ADVERTISEMENT

Dance seeding- where does your team belong?

mikeinknoxville

Jan 28, 2009
Team
Tennessee
Tennessee was flirting with a one earlier, now looks like a solid 2 seed.

The games against Texas and Bama could pull us back into the conversation or drop us back.

Where does your school land?

The games against Texas and Bama could pull us back into the conversation or drop us back.

What has UT done recently to be dropped to a 2? They beat UGA by 1000 yesterday.

Oh and Bama gets a 1 seed.

Reactions: mikeinknoxville

66a12a24-6f4b-43cc-8251-47384ac29e71_2.173203c039099d80fa04cecfa8316556.png

You're going to have to entice some of these posters to share on this subject. Here is some Morning Munch Crunch! Good luck

#1 overall seed. But definitely a tenuous hold.

If we can hold it....

1st and 2nd rounds in Columbus (100 miles from the house). Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in Louisville (100 miles from the house). God willing, Final Four in Houston (Don't care how far it is...I'll be there).

I think UVA is probably a 3-4 when it's all said and done. I just don't think we'll be able to rack up enough Quad 1 wins to be a better seed. Just hoping we can avoid the 4-5 line.

Everytime I look at seed projections, my thought is, "Really! They think we're that good!?" A few weeks ago we were projected as a 4 seed. Last week, a 5 seed. Now, bracket matrix has us as a 6 seed. Starting to get more realistic. The freshmen are getting a little better, but still hard to see this team being better than a 6 seed. We could definitely stumble into an 8, 9, or 10 seed.

You Have KU, UT, and Auburn. You also have the SECT. Do wins in the SECT count or is it a done deal by then?

We also have Ark twice and Florida on the road is a Q1 I'm pretty sure. If UK is still a bubble team come SECT time I would hope wins there would help.

UK needs to take care of business from here on out. That South Carolina loss really hurt our resume. If UK would've won that game we'd probably be looking at a 7 or 8 seed and not being on the bubble.

Really hope we can take care of KU this weekend. If so our guys might be in the midst of a long winning streak, which we need.

We also have Ark twice and Florida on the road is a Q1 I'm pretty sure. If UK is still a bubble team come SECT time I would hope wins there would help.

UK needs to take care of business from here on out. That South Carolina loss really hurt our resume. If UK would've won that game we'd probably be looking at a 7 or 8 seed and not being on the bubble.

Really hope we can take care of KU this weekend. If so our guys might be in the midst of a long winning streak, which we need.
The conference tourneys' should count. I don't think they helped us last year, though. I'll bet you're crazy excited about KU. I know I'm looking forward to Texas. Those are milestone games.

Maybe my favorite site out there right now. As of now, you have 6 Q1 games remaining in the regular season (tho that could flux).

You Have KU, UT, and Auburn. You also have the SECT. Do wins in the SECT count or is it a done deal by then?
One win sometimes even two wins do very little to impress the committee. If I was in the "first four out" I'd want three wins and then I'd pray.

No matter what happens from here on out… it would not shock me at all if Pitt and PSU just magically get sent to Dayton whether they deserve it or not for some Rivalry BS.

If it did happen… would change my entire flight to Vegas around to be there

What has UT done recently to be dropped to a 2? They beat UGA by 1000 yesterday.

Oh and Bama gets a 1 seed.
I think the loss at home to UK probably knocked us back to a 2 but we have rebounded well since against good but not great teams. My thinking is that the tests ahead will tell whether we deserve a 1

Reactions: cdbearde and frazor
One win sometimes even two wins do very little to impress the committee. If I was in the "first four out" I'd want three wins and then I'd pray.

Seems like bad losses in a conference tourney hurt more than a good win helps. Sometimes the best part of winning 1-2 games is that you just avoid a bad loss.

ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI

I honestly can't say at this point, haha ... it's been such a bizarre year. We have two exceptional wins on neutral courts (UCLA and Texas) and no "bad losses" as far as the Committee is concerned (i.e., Quad 3 or worse), but we have just been SO up and down. When I actually look at our resume, it's even harder to figure out, but I do think the bracketologists putting us down at the 8-seed line aren't really digging into it enough. I would say maybe a 6 or 7?

Record: 14-6
NET Ranking: #28
SOS Ranking: #29
vs. Quad 1: 3-4
vs. Quad 2: 3-2
vs. Quad 3: 2-0
vs. Quad 4: 6-0
Quad 1 Wins (Using NET #s)
- vs. #5 UCLA (Las Vegas, NV)
- vs. #8 Texas (New York, NY)
- vs. #27 Ohio State ... how are they still this high?!

Regardless of where we are now, we will really play into our seed the rest of the season. Assuming we can do basic shit like beat Nebraska and Minnesota at home, the following are all opportunities for Quad 1 wins:

at #70 Wisconsin ... already beat 'em once!
at #41 Iowa ... tough one, but we have had their number for several years now.
vs. #20 Rutgers ... RU is really good, but at least it's not at the RAC!
at #60 Penn State ... randomly stomped us in Champaign, so not confident.
at #21 Indiana ... see above. :(
at #27 Ohio State ... see thing about already beating them once!
at #4 Purdue ... we got nothin' for Edey, chalk it up as an L.

So, a very wide range is possible.

The first couple rounds are taken into account, but I think they have everything figured out before some of the tourneys end.

#1s
Purdue
Bama
Ucla
Houston

2s
Tenn
Ku
Iowa St
Zona

3s
Texas
Virginia
K st
Xavier

4s
Baylor
Gonzaga
Marquette
Rutgers

The first couple rounds are taken into account, but I think they have everything figured out before some of the tourneys end.

#1s
Purdue
Bama
Ucla
Houston

2s
Tenn
Ku
Iowa St
Zona

3s
Texas
Virginia
K st
Xavier

4s
Baylor
Gonzaga
Marquette
Rutgers
I'd put Tennessee on the #1 line at this point in time.

I don't think Tennessee is ahead of bama right now, and the SEC isn't getting 2 #1s
I think it goes more by ranking than conference. Tennessee is higher ranked than bama on Kenpom and bama is higher ranked on AP, but both are top 4 in both.

The first couple rounds are taken into account, but I think they have everything figured out before some of the tourneys end...
I am not sure about the conference tournaments that end on Saturday or earlier on Sunday, but I have seen before that it's relatively common knowledge that the Big Ten Tournament final is literally not considered by the Committee at all. 😂 If you were a 4-seed before the game, you are a 4-seed after - win or lose. If the team otherwise wouldn't make the NCAAs, they'll pencil in a spot for them and boot a Bubble team out if they win.

A lot of Big Ten fans are really annoyed by this and just the general setup of when our conference tournament championship game is played, possibly even giving our teams less rest before March Madness. However, they'll never move it because it is an absolute TV ratings goldmine right before the Selection Show, with the BTT Championship Game often being the highest viewed "regular season" game of the year (I know it at least was in 2020-21, I cannot remember about last year).

I gotta say it's pretty good to be arguing between a 1 and 2 seed.

Coach Barnes has built us into a contender. Can we win 6 in March against top teams?

I think it goes more by ranking than conference. Tennessee is higher ranked than bama on Kenpom and bama is higher ranked on AP, but both are top 4 in both.
Check out the ncaa net rankings. That ranking, that is what the ncaa primarily uses. Maybe the others for exceptions.

Since the SEC plays their final on Sunday, that rarely if ever makes any difference in selection Sunday.

Check out the ncaa net rankings. That ranking, that is what the ncaa primarily uses. Maybe the others for exceptions.

Since the SEC plays their final on Sunday, that rarely if ever makes any difference in selection Sunday.
Vols are #2 in net rankings at the moment.

Tennessee’s biggest issue right now when it comes to a 1 seed is the lack of Quad 1 wins. Right now they have fewer than 8 of the other 9 teams in the top 10 in NET. Only team in the top 10 with fewer Q1 wins is St. Mary’s.

Tennessee’s biggest issue right now when it comes to a 1 seed is the lack of Quad 1 wins. Right now they have fewer than 8 of the other 9 teams in the top 10 in NET. Only team in the top 10 with fewer Q1 wins is St. Mary’s.
UT has the ranking, both human and computer everything else will work itself out if UT continues to win. Just like everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT