled away with his tail between his legs.

I hope not. Most overrated coach ever. His kid sucked as well.

I used to sell t-shirts for $5 on campus during the Joey Meyer era that read "FEYER MEYER".

One day Joey saw me wearing one in the gym and confronted me about it. I let him have it for ruining our program. He sarcastically thanked me for my support and I thanked him for taking us from the top 10 to the top 75. He crawled away with his tail between his legs.

Ray had some solid teams

Ray had some solid teams

Ray holds the record for losing more times in the first round of the NCAA tournament as a #1 seed than any other coach. But, it doesn't get the press that UVA vs UMBC got because those losses were before the tournament expanded to 64 teams.

In the 80s DePaul lost to St. Joes and BC in the first round when they were the #1 seed in the entire tournament. DePaul also lost in the S16 as a #1 seed during that span as well.

He was an awful game coach. His big fatal flaw was he loved going to the 4 corners offense with a 4 point lead and 10 minutes left in the game. That led to both of those first round losses.

Ray holds the record for losing more times in the first round of the NCAA tournament as a #1 seed than any other coach. But, it doesn't get the press that UVA vs UMBC got because those losses were before the tournament expanded to 64 teams.

In the 80s DePaul lost to St. Joes and BC in the first round when they were the #1 seed in the entire tournament. DePaul also lost in the S16 as a #1 seed during that span as well.

He was an awful game coach. His big fatal flaw was he loved going to the 4 corners offense with a 4 point lead and 10 minutes left in the game. That led to both of those first round losses.

Yeah, 1 FF with the teams he had is not good.

I remember growing up and watching DePaul on WGN.

Those were the days.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
The vacation your team will be getting from the NCAA tournament, in the future, will have been worth it in the end, though, right? ;)

We've been on a vacation from the NCAA tournament for 2 decades. It doesn't faze us. And lol at you actually thinking anything serious is going to happen to DePaul. They already got their wrist slapped by the NCAA this year as Leitao was suspended for the first 3 games of the season and we lost a scholarship. That's about as severe as the NCAA is punishing anyone these days.

You're probably the same idiot who was preaching all last year that LSU's season would be wiped out by the NCAA and nothing happened.

Yeah, 1 FF with the teams he had is not good.

I remember growing up and watching DePaul on WGN.

Those were the days.

we had season tickets their first couple years when they moved to the Rosemont Horizon. Aguire, Cummings, Bradshaw, Dillard...those were some amazing teams. we weren't in a conference, but had yearly rivalry games with UCLA and Notre Dame that were massive back then.

we had season tickets their first couple years when they moved to the Rosemont Horizon. Aguire, Cummings, Bradshaw, Dillard...those were some amazing teams. we weren't in a conference, but had yearly rivalry games with UCLA and Notre Dame that were massive back then.

Yep. They had an awesome schedule because they were Independent.

And dont forget Rod Strickland

They still aren't Texas yet. They may never be.

Still aren't Texas? Honestly, I think they can do much better than that. Texas Tech has already been to a title game. Something Texas has NEVER done. And your team has been to what, 1 FF in the last 70 years? I think Chris Beard will be fine. He might have a drop-off this year, but I'd feel a lot more confident with Beard at the helm than Smart.

Reactions: FiscalKliff
Still aren't Texas? Honestly, I think they can do much better than that. Texas Tech has already been to a title game. Something Texas has NEVER done. And your team has been to what, 1 FF in the last 70 years? I think Chris Beard will be fine. He might have a drop-off this year, but I'd feel a lot more confident with Beard at the helm than Smart.

Players care about the NBA.
Culver allowed Texas Tech to step up their recruiting but it was to the level of Texas.
At the end of the day a player signs with a college program to be developed into a player the NBA desires.
Shaka Smart still has a much better track record of this at Texas plus Texas itself has a much better track record.
Even being average the last two years they have had top 10 NBA draft picks.

Players care about the NBA.
Culver allowed Texas Tech to step up their recruiting but it was to the level of Texas.
At the end of the day a player signs with a college program to be developed into a player the NBA desires.
Shaka Smart still has a much better track record of this at Texas plus Texas itself has a much better track record.
Even being average the last two years they have had top 10 NBA draft picks.

Congrats?

I guess showing posters of all the former Texas players in the NBA will help lure more highly-touted recruits to Austin - only to fall short of expectations, yet again.

Congrats?

I guess showing posters of all the former Texas players in the NBA will help lure more highly-touted recruits to Austin - only to fall short of expectations, yet again.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program.

Winning games has to be used to recruit at a higher level.
Ultimately producing NBA talent trumps winning in the minds of the majority of top tier recruits.
I say this as someone who is around the basketball community here in Houston.

They aren't failing to live up to expectations when the players are going to the NBA
You fail when these players don't develop and highly rated recruits either get into trouble or are forced to play overseas.

Yep. They had an awesome schedule because they were Independent.

And dont forget Rod Strickland

I'll never forget Rocket Rod, but that was a few years down the road. My junior year of high school I blew off school and attended the first weekend of the tournament at the Rosemont Horizon. Saw the best game I've ever seen in person, DePaul and Strickland vs St. Johns and Mark Jackson. Two NYC playground rivals. DePaul was down 3 with a few seconds left and Dallas Comegys on the line. He made the first and then missed the second on purpose, Kevin Edwards got the board and laid it in for the tie. DePaul won in OT. Best game I ever saw.

I'll never forget Rocket Rod, but that was a few years down the road. My junior year of high school I blew off school and attended the first weekend of the tournament at the Rosemont Horizon. Saw the best game I've ever seen in person, DePaul and Strickland vs St. Johns and Mark Jackson. Two NYC playground rivals. DePaul was down 3 with a few seconds left and Dallas Comegys on the line. He made the first and then missed the second on purpose, Kevin Edwards got the board and laid it in for the tie. DePaul won in OT. Best game I ever saw.

That is freaking awesome.

Do you think it hurts that DePaul plays 45 mins from campus?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT