ADVERTISEMENT

Construction/repair/basement people, some advice?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Hey all.

So, had a major pipe burst outside, and it saturated the ground.

Had the water come up through the basement floor and soak the downstairs.

IMG-8958.jpg

A lot of it seems to be coming up through this apparently-patched area under the rug... like, it seems to be coming up and through the seams at its edge.

IMG-8959.jpg

Obviously this was done before we moved in. Does anyone with any building experience have any idea what the story of this patch could be? Like, why is there what appears to be a patch in the middle of the floor, and is that a weak spot that needs fixing?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm.

Buried treasure is in there, buried bodies are in there or the last owner had a slab leak fixed right there.

Those are my guesses.

Reactions: TheDude1
Probably a floor drain that someone didn't want there, so they grouted over it thinking that would stop water from backing up in there.

Seems like rain water is making it's way into that drain and the path of least resistance is up through the grout.

Hmmm.

Buried treasure is in there, buried bodies are in there or the last owner had a slab leak fixed right there.

Those are my guesses.

Interesting... I thought maybe an old sump pump spot that had been patched up, but I have no idea, and it makes me nervous that it seems to be a weak spot for water... just trying to get a more professional eye on it than mine, you know?

Looks like the entire house needs to be demolished. Might as well sign the title over to me. I don't want to deal with it, but I feel like doing someone a favor. :D

PS: Nice Legs

Probably a floor drain that someone didn't want there, so they grouted over it thinking that would stop water from backing up in there.

Seems like rain water is making it's way into that drain and the path of least resistance is up through the grout.
This. Probably used a leveling compound. Assuming you’ve had a lot of rain recently? How long have you been in the house?

Plumber will need to cut out the concrete and properly cap the pipe. Might want to tie in a run off drain as well. Sorry man.

Reactions: UL_1986 and kyjeff1
So what happened was an outside pipe burst and ran for probably an hour, right 2 inches outside of the house… Full House pressure worth of water… Flooded the entire yard. I think it kind of just went down under and came back up wherever could find the weakest spot. Got in touch with the former owner, he said it was just a low spot that they leveled. I don’t know, sounds weird. Thanks for the advice, all. Unfortunately turns out it was worse than I thought, now half of the room is pulled up. ****ing heartbroken.

So what happened was an outside pipe burst and ran for probably an hour, right 2 inches outside of the house… Full House pressure worth of water… Flooded the entire yard. I think it kind of just went down under and came back up wherever could find the weakest spot. Got in touch with the former owner, he said it was just a low spot that they leveled. I don’t know, sounds weird. Thanks for the advice, all. Unfortunately turns out it was worse than I thought, now half of the room is pulled up. ****ing heartbroken.
Does insurance cover you?

I don’t know, hadn’t gotten that far:(
It actually might be key that the pipe was exterior that caused the damage interior. Research your coverage and make sure your ducks are in a row on "what happened" so you don't get screwed by your insurance.

Reactions: UL_1986
It actually might be key that the pipe was exterior that caused the damage interior. Research your coverage and make sure your ducks are in a row on "what happened" so you don't get screwed by your insurance.
Yeah, outside pipe burst is probably gonna help you. Call your insurance right away and get an adjuster out there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT