ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul Fires Dave Leitao

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Like I said, the current AD came from Kentucky and might well know more about hoops than the previous ADs. I hope they get it right this time around.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
DePaul should seriously consider Jon Scheyer. He's a Chicago native, and an excellent recruiter.

Reactions: duckboy33
DePaul should seriously consider Jon Scheyer. He's a Chicago native, and an excellent recruiter.

there's a difference between being a Chicago native and a suburb of Chicago native when it comes to recruiting the Chicago Public League though.

Other than Brey and Snyder are there any Puke assistants that didn't suck once they got the head job?

Reactions: majestic9
there's a difference between being a Chicago native and a suburb of Chicago native when it comes to recruiting the Chicago Public League though.

Other than Brey and Snyder are there any Puke assistants that didn't suck once they got the head job?

Not really lol. Capel had an Elite 8 run in 2009. Bob Bender had a decent run in 1998 with Washington. Tommy Amaker had a Sweet 16 run with Seton Hall. And he also won in the first round twice with Harvard.

Wojo and Hurley have never won an NCAAT game. But yes, overall, mostly disappointing. I think Capel could have some decent teams if he could stay away from those with character issues. He's had several bad apples at OU and Pitt. You might be right about the suburb-city school aspect. But, having a Duke pedigree has merit. And I think Scheyer has been our best assistant for some time.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
^Actually, I think Hurley won the play-in game in 2019. But, winning a play-in game doesn't mean a whole lot.

Not really lol. Capel had an Elite 8 run in 2009. Bob Bender had a decent run in 1998 with Washington. Tommy Amaker had a Sweet 16 run with Seton Hall. And he also won in the first round twice with Harvard.

Wojo and Hurley have never won an NCAAT game. But yes, overall, mostly disappointing. I think Capel could have some decent teams if he could stay away from those with character issues. He's had several bad apples at OU and Pitt. You might be right about the suburb-city school aspect. But, having a Duke pedigree has merit. And I think Scheyer has been our best assistant for some time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Scheyer despite where he chose to go to school. He's from Northbrook. My office has been in Northbrook since the mid 80's and I grew up in the town next to Northbrook and moved back there last year. Was a huge fan of Scheyer in high school and watched his entire run to the state title his senior year. If he can unlearn all the poor game coaching he learned from Coach K I say we give him a look.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Was a huge fan of Scheyer in high school and watched his entire run to the state title his senior year. If he can unlearn all the poor game coaching he learned from Coach K I say we give him a look.

lol if you say so. K did win two national titles in the past decade, and five overall. He must have done something right.

We're never going to ask Porter Moser. It would be too embarrassing when he turns us down flat for an interview.

lol would be hilarious if the AD didn't ask because of the fear of being turned down.

lol if you say so. K did win two national titles in the past decade, and five overall. He must have done something right.

I can just picture the phone conversation now...

Scheyer: Hi Coach K, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm following your playbook. Every game I just roll the ball out there and tell the players to go out there and get me a win.

Coach K: How many former McDonalds All Americans do you have? 5? 6? 4? Come on, tell me you have at least 4!?!?! How the heck is anyone supposed to win in college if they don't have at least 4!?!!?

Scheyer: Actually I have none. Got a couple guys who were 4 star recruits though.

Coach K: I don't know what that is.

Scheyer: Surely you must have some idea on coaching strategies I can use to help a team that isn't loaded with talent?

Coach K: new phone, who dis?

Scheyer: Hi Coach K, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm following your playbook. Every game I just roll the ball out there and tell the players to go out there and get me a win.

Coach K: How many former McDonalds All Americans do you have? 5? 6? 4? Come on, tell me you have at least 4!?!?! How the heck is anyone supposed to win in college if they don't have at least 4!?!!?

Scheyer: Actually I have none. Got a couple guys who were 4 star recruits though.

Scheyer: Surely you must have some idea on coaching strategies I can use to help a team that isn't loaded with talent?

I completely missed your transition into troll. When did that happen?

lol you really think poorly of Duke, don't you? K is pretty effective in setting up plays after timeouts. He's made plenty of in-game and in-season adjustments (i.e. inserting Duhon in the starting lineup in 2001, or Zoubek in 2010, or Matt Jones in 2015). He's yanked out star-players like Jabari Parker in crunch time when they've stunk it up. We switched primarily to a Syracuse-style zone in the 2018 season when our man-to-man defense was struggling. One example of our scouting report I always liked was the 2010 title game with Butler. Singler was guarding Gordon Hayward, who is right-handed. Most would presume that Hayward prefers to go right. However, the data indicated that Hayward drove left 70% of the time. So, Singler forced him to go right, and he ended up taking a tougher shot because of it. Simply "rolling the ball out" is a funny concept, but it's clearly devoid of reality. Scheyer is sharp. He won a national title himself. He recruits well, and relates well with the recruits.

I understand there's the perception that Duke should overpower everyone with allegedly superior talent. Obviously, it's a huge bonus if you can have a roster full of top 25/50 guys. But, they're not inherently better than 3rd or 4th year players. Mark Williams is a prime example. Highly regarded recruit who really struggled in the first half of the season. He had trouble catching the ball, he fouled too often, and he looked lost on the court. If you saw him during the ACC Tournament, you would have thought he was a 1st Team All-Conference selection. There are plenty of coaches that yield little to no results with superior talent (i.e. UNLV in the past decade and Texas for several years).

lol you really think poorly of Duke, don't you? K is pretty effective in setting up plays after timeouts. He's made plenty of in-game and in-season adjustments (i.e. inserting Duhon in the starting lineup in 2001, or Zoubek in 2010, or Matt Jones in 2015). He's yanked out star-players like Jabari Parker in crunch time when they've stunk it up. We switched primarily to a Syracuse-style zone in the 2018 season when our man-to-man defense was struggling. One example of our scouting report I always liked was the 2010 title game with Butler. Singler was guarding Gordon Hayward, who is right-handed. Most would presume that Hayward prefers to go right. However, the data indicated that Hayward drove left 70% of the time. So, Singler forced him to go right, and he ended up taking a tougher shot because of it. Simply "rolling the ball out" is a funny concept, but it's clearly devoid of reality. Scheyer is sharp. He won a national title himself. He recruits well, and relates well with the recruits.

I understand there's the perception that Duke should overpower everyone with allegedly superior talent. Obviously, it's a huge bonus if you can have a roster full of top 25/50 guys. But, they're not inherently better than 3rd or 4th year players. Mark Williams is a prime example. Highly regarded recruit who really struggled in the first half of the season. He had trouble catching the ball, he fouled too often, and he looked lost on the court. If you saw him during the ACC Tournament, you would have thought he was a 1st Team All-Conference selection. There are plenty of coaches that yield little to no results with superior talent (i.e. UNLV in the past decade and Texas for several years).

yes, yes I do. :cool:

Very ironic because when I was a young diehard CBB fan in the 80s and 90s my favorite teams were DePaul, Indiana, LSU and Duke. Was a huge Duke and Coach K fan because of his Chicago and Bobby Knight connections. Was a diehard during the Laettner era. Then it all turned for me when they lost to UCONN in the title game. I was offended by Coach K's effort in that game and what I was starting to see as his tremendous ego and arrogance.

Been anti Coach K and anti Duke ever since.

Very ironic because when I was a young diehard CBB fan in the 80s and 90s my favorite teams were DePaul, Indiana, LSU and Duke. Was a huge Duke and Coach K fan because of his Chicago and Bobby Knight connections. Was a diehard during the Laettner era. Then it all turned for me when they lost to UCONN in the title game. I was offended by Coach K's effort in that game and what I was starting to see as his tremendous ego and arrogance.

Should have given the ball more to Elton Brand. Seemed like he didn't have a shot in the final 5-7 minutes. Curious, what exactly disgusted you about how he coached the title game in 99? That was my biggest critique, without question.

Jake Voskuhl kind of looks like Tom Brady. Obviously the GOAT reincarnated won't lose a championship in basketball, either.

359377641a4ff3baf616874dde725ec5.jpg

DePaul lol

Still haven't recovered from the ass whupping DePaul gave Iowa last season? 93-78 AT Iowa. And it wasn't even that close, we got bored and let you shave a few points off the lead at the end.

BTW, all time series.....DePaul 2, Iowa 1. Last time Iowa beat DePaul was 1995.

Never heard of him, but at this point I don't consider that a bad thing. I'd rather go with some unknown young guy than a middle of the road coach who's bounced around with not much success. With the young guy there's always a chance you catch lightning in a bottle and find the next great young coach.

Never heard of him, but at this point I don't consider that a bad thing. I'd rather go with some unknown young guy than a middle of the road coach who's bounced around with not much success. With the young guy there's always a chance you catch lightning in a bottle and find the next great young coach.

I had never heard of Tony Bennett before we hired him.

He's been an assistant at Oregon for the last 11 seasons. He was a big time recruiter but also a big part of the game plans. Everyone in the basketball program has great things to say about coach Stubs.

It's a whole different ball game when you're running the show but I could see Stubbs having some success at DePaul. I'll be rooting for him

He's been an assistant at Oregon for the last 11 seasons. He was a big time recruiter but also a big part of the game plans. Everyone in the basketball program has great things to say about coach Stubs.

It's a whole different ball game when you're running the show but I could see Stubbs having some success at DePaul. I'll be rooting for him

Not once did I root for Leitao to have success at DePaul despite him coaching at UVA lol

Thanks @duckboy33. He sounds like exactly the kind of guy I'm happy to take a chance on.

ADVERTISEMENT