ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dantoni playing chess while everyone else plays checkers?

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-marshall-new-cinderella-favorite/414364002/

DX-nfSGVAAATUZY

Uhhh... K figured that out years and years ago. He literally discussed points per possession when you take twos vs threes like twenty years ago.

This is the dude that EVERY media member was laughing about being hired like 3/4 years ago. Oops.

Reactions: speedfrk and Mgkcbb
Love Dan. His post game against Illinois was the only opposing coach I've ever enjoyed listening to in that setting.

He sure has a funny way of showing it considering Duke is 230th out of 350 in % of shots taken from 3 point range lol

http://hoop-math.com/leader_o2018.php

I really think you should look at these numbers over the course of decades, and not just this year. It’s the worst kept secret in the world that K likes to run a 4 out, 1 in offense.

K is adjusting to the players that he has this year.

I have a hard time believing that Marshall is in any way ahead of the game. They needed a world of luck yesterday. Their guard was literally jacking up the WORST shots you could take from distance. A ton of heat-check variety 28-30 footers.

That’s not due to some coach being ahead of the game lol.

I have a hard time believing that Marshall is in any way ahead of the game. They needed a world of luck yesterday. Their guard was literally jacking up the WORST shots you could take from distance. A ton of heat-check variety 28-30 footers.

That’s not due to some coach being ahead of the game lol.

Yes, his ‘chess moves’ look great when the shots are falling.

OTOH, his ‘chess’ netted 6 losses in a one-bid league.

Reactions: Jayhawkai
I mean we used to be a volume 3 team and we never earned higher than a 6 seed. Since D and rebounding became our staple we have been a much better program. Both good ways to win.

I mean we used to be a volume 3 team and we never earned higher than a 6 seed. Since D and rebounding became our staple we have been a much better program. Both good ways to win.
Puts in perspective a coach who can win a P5 conference title running his O thru the nation’s FG % leader and then win the conference tournament without him.

Puts in perspective a coach who can win a P5 conference title running his O thru the nation’s FG % leader and then win the conference tournament without him.

Kansas won the big12 tournament jacking a ton of 3s off dribble penetration. Their offense was basically unguardable doing exactly what Dantoni described here.

Kansas won the big12 tournament jacking a ton of 3s off dribble penetration. Their offense was basically unguardable doing exactly what Dantoni described here.
Yep. Amazingly versatile, isn’t he?

This isn’t the NBA. In CBB, those analytics vary considerably from team to team based on personnel.

A corner 3 is not your best shot, if you have no good shooters.

A post-up is not your worst option if you have a 7-footer shooting 70%.

What's easier to recruit, a dominant 7-footer or some good 3 point shooters? Especially if you're marshall

Reactions: Mgkcbb
What's easier to recruit, a dominant 7-footer or some good 3 point shooters? Especially if you're marshall
That’s a different argument. He was talking in absolutes, as if all rosters are roughly equal.

The answer to the reporter’s question, ‘should you go inside more?, is not a discussion about NBA analytics, but about his personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT