ADVERTISEMENT

Could non-conference games be canceled?

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
Note: This is not definitive. Take this with a grain of salt.

I have a friend who is part of the Duquesne basketball program and he’s saying that the NCAA is creating contingency plans for the upcoming season that include canceling all non-conference games and pushing the start of the season back to the beginning of January. All games would be played without fans.

This corroborates what a trusted poster said on our home board, who recently said a member of the Maryland basketball program told him the same thing. He said that this is the “NCAA’s Plan B,” with Plan A being a normal season and a Plan C being no season at all. They’d do whatever they could in order play a full season, however.

Again, this is all speculative and things could change, but this is what programs are beginning to hear (and plan for) across the country.

Afraid a normal season won’t happen... too much virus and too much liability. But the January start date.. if we have a vaccine, that would be an amazing “welcome back” to normalcy:)

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Afraid a normal season won’t happen... too much virus and too much liability. But the January start date.. if we have a vaccine, that would be an amazing “welcome back” to normalcy:)

Aside from MLB, my life is pretty much back to normal. I'm glad Wisconsin isn't as depressing as your state.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
All camps for officials have been suspended as of now...From what I hear, it looks 50/50 as of NOW. A lot will depend on the direction of the virus..

Reactions: TheDude1
All camps for officials have been suspended as of now...From what I hear, it looks 50/50 as of NOW. A lot will depend on the direction of the virus..

Well good news then. The virus seems to be much less lethal than previously. Hospital and death rates continue to go down.

Well good news then. The virus seems to be much less lethal than previously. Hospital and death rates continue to go down.
It is...We had a webinar the other day. Unless this things just goes nuts, I see basketball being played. Maybe at first with restrictions. But I think it gets played.

Reactions: GE Nole
That’s the sense I’ve had from the FSU staff, as well.
The more I talk with officials, the better I feel. I spoke with Mike Eades the other day about this....Mostly about camps., though. His thought hinged on what most feel---How do things look in Oct/Nov. Bad thing for me is, camps being suspended, cancelled, otr limited. It means I cannot get into camps, with an opportunity to move up. That stinks.

The more I talk with officials, the better I feel. I spoke with Mike Eades the other day about this....Mostly about camps., though. His thought hinged on what most feel---How do things look in Oct/Nov. Bad thing for me is, camps being suspended, cancelled, otr limited. It means I cannot get into camps, with an opportunity to move up. That stinks.

Yeah. That’s tough. Sorry.

If you get rid of the OOC season, there's no way to differentiate one conference from another.

Should we be limited to 20 regular season games, I'd say at least 6 of those need to be OOC games.

If you get rid of the OOC season, there's no way to differentiate one conference from another.

Should we be limited to 20 regular season games, I'd say at least 6 of those need to be OOC games.

If this schedule happens I’d assume you can kiss any sort of national tournament goodbye. This schedule type will be a last resort

The land of dairy sounds riveting. I’ve never thought “I wanna visit Wisconsin” lol

Wisconsin in the summer is one of the nicest places on Earth. You just feel like you're on vacation when you're there. Beautiful state, super nice people.

Reactions: GE Nole
Not just you. Thank God people don’t consider Wisconsin as a place to vacation. Our state already gets flooded by Chicago vacationers and that’s annoying enough.

We know a good thing when we see it. With Wisconsin building one amazing golf resort after another the word is starting to get out, at least amongst the golfing crowd.

If this schedule happens I’d assume you can kiss any sort of national tournament goodbye. This schedule type will be a last resort

To me, while watching basketball is obv a huge plus, a season with no NCAAT is pretty weak.

If that’s the plan hopefully we go ahead and ban ourselves from postseason play like Gtech did last year and it counted, despite that there was no postseason sans a few conf tourneys.

Note: This is not definitive. Take this with a grain of salt.

I have a friend who is part of the Duquesne basketball program and he’s saying that the NCAA is creating contingency plans for the upcoming season that include canceling all non-conference games and pushing the start of the season back to the beginning of January. All games would be played without fans.

This corroborates what a trusted poster said on our home board, who recently said a member of the Maryland basketball program told him the same thing. He said that this is the “NCAA’s Plan B,” with Plan A being a normal season and a Plan C being no season at all. They’d do whatever they could in order play a full season, however.

Again, this is all speculative and things could change, but this is what programs are beginning to hear (and plan for) across the country.
Are they planning for conference team to play each other three to four times to make up the non conference games

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Are they planning for conference team to play each other three to four times to make up the non conference games
I have no idea, sorry. But you do raise a good point, though. I’d imagine they’d have to modify the schedule so that, if they plan on having an actual season with a tournament in this scenario, each team would be able to get enough games in.

ADVERTISEMENT