ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley to Uconn

mebeblue2

Dec 20, 2009
not the sexiest hire but given where Uconn is at right now, this hire is a major upgrade
IMHO, they should have went after Pitino

i doubt Uconn ever reaches anything close to the success they had with Calhoun

Danny, has had Rhode Island as a good team. With the Uconn name it will help him recruit at an even higher level. Good hire.

it is very very hard to replace a Calhoun
IU has hired some good coaches but never really found any coach close to Knight
at UK we went through two coaches before we got Cal

top coaches are hard to replace

Reactions: Erock-conn
not the sexiest hire but given where Uconn is at right now, this hire is a major upgrade
IMHO, they should have went after Pitino

i doubt Uconn ever reaches anything close to the success they had with Calhoun

Offers must not be pouring in for Pitino. I got word that he interviewed with Western Carolina recently. Not sure there are any big-time programs that are willing to touch him.

Edit: I wonder if Pitt would consider hiring Pitino? Sure he comes with baggage, but if anyone can turn the program around semi-quickly, surely Rick can do it?

Last edited:
Offers must not be pouring in for Pitino. I got word that he interviewed with Western Carolina recently. Not sure there are any big-time programs that are willing to touch him.

Edit: I wonder if Pitt would consider hiring Pitino? Sure he comes with baggage, but if anyone can turn the program around semi-quickly, surely Rick can do it?

the thing about Pitino is i don't think he is going to get hit with a show-cause penalty
i do think had Uconn hired him for 5 years or so he would have put them back on the national map of CBB
i don't think Hurley can do that quickly

Reactions: dukedevilz
it is very very hard to replace a Calhoun
IU has hired some good coaches but never really found any coach close to Knight
at UK we went through two coaches before we got Cal

top coaches are hard to replace
no doubt. As an MSU fan I've had to listen to many ledge jumping MSU fans bitch about Izzo. That man will be more respected after he retires than during his tenure as a coach. People don't know how good they have it until it is gone. Human nature.

without doing any research, I'm pretty sure Rhode Island was a dumpster fire when Hurley took over. Now they're a 7 seed, he should do well at UConn but it won't be overnight.

Aac is killing uconn with the help of bad coaching. Hurley name is huge in the tri state and new england areas. His father is a legend .

Aac is killing uconn with the help of bad coaching. Hurley name is huge in the tri state and new england areas. His father is a legend .

i do not think Uconn's problems are the league they play in (maybe a very small percent)
the AAC has not hurt Cincinnati, Houston, WSU or even Memphis
no matter what league you are in, if you are good then you are good, if you are bad then you are bad

i do think it was hiring a bad coach that was not ready and maybe will never have what it takes to be a high level D1 coach

Reactions: rdgtr
i do not think Uconn's problems are the league they play in (maybe a very small percent)
no matter what league you are in, if you are good then you are good, if you are bad then you are bad

i do think it was hiring a bad coach that was not ready and maybe will never have what it takes to be a high level D1 coach

Ollie needed 200 wins at a mid major

Reactions: KisteK
no matter what league you are in, if you are good then you are good …

The league hasn't really hurt yet, but it will eventually. The discrepancy between the haves and have nots as sky rocketed in the last year or so with the new media contracts. Heck, even some assistant football coaches in the SEC are making $ 1 mill +. As more conference money bleeds into the basketball programs of the power five, funding better assistant coaches, facilities, ect., that will have a tangible result on the court. More at large bids will go to the power five. It will be harder for a BE or AAC team to make the tournament who doesn't win their conference. That's the future.

Consider the numbers and you can't reach any other conclusion. An SEC school, for example, gets about 45 million from the conference, not even counting the bowl money. A BE school gets about 4.25 million -- that about 10%. The AAC get what? About 3 million. It will be interesting to see what the new numbers are for the AAC when they negotiate a new contract for circa 2020, but those discrepancies will mean something.

UCONN did what they had to do, but their conference affiliation is still a ball and chain. There's always been an arms race in college athletics, but that arm's race is about to explode, funded by all this new conference money. I question whether the AAC schools (and BE) can keep up.

The league hasn't really hurt yet, but it will eventually. The discrepancy between the haves and have nots as sky rocketed in the last year or so with the new media contracts. Heck, even some assistant football coaches in the SEC are making $ 1 mill +. As more conference money bleeds into the basketball programs of the power five, funding better assistant coaches, facilities, ect., that will have a tangible result on the court. More at large bids will go to the power five. It will be harder for a BE or AAC team to make the tournament who doesn't win their conference. That's the future.

Consider the numbers and you can't reach any other conclusion. An SEC school, for example, gets about 45 million from the conference, not even counting the bowl money. A BE school gets about 4.25 million -- that about 10%. The AAC get what? About 3 million. It will be interesting to see what the new numbers are for the AAC when they negotiate a new contract for circa 2020, but those discrepancies will mean something.

UCONN did what they had to do, but their conference affiliation is still a ball and chain. There's always been an arms race in college athletics, but that arm's race is about to explode, funded by all this new conference money. I question whether the AAC schools (and BE) can keep up.

Its been trending this way for decades and it hasnt stopped the basketball only schools from competing on the court. The conference affiliation wont hurt UConn if they have a good coach. All of the money in the world cant prevent a bad coach from failing and all of the perceived roadblocks cant prevent a great coach from succeeding. At the end of the day college basketball is about a coach and his ability to recruit and train 17-22 year olds. The kids who are doing the legwork care about so many more factors than who has the neatest practice facility. Academics, geography, campus life, where their friends are going, relationship with the coach, will the coach stay for their 4 years, all major factors beyond how much a school gets from its conference TV contract.

I am happy with the Hurley signing. Done well at school he coached and has strong recruiting connections

I think this is a very good hire. Probably the best they could have hoped for. It may take him a few years but I expect that he'll right that ship.

ADVERTISEMENT