ADVERTISEMENT

Conference of Champions (Not Pac-12)

Kevin Bryan

Apr 30, 2011
UAB will play North Texas (for the 4th time this year, 2-1 UNT) for the NIT title, Charlotte won the CBI, and FAU is in the Final Four. Conference as a whole is 17-1 in the postseason (Rice lost 2nd rd of CBI). That's pretty wild. I'd say that's a hell of a year for C-USA.

Charlotte won the CBI, either North Texas or UAB will win the NIT, and FAU is two wins away from the ultimate Cinderella run… has this ever happened before? Pretty impressive feat by the AAC C-USA!
Doubt it....CBI hasn't been around long enough.

Only time I can recall where a team from same conference won the NIT and the NCAAT was 1992. DUke won the natty, and UVA won the NIT.

Note--CCNY won both in 1950.

That's pretty wild, actually. Sounds like C-USA should have had at least 1 more team in the field of 68.

Unless I'm missing something, the NCAA Champion and the CBI Champion have never been from the same conference. I only counted 5 instances where the NCAA/NIT champion were from the same conference. Pretty rare. Am I missing any years?

06- Florida / South Carolina
03- Syracuse / St. John's
92- Duke / Virginia
79- Michigan State / Indiana
50- CCNY / CCNY

That's pretty wild, actually. Sounds like C-USA should have had at least 1 more team in the field of 68.

Unless I'm missing something, the NCAA Champion and the CBI Champion have never been from the same conference. I only counted 5 instances where the NCAA/NIT champion were from the same conference. Pretty rare. Am I missing any years?

06- Florida / South Carolina
03- Syracuse / St. John's
92- Duke / Virginia
79- Michigan State / Indiana
50- CCNY / CCNY
No....I didn't dig into deep. But the CBI has only been around like 15 years...Plus I cannot think of any P5 conference team being in the CBI. Usually a tournament regulated to mid-majors.

Edit---Did some quick research...Saw were UVA, Houston, Penn State, Texas and Pitt have played in the CBI. MOF, Houston has played in it 3x's.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT