ADVERTISEMENT

Covid: Your Town

Jul 6, 2007
What are things like around you? It almost seems like their was a collective conscience here this weekend that the community has had enough. I live in a nice town in the middle of Illinois. Suburb of Peoria. And, it seems like nearly all the communities (speaking w other friends in neighboring towns) are moving on w normalcy. I’ve had my kids on lockdown for over 7 weeks, and have come to the conclusion that we are pissing in the ocean when so many people have been out running about. So, I called a lot of neighbors yesterday to tell them my boys are back, and all of em (7-8 families) said their kids are also being released (or already have been) back to the wild. I’m cautiously optimistic. However, I was more over the fact that we were doing our part when so many weren’t. In addition, my folks, who live a mile away have been telling me for weeks, “Let them kids play.”

How is it where you live?

Last edited:
I think Louisville has had enough of the restrictions at this point. I will see maybe half the people out in public wearing masks, but my friends are starting to have people over again and things.

I met this chick on tinder and we actually planned to get some take out food and go to a park to eat instead of a restaurant. Not having Derby this weekend really made the city kind of depressing to be around. I think everyone here is basically over it and ready to get back to normal life, sickness or not.

Other than the fact that I can't go to bars or restaurants nothing about my life changed much since this whole lockdown. I'm still going to work everyday, my wife is still working, we have friends over on weekends or go to their house. It's a bit boring and all of the baseball leagues have been cancelled which sucks.

Reactions: 829305
Other than the fact that I can't go to bars or restaurants nothing about my life changed much since this whole lockdown. I'm still going to work everyday, my wife is still working, we have friends over on weekends or go to their house. It's a bit boring and all of the baseball leagues have been cancelled which sucks.
I coach my eldest’s 10u travel team. We are starting up paired practice w pitching coach/pitcher/catcher tonight. Also considering doing some small group (4-5 player) practices. Hoping to play games in June and July. We’ll see.

Reactions: tw3301
I live in a city of 50K. My wife is a realtor and basically stays home with our two young boys. I've made every conscious effort to take precautions here at the clinic. She does click list at the grocery store and I go to Sams/Lowes/Dillons/Target if we need something. But it started seeming pointless for them to do an awesome job to 'self quarantine when im seeing 80-120 different people every week. I take precautions at work, but who knows. Two weeks back we finally had people over for dinner and beers on our patio/dock outside. This week we did it again. Ill still take reasonable measures to be smart but I dont wear a mask into lowes or anywhere else----except at sams on sunday mornings---they set aside 2 hours every sunday morning for docs/nurses/first responders and give us masks and gloves.

We have a pond and pool and 3 acres so we are def lucky----plenty of outdoor stuff right in our own yard. Moving forward we plan to live life as usual as public guidelines allow. Most things open back up today---in two more weeks the 2nd phase hits where gyms and saloons can re-open--% of capacity. Can't wait until little leagues open up and kids can return to normal activities, business can create revenue, and people can count on a steady pay check.

Reactions: KisteK and 829305
I coach my eldest’s 10u travel team. We are starting up paired practice w pitching coach/pitcher/catcher tonight. Also considering doing some small group (4-5 player) practices. Hoping to play games in June and July. We’ll see.
The problem we have with that is it takes up your entire summer and leads into football (assuming we have football) and a lot of parents aren't willing to do that.

The problem we have with that is it takes up your entire summer and leads into football (assuming we have football) and a lot of parents aren't willing to do that.
Baseball is generally April-early July here. Try to finish by July 4th weekend. Then, football kicks off the last week of July. This year it’s going to get crowded as my 7yo’s team plans to play into August. IF we get to play.

Baseball is generally April-early July here. Try to finish by July 4th weekend. Then, football kicks off the last week of July. This year it’s going to get crowded as my 7yo’s team plans to play into August. IF we get to play.
Yeah that's what the guy running our league said, play into August. I said no thanks.

If the heat kills Covid then it’s all dead here. The last 3 days have hit triple digits. This summer is gonna suck with or without the pandemic.

How many games a week typically in baseball for a 7 year old @829305 @tw3301

I love sports. I really loved playing sports as a kid. I was pretty good at them. I just don’t think I could ever get on board with the 40+ game schedules that last all summer and cause you to travel around. Atleast I cant get on board with that until the kid is in their teens or close to high school. It seems like it’s that way in baseball, basketball and soccer now. I’ve heard that local leagues where teams are made up of your friends from school are pretty much gone now. Is that true?

Reactions: toonces11
everyone still taking it very seriously in my suburb of Chicago. Parks are open to walk around in, but that's it. No groups playing together. Only family members. I played golf yesterday with a friend as courses just opened. Walking only and only two-somes. Saturday I had my parents and my brother and his family over for lunch and playing in the park, but we're all exposed to each other anyway since we work together.

Spoke to two clients last week who live in Chicago. One lost 6 relatives in the same week to COVID. The other lost 2 of her sisters and 2 lifelong friends.

masks are mandatory here now, but I'm only wearing mine when I go into stores or public buildings. Not wearing them on walks or playing golf yesterday.

I still go to the office, but it's a ghost town here. All our staff is at home and the building is pretty empty in general.

Reactions: Jaycg15 and KisteK
If the heat kills Covid then it’s all dead here. The last 3 days have hit triple digits. This summer is gonna suck with or without the pandemic.

I love sports. I really loved playing sports as a kid. I was pretty good at them. I just don’t think I could ever get on board with the 40+ game schedules that last all summer and cause you to travel around. Atleast I cant get on board with that until the kid is in their teens or close to high school. It seems like it’s that way in baseball, basketball and soccer now. I’ve heard that local leagues where teams are made up of your friends from school are pretty much gone now. Is that true?

The answer to the how many games question is easy to answer, which is, “How many games does your kid want to play?” My youngest will play all day. There aren’t enough. He’ll play 30+ baseball games, and more than half the kids on his team will be burnt out. He won’t though, so not my problem. We only leave the area one time, and it’s more for the parents to get drunk and hang together than anything else. My 10yo team plays about 40-45. We are not great, but we have fun. In my town of over 15,000 there are three baseball travel programs, two for softball. If you want to play for an elite team, there are those options too, and now you’re talking 100 games.

Also, this is the first year they have a 7u team. It had always been 8u and there are not other 7u teams in the surrounding area that I’m aware of. We will play almost al 8u teams other than when we leave the area one time. Saying that, over 35 kids came to the 7u tryout. They even created a B-team they had so many. Putting your kid on the 7u B-team seems awfully desperate though.

Edit: Forgot to answer. All of our teams and programs only use local kids.

I am dreading my kid getting into a sport like baseball or soccer. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just not a fan. I would hate to spend my summers watching my son play a sport that I couldn't give a crap about. Now basketball or football, we are getting somewhere.

Reactions: TheDude1
I think it depends on the size of the city you live in. Plus I think the weather getting nice has people getting restless and stir crazy...creating their own timeline. It’s being taken with the same amount of seriousness here in the Bay Area, similar to what @WeAreDePaul said with Chi Town. I wear a mask at the grocery and go outside to run or walk in the park. Aside from that, I’m not in any hurry as I see a second wave of this thing coming.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
My county has like 220,000 people and we've had 148 cases I think. This week we are loosening restrictions, though tbh places like Lowe's and Wal-Mart have been packed for weeks. I've been doing the grocery pick up thing and definitely have not gone nearly as many places as I used to. Mainly just ready to start golfing regularly again.

Golfed and cooked out Saturday.

Since COVID numbers aren’t as bad as predicted, things should start opening up with precautions pretty soon around here IMO.

Yeah I can't stand the way little league has been dismissed at such an early age. My kid is 8 and I'm not letting him do traveling team baseball until he is at least 12 but my best friend put his kid in 7U and they play at least 4 games per week, usually 6 because of weekend double headers. It's crazy IMO but little league is so bad that I understand why people are doing this. Basically paying $800/year so your kids can play competition at the level I played in little league 25-30 years ago.

The answer to the how many games question is easy to answer, which is, “How many games does your kid want to play?” My youngest will play all day. There aren’t enough. He’ll play 30+ baseball games, and more than half the kids on his team will be burnt out. He won’t though, so not my problem. We only leave the area one time, and it’s more for the parents to get drunk and hang together than anything else. My 10yo team plays about 40-45. We are not great, but we have fun. In my town of over 15,000 there are three baseball travel programs, two for softball. If you want to play for an elite team, there are those options too, and now you’re talking 100 games.

Also, this is the first year they have a 7u team. It had always been 8u and there are not other 7u teams in the surrounding area that I’m aware of. We will play almost al 8u teams other than when we leave the area one time. Saying that, over 35 kids came to the 7u tryout. They even created a B-team they had so many. Putting your kid on the 7u B-team seems awfully desperate though.

Edit: Forgot to answer. All of our teams and programs only use local kids.
We have 6U traveling teams in southwestern Ohio. Say that out loud, 6U. It's insane.

Reactions: 829305
I am dreading my kid getting into a sport like baseball or soccer. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just not a fan. I would hate to spend my summers watching my son play a sport that I couldn't give a crap about. Now basketball or football, we are getting somewhere.
I like baseball best, because it’s outside. Football, too. Dimly lit gyms get old real quick.

And soccer, who plays that? Trying to get my boys laid in high school. Winking

Reactions: JimboBBN
Yeah I can't stand the way little league has been dismissed at such an early age. My kid is 8 and I'm not letting him do traveling team baseball until he is at least 12 but my best friend put his kid in 7U and they play at least 4 games per week, usually 6 because of weekend double headers. It's crazy IMO but little league is so bad that I understand why people are doing this. Basically paying $800/year so your kids can play competition at the level I played in little league 25-30 years ago.
$350 here. And, yes. The in-house league is garbage.

I like baseball best, because it’s outside. Football, too. Dimly lit gyms get old real quick.

And soccer, who plays that? Trying
to get my boys laid in high school. Winking

ha! If not into soccer, get them into Lacrosse!!

Wait why did your little leagues get so bad?

Our LL isn't near that much. My boy was in juniors last year at 14 and their AS team came one game away from winning state. The team they beat to get to the final was the Goodlettsville team that is always so good from here and has gone to the WS a number of times. They were a bunch of assholes. Parents and coaches and kids. All terrible people to interact with, deal with, and compete against. So glad we beat them, lol. So this year is their last chance and they have a good shot at it I think. Travel ball is what is so expensive around here but we don't do that mess. Just school, LL, and the AS stuff.

where I live there were 2 meat packing companies that had over 150 cases each and we sit in the middle 30 miles apart in directions, kinda hard to figure out what to do and not do.

Reactions: KisteK
We have 6U traveling teams in southwestern Ohio. Say that out loud, 6U. It's insane.
A longtime friend of mine started an organization called, "HomeRun Baseball", about 8 years ago, or so. I call some games here and there for him when time permits. Anyways...last summer he asked me if I would ind doing some 7U/8U, coach pitch games..Sure.

Those parents are ****ing idiots.

Reactions: tw3301 and 829305
I recently moved to Clarksville, IN...But on the outskirts. Town has about 21,000. EVerything such as bars, rest, etc, etc...are still closed; except for carryout of course. I am starting to see more and more people out and about. Seems though more are wearing mask to the stores, i.e. Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc, etc..Aside from not having baseball, nothing has really changed for us. We pretty much stay at home anyways. With the cancelling of baseball though, it has allowed me more time on the lake. I went Saturday, and my buddy and I caught around 50 bluegill/red ear. Nice day on the lake.

Why though
Good question. Maybe our leagues weren’t as good as we thought when we were kids? When I was a kid our league would put together an all-star team from the league teams and we’d go play other all-star teams. So, there was travel but it was just a tournament or two at the end of the season as far as I remember.

Reactions: tw3301
Good question. Maybe our leagues weren’t as good as we thought when we were kids? When I was a kid our league would put together an all-star team from the league teams and we’d go play other all-star teams. So, there was travel but it was just a tournament or two at the end of the season as far as I remember.

Same

Our league is in the country and so there aren't many teams. However, there is some talent and so our AS teams are generally pretty good. It is just we have to find other leagues to compete against during the season because at some ages there are only a couple of teams in the league. So that is our travel ball, the All-Star tournaments. So I guess it just depends on where you are at.

There are certainly still travel teams. Hell, a couple of years ago when he was like 12 we played this team where all of them looked older than me. I saw a guy a few days later who played in the minors for a bit and coached and asked him about them and he was like, 'Umm, yeah, it cost like $10,000 a year to be on that team and is only for the very elite'. I was like why the hell where they in this tournament against us, lol.

Wait why did your little leagues get so bad?
because everybody wanted their kid to play traveling ball. If their kid wasn't good enough to make a team they'd start one and so on until it got so watered down that traveling ball looks like little league.

