ADVERTISEMENT

Declaration: Scott Drew can coach

gobears220

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2006
Team
Baylor
It’s been a gag for years that he can’t coach, but this year (and last year) proves he can indeed coach.

Just from last night: they absolutely abused Timme on both sides. When Baylor had the ball, they ran ball screens to get him matched up on a guard, and the guards absolutely abused him. That was the game plan and it was perfect. They also swatted at him defensively and the quick hands forced so many turnovers. So many were saying Baylor couldn’t control Timme, but they exposed him on both ends.

Baylor was slowed by the zone for a short while, then you noticed Teague hit the soft spot as the teams best mid range threat and was lethal in that spot. Once Drew made that adjustment it was done.

Baylor took care of the ball to limit the strength of Gonzaga running up the floor. They limited turnovers. Gonzaga on the other hand were harassed by the physicality and speed of Baylor and turned it over at a much higher than average clip. Also Baylor crashed the offensive boards and had 18 more shot attempts because of rebounding and turnovers.

No McDonalds all Americans. Less big time recruits. Just a coaching masterpiece and a natty for Scott Drew.

Reactions: bignish
Yeah he surely can, this is a well deserved title for Scott Drew. I remember he choked 3 straight years from 2015 to 2017 and at that point I started to write him off as a choke artist and I remained as a doubter to his coaching skills until he made it to final 4 this year. Gotta give credits where its due, Drew has proved himself during this marvelous title run and shattered all the suspicions about him as a coach.

They became a different program overnight when he stole the no-middle defense and scrapped the zone.

Will be interesting to see if they can be a perennial power. Even though there weren't a lot of heralded recruits on this roster, it was still a pretty rare group of talent/experience that won't be easy to duplicate.

I bet they’re back in final four inside 3 years. Maybe next year. Will depend on how the two 5* recruits fit in.

flagler
LJ Cryer
Kendall (5* wing coming in)
mayer
Thamba

Bench

tchaeawa
Dain Dainja
other 5* kid Langston love or something
Loveday
Other recruit

I bet they’re back in final four inside 3 years. Maybe next year. Will depend on how the two 5* recruits fit in.

flagler
LJ Cryer
Kendall (5* wing coming in)
mayer
Thamba

Bench

tchaeawa
Dain Dainja
other 5* kid Langston love or something
Loveday
Other recruit
Let’s be real it’s very unlikely that Baylor is in the Final 4 again next decade.

Mark Vital is that tough as nails senior guy and the guard combo of Butler/Mitchell/Teague is almost impossible to replace.

Scott Drew will keep Baylor relevant though, I expect them to make the tournament going forward more years than not.

Let’s be real it’s very unlikely that Baylor is in the Final 4 again next decade.

Mark Vital is that tough as nails senior guy and the guard combo of Butler/Mitchell/Teague is almost impossible to replace.

Scott Drew will keep Baylor relevant though, I expect them to make the tournament going forward more years than not.

This. Drew struck gold on finding 4 players as good as Butler/Teague/Mitchell/Vital together at the same time and more importantly stay together, grow together, and none of them go pro after breaking out. Many times to win a championship that’s what it takes. Going to be hard to find that nucleus that grows together like that especially with Drew focusing more on those top 50 guys again who focus so much on just getting to the league as fast as possible.

I’ve also never been on the Drew can’t coach bandwagon. His best asset has always been a really good talent evaluator. I felt he was a good coach with an awful defensive scheme (the zone defense) that good teams exploited. Once he scrapped that 4-5 years ago he took that next step forward as a coach. Now to put him in that great stratosphere I need to see him continue to build off this championship and be a perennial Final 4 contender.

2010 and 2012 those Lace Dunn and tweety Carter teams they lost only to the national champ both times in the elite 8.
He had good teams all over the last decade just got bounced early a couple times. Couple sweet 16’s mid 2010’s ....
He’ll be there again in FF very soon trust me. He finally has the right model to hang a natty .

I used to give the guy as much shit as anybody, but he can win games and built a program out of whatever is worse than ashes and rubble.

Sure, he is a great program builder that has done an amazing job at Baylor. The fact there was even "Scott Drew haters" shows how good of a job he has done. Baylor isn't Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, etc. . . The only reason they "choked" in the NCAA tournament was because Drew had built a great program where they were getting good seeds and had high expectations. That alone is an incredible thing.

Reactions: jhmossy
He backed off the top 30 guys for a while and look at him now.

Of course now he has two top 30 guys for 2022 coming in lol.

ADVERTISEMENT