ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Honk; Assemble Your Conference's College All-Star Team

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
and how they would fare against the other conferences that will be listed too. Any era, starters or full ten spots, any criteria. Go.

Got this idea from a couple of posters going at it in another thread.

@Bert Higginbotha; would love to see who you pick.

Last edited:
We haven’t been in the ACC that long but I’ll give it a shot.

Starting 5
Chris Paul
Micheal Jordan
David Thompson
Tim Duncan
Ralph Sampson

Bench
Grant Hill
Christian Laettner
Vince Carter
Elton Brand
James worthy

I’m only 35ish so I’m sure I probly missed a few older players that should be on the list.

For SEC;

SG; Chris Lofton (Most 3 pt. FG made - SEC Record) TN
PG; Pistol Pete Maravich LSU
PF; Anthony Davis UK
SF; Charles Barkley AUB
C; Shaquille O'Neal LSU

Reactions: WDE_Tarp
We haven’t been in the ACC that long but I’ll give it a shot.

Starting 5
Chris Paul
Micheal Jordan
David Thompson
Tim Duncan
Ralph Sampson

Bench
Grant Hill
Christian Laettner
Vince Carter
Elton Brand
James worthy

I’m only 35ish so I’m sure I probly missed a few older players that should be on the list.
Solid list. SEC isn't going to have quite as many top 50 players of all time, but they have a few.

Yea I started thinking about SEC and ur list is solid, and would be a force. I had forgot about Lofton but I had

Davis
Barkley
Shaq
Pistol

Was just trying to think of a sg. Think I’d go Allen Houston over lofton, but that’s JMO. Both were dead eye shooters no doubt.

You should set parameters as far the players based on what they did in college or players just based on how good their college and nba careers were. I put Laettner in bc of his amazing college resume but if we were going off entire ncaa and nba career I’m not sure he’d make the cut.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
PG - Frank Mason - 2017 NPOY
SG - Kevin Durant - 2007 NPOY
SF - Wayman Tisdale - 3x Conference Player of the Year and 3x First Team All American
PF - Danny Manning - 1988 NPOY
C - Wilt Chamberlain - Sex with 20,000 women.

Pretty hard to come up with a list actually. Durant was a PF, as was Tisdale, and Manning and Blake Griffin. No way to put them all on there.

Yea I started thinking about SEC and ur list is solid, and would be a force. I had forgot about Lofton but I had

Davis
Barkley
Shaq
Pistol

Was just trying to think of a sg. Think I’d go Allen Houston over lofton, but that’s JMO. Both were dead eye shooters no doubt.

You should set parameters as far the players based on what they did in college or players just based on how good their college and nba careers were. I put Laettner in bc of his amazing college resume but if we were going off entire ncaa and nba career I’m not sure he’d make the cut.
What's crazy is we could all choose an all-star team from our own schools too after all of the talent that's gone through them. Edited title to your recommendation.

Would be more interesting if you could only pick one player from a school. I could have a team full of Duke guys - and all 10 of them have been named National POY by some organization.

Johnny Dawkins, 1986
JJ Redick, 2006
Shane Battier, 2001
Zion Williamson, 2019
Christian Laettner, 1992

Dick Groat, 1952
Jason Williams, 2002
Art Heyman, 1963
Danny Ferry, 1989
Elton Brand, 1999

So, I like the idea of only allowing one player per school. And I assume this is based on production in college, right? I'll go with this team:

Michael Jordan, UNC
David Thompson, NC State
Austin Carr, Notre Dame
Zion Williamson, Duke
Ralph Sampson, Virginia

Dave Bing, Syracuse
Darrell Griffith, Louisville
Rick Barry, Miami
Dave Cowens, Florida State
Tim Duncan, Wake Forest

Only problem with that proposition is with the recent conference realignments.

I know you know this but obv Griffith didn’t play in the ACC.

Plus with only one player from each school we are basically just listing the best player in the history of each school. I think an all time conference team should be the all time best players regardless if multiple players attended the same school, but i get ur point.

PG - TJ Ford, Texas - 2003 Naismith Winner
SG - Buddy Hield, OU - 2016 Naismith Winner

PF - Danny Manning, KU - 1988 Consenus NPOY
C - Bob Kurland, OSU - 1946 NPOY, 3x All American, 2x NCAA Tournament MOP

I’m drawing blanks on who the SF would be for the Big 12.

PG - Frank Mason - 2017 NPOY
SG - Kevin Durant - 2007 NPOY
SF - Wayman Tisdale - 3x Conference Player of the Year and 3x First Team All American
PF - Danny Manning - 1988 NPOY
C - Wilt Chamberlain - Sex with 20,000 women.

Pretty hard to come up with a list actually. Durant was a PF, as was Tisdale, and Manning and Blake Griffin. No way to put them all on there.
Wilt Chamberlain
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Buddy Hield
Michael Beasley
Joel Embiid

My all time Louisville list

Darell Griffith
Wes unsled
Pervis ellison
Charlie Tyra
Reece Gaines
Dejuan wheat
Donovan Mitchell
Russ Smith
Billy Thompson
Labradford Smith

Uk fans should make a list pre-calipari vs calipari era and see how they match up, that would be interesting imo bc u could put a helluva squad together using only calipari’s players.

Only problem with that proposition is with the recent conference realignments.

I know you know this but obv Griffith didn’t play in the ACC.

Plus with only one player from each school we are basically just listing the best player in the history of each school. I think an all time conference team should be the all time best players regardless if multiple players attended the same school, but i get ur point.

Assumed we were putting together teams of current conference members. Only 5 of the 10 guys I listed even played in the ACC. If I'm doing the 10 best that have ever played in the ACC... Let's say

Michael Jordan, UNC
David Thompson, NC State
Zion Williamson, Duke
Tim Duncan, Wake Forest
Ralph Sampson, Virginia

Phil Ford, UNC
JJ Redick, Duke
Grant Hill, Duke
Christian Laettner, Duke
Tyler Hansbrough, UNC

So yeah, I have 7 Duke/UNC players this way.

I know what you meant I just don’t think it’s an appropriate to put people on an all-time ACC team who didn’t play in the acc. But thats just my opinion, and I see where ur coming from.

And I totally forgot about how dominant hansborogh was in college when I made my list.

My all time Louisville list

Darell Griffith
Wes unsled
Pervis ellison
Charlie Tyra
Reece Gaines
Dejuan wheat
Donovan Mitchell
Russ Smith
Billy Thompson
Labradford Smith
Kansas

PG - Frank Mason - NPOY
SG - Kirk Hinrich maybe? AA and 2x All Conference
SF - Paul Pierce - All American
PF - Danny Manning - NPOY
C - Wilt Chamberlain - GOAT

Jacque Vaughn - All American
Clyde Lovellette - NPOY, All American
Nick Collison (maybe homer pick) - All American
Sherron Collins - All American
Raef Lafrentz - All American

There’s really no perfect list. So many deserving names.

Uk fans should make a list pre-calipari vs calipari era and see how they match up, that would be interesting imo bc u could put a helluva squad together using only calipari’s players.

With Cal, I'd say:

1st Team
John Wall
Malik Monk
Jamal Murray
Anthony Davis
Karl-Anthony Towns

2nd Team
Tyler Ulis
Doron Lamb
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

HM:
Brandon Knight
Marquis Teague
PJ Washington
Terence Jones
Willie Cauley-Stein

I know what you meant I just don’t think it’s an appropriate to put people on an all-time ACC team who didn’t play in the acc. But thats just my opinion, and I see where ur coming from.

And I totally forgot about how dominant hansborogh was in college when I made my list.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Back in the days of the Big East, they had some formidable teams/players; ala Mullin, Ewing, Mourning, Iverson, Melo

Yea an all-time old big east squad would be a helluva squad as well. Honestly every major conference is gonna have a ridiculous all time team.

Assumed we were putting together teams of current conference members. Only 5 of the 10 guys I listed even played in the ACC. If I'm doing the 10 best that have ever played in the ACC... Let's say

Michael Jordan, UNC
David Thompson, NC State
Zion Williamson, Duke
Tim Duncan, Wake Forest
Ralph Sampson, Virginia

Phil Ford, UNC
JJ Redick, Duke
Grant Hill, Duke
Christian Laettner, Duke
Tyler Hansbrough, UNC

So yeah, I have 7 Duke/UNC players this by

Players that should be mentioned in no particular order:

Len Bias
John Lucas
Phil Ford
Jerry Stackhouse
Bobby Hurley
Rasheed Wallace

And there's more.