That's what we did growing up. My town is about 5,000 people so it's actually a village. we played little league then All Stars and went to about 3-4 tournaments. When I turned 13 we decided to take our All Star team and play travel ball against other schools in the county, no out of state shit, no players from other cities just kids from our town. My senior year we were 1 game out of the state championship and the last public school to survive. I think they've fixed the whole private vs public school divisional deal now but back then it was criminal, lowering enrollment so they could recruit and dominate smaller divisions.

We created the problem in our town, the minute we created a traveling team kids that weren't as good decided to get together with another town and start their own. We scrimmaged them once and it was a murder. The whole thing snowballed from there and now after 20 years it's completely out of control.

I recently moved to Clarksville, IN...But on the outskirts. Town has about 21,000. EVerything such as bars, rest, etc, etc...are still closed; except for carryout of course. I am starting to see more and more people out and about. Seems though more are wearing mask to the stores, i.e. Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc, etc..Aside from not having baseball, nothing has really changed for us. We pretty much stay at home anyways. With the cancelling of baseball though, it has allowed me more time on the lake. I went Saturday, and my buddy and I caught around 50 bluegill/red ear. Nice day on the lake.
Even closer to Louisville, now. We definitely need to have a meetup at some point. Half this board is within a few hours driving from Louisville I feel like. Theres a decent amount in the city and surrounding towns themselves.

Hell no. We are still DEEP underwater, with 130,000 cases confirmed in NJ so far, and that's with SERIOUSLY limited testing. Around my neighborhood, nobody gets within six feet of each other... doing so is seen as lunacy. I have totally lost track of how many people I am connected to who have died from it... Facebook has been just a flood of them.

Projections of cases and deaths have jumped up with so many states starting to open back up... Texas and Florida are seeing upswings, and I fear it will get worse as it jumps from person to person... one model projects in the neighborhood of 170k dead by August. That is three times the combat casualties we suffered in World War 1, and all in just a few months. An internal administration study is projecting 3,000 deaths and 200,000 cases a day (up from the current 25k per day) by June 1. There are these stories now showing up of people attacking store workers for telling them to wear masks, and people with guns marching on their government buildings...?

Honestly, I fear that Americans today are too used to ease, and too used to instant (or near instant) gratification, and have a hard time accepting hardships and limitations and not getting what they want, when they want it, the way the Greatest Generation understood it... and that we, as a nation, will suffer for it. When you see these people flocking to beaches and the like... I just don't get it. You have to work? Okay, I get it... be careful. But the amount of "just for fun" "I can do what I want!" social stuff blows my mind.

Our first amateur tournament is on the 16th and 17th here. As of now we are still having it. Adjusted number of participants, one cart per person, and all the other things the USGA has recommended but I think it will work well.

Hell no. We are still DEEP underwater, with 130,000 cases confirmed in NJ so far, and that's with SERIOUSLY limited testing. Around my neighborhood, nobody gets within six feet of each other... doing so is seen as lunacy. I have totally lost track of how many people I am connected to who have died from it... Facebook has been just a flood of them.

Projections of cases and deaths have jumped up with so many states starting to open back up... Texas and Florida are seeing upswings, and I fear it will get worse as it jumps from person to person... one model projects in the neighborhood of 170k dead by August. That is three times the combat casualties we suffered in World War 1, and all in just a few months. An internal administration study is projecting 3,000 deaths and 200,000 cases a day (up from the current 25k per day) by June 1. There are these stories now showing up of people attacking store workers for telling them to wear masks, and people with guns marching on their government buildings...?

Honestly, I fear that Americans today are too used to ease, and too used to instant (or near instant) gratification, and have a hard time accepting hardships and limitations and not getting what they want, when they want it, the way the Greatest Generation understood it... and that we, as a nation, will suffer for it. When you see these people flocking to beaches and the like... I just don't get it. You have to work? Okay, I get it... be careful. But the amount of "just for fun" "I can do what I want!" social stuff blows my mind.

My concern is that our state locked down too early, and now people haven’t seen much happen, so they’re ready to get back to normalcy. I realize waiting would’ve caused issues, but the alarm bells rang early and people are beginning to call their bluff. We’ll know much more in a couple weeks, imo.

Reactions: TheDude1
ADVERTISEMENT