ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul Or St. John's-Who Will Become Great Again First?

DePaul Or St. John's-Who Will Become Great Again First?

• DePaul

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • St. John's

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Both are Catholic universities who have hoops tradition and are in regions that produce great talent. However, both also haven't been powers in years and years.

Is New York even a good basketball state anymore? Scout has 1 five star and no 4 stars this year, and New Jersey only has 3 4 stars. That's nothing compared to the past.

Depaul has been horrible for a long time. Could a good coach keep the great Chicago area players home? I don't know.

Is New York even a good basketball state anymore? Scout has 1 five star and no 4 stars this year, and New Jersey only has 3 4 stars. That's nothing compared to the past.

Without research, it's hard to tell. Most of the top prospects go to prep schools and the recruiting services list their prep school's town as their hometown. I'm sure there are still some good players in the NYC metro area.

That said, recruiting is becoming increasingly more national. I don't think being located in NYC is as big of an advantage as people might think it is. However, playing home games in MSG is pretty cool.

It's just all about the right hire, and then holding the hire. Tough to do in today's landscape.

I know St. John's tried Mullin. I don't follow that program but could Mark Jackson return them to glory? Would he be interested?

If these programs want to just join the win at all costs mindset and throw out morality hire Rick Pitino.

It's just all about the right hire, and then holding the hire. Tough to do in today's landscape.

I know St. John's tried Mullin. I don't follow that program but could Mark Jackson return them to glory? Would he be interested?

If these programs want to just join the win at all costs mindset and throw out morality hire Rick Pitino.

St. John's needs to show some patience. They aren't going to hire a coach and become a power overnight. Look at Mullin, they had more wins every year with him and by year 4 they made the NCAAT and he still got fired. I think Mike Anderson is a decent coach and he's building the team up but they can't just fire a coach every 4 years because they aren't winning the Big East. They have to allow a coach to build his program.

As a Warriors fan. Mark Jackson is the biggest fraud there is. I was elated when he got fired.

St. John's needs to show some patience. They aren't going to hire a coach and become a power overnight. Look at Mullin, they had more wins every year with him and by year 4 they made the NCAAT and he still got fired. I think Mike Anderson is a decent coach and he's building the team up but they can't just fire a coach every 4 years because they aren't winning the Big East. They have to allow a coach to build his program.

Does anybody do that anymore? Not saying I disagree. Anybody that does "really get something rolling" seems to depart also?

Reactions: duckboy33
Does anybody do that anymore? Not saying I disagree. Anybody that does "really get something rolling" seems to depart also?

When is the last time St. John’s had a coach leave for another college job? If someone got things going at St. John’s, I don’t necessarily think they would leave.

You’re right about the lack of patience in college basketball but that’s why you see some programs stuck in neutral

ADVERTISEMENT