The SEC needs to up their game. Of the 66, 28 played at UK (29 if you count Kanter). UK alone would be ranked #6 on that list (Big East 27).

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...colleges-most-players-2019-20-nba-opening-day

Think the others have stepped up their game. Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, My Vols all are signing five stars in the last few classes. With the influx of coaching talent, the conference is moving up. Think the SEC will pass the PAC 10 in the next few years, the ACC not so much.

Now we all still have to bow to the mighty big blue, but the conference is catching up a bit.

Think the others have stepped up their game. Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, My Vols all are signing five stars in the last few classes. With the influx of coaching talent, the conference is moving up. Think the SEC will pass the PAC 10 in the next few years, the ACC not so much.

Now we all still have to bow to the mighty big blue, but the conference is catching up a bit.

Bumping my own post since the Vols just got another five star to add to a future NBA roster. Nice class for my Vols.

For SEC;

SG; Chris Lofton (Most 3 pt. FG made - SEC Record) TN
PG; Pistol Pete Maravich LSU
PF; Anthony Davis UK
SF; Charles Barkley AUB
C; Shaquille O'Neal LSU

One of these is not like the other 4. Surely we can do better than Chris lofton

Lofton has a helluva college career, which is what these lists are based on. Personally I would have put Allen Houston in above Lofton, but just bc he didn’t have an amazing nba career doesn’t mean Lofton wasn’t a helluva college player. Booker could also fill that sg spot if we were goin off of overall skill and not just what they did in college.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Lofton has a helluva college career, which is what these lists are based on. Personally I would have put Allen Houston in above Lofton, but just bc he didn’t have an amazing nba career doesn’t mean Lofton wasn’t a helluva college player. Booker could also fill that sg spot if we were goin off of overall skill and not just what they did in college.
He was good but he was never even a first team AA. If you look at most peoples teams it’s made up of NPOY’s and multiple first team AA types. Lofton did have a nice college career though.

Just found out Barkley was never an All American himself. Multiple all SEC teams but looks like he missed out on the national recognition.

What position would Latrell sprewell be? I would take him over lofton or Houston

Michael Jordan, UNC
David Thompson, NC State
Zion Williamson, Duke
Tim Duncan, Wake Forest
Ralph Sampson, Virginia

Phil Ford, UNC
JJ Redick, Duke
Grant Hill, Duke
Christian Laettner, Duke
Tyler Hansbrough, UNC

So yeah, I have 7 Duke/UNC players this way.

Zion is really a top 5 all time in ACC? You really think so?

For non-Duke/UNC guys, maybe Mark Price? Stephon Marbury? Juan Dixon? Len Bias? Horace Grant?

What position would Latrell sprewell be? I would take him over lofton or Houston

I guess SG/SF. When he and Houston were on the knicks I think Houston played SG and Spreaell was SF but they were pretty much interchangeable with spree being the better slasher/finisher and Houston being the better pure shooter, although both could shoot and finish at the rim. I had no idea sprewell played no in the SEC, where did he attend college?

Edit: also my man Corliss don’t call me scoreless Williamson had a helluva college career at Arkansas. One of my personal all time favorite college players.

I guess SG/SF. When he and Houston were on the knicks I think Houston played SG and Spreaell was SF but they were pretty much interchangeable with spree being the better slasher/finisher and Houston being the better pure shooter, although both could shoot and finish at the rim. I had no idea sprewell played no in the SEC, where did he attend college?

Edit: also my man Corliss don’t call me scoreless Williamson had a helluva college career at Arkansas. One of my personal all time favorite college players.

Sprewell played at Alabama. Corliss would be another good one for sure.

Zion is really a top 5 all time in ACC? You really think so?

For non-Duke/UNC guys, maybe Mark Price? Stephon Marbury? Juan Dixon? Len Bias? Horace Grant?

Yes, I do. An effective field goal% north of 70%. He has the highest recorded player efficiency rating of all-time.

The other guys you mention all have merit, except Marbury. Definitely not a top 10 ACC player of all-time. He wouldn't make the top 10 for Duke or UNC, IMO.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT