ADVERTISEMENT

College Courts Named After Coaches

TarHeels740

Jan 4, 2007
*UPDATED* Trying to compile a list of Division 1 college basketball courts named after coaches -- and identify (*) ones that are named after coaches that did NOT win a National Championship at the school. Who am I missing?

Duke - Coach K

UNC - Roy Williams

Oklahoma St - Eddie Sutton*

Arkansas - Nolan Richardson

UF - Billy Donovan

Arizona - Lute & Bobbi Olson

Syracuse - Jim Boeheim

Michigan St - Tom Izzo (coming soon)

UCLA - Nell & John Wooden

Louisville - Denny Crum

UNLV - Jerry Tarkanian

Georgetown - John Thompson

Maryland - Gary Williams

Illinois - Lou Henson*

New Mexico - Bob King*

Georgia Tech - Bobby Cremins*

Purdue - Gene Keady*

Tennessee - Pat Summitt

Indiana State - John Wooden

Indiana - Branch McCracken

New Mexico State - Lou Henson*

Last edited:
Trying to compile a list of Division 1 college basketball courts named after coaches -- and identify (*) ones that are named after coaches that won a National Championship at the school. Who am I missing?

Duke - Coach K

UNC - Roy Williams

UF - Billy Donovan

Syracuse - Jim Boeheim

Louisville - Denny Crum

UNLV - Jerry Tarkanian*

Maryland - Gary Williams

Illinois - Lou Henson*

New Mexico - Bob King*
Tennessee- Pat Summitt

Trying to compile a list of Division 1 college basketball courts named after coaches -- and identify (*) ones that are named after coaches that won a National Championship at the school. Who am I missing?

Duke - Coach K

UNC - Roy Williams

UF - Billy Donovan

Syracuse - Jim Boeheim

Louisville - Denny Crum

UNLV - Jerry Tarkanian*

Maryland - Gary Williams

Illinois - Lou Henson*

New Mexico - Bob King*
I believe UCLA is actually Sam Gilbert Court.

Awww, that's cute. I think he's talking about men's basketball though.
Kevin, I don't see why you would choose to disparage this, but since you have, you should know that Pat Summitt has won more National Championships and more games than any UK coach has in history.

OK, so I think the asterisks are meant to indicate coaches who have a court named after them but DID NOT win a championship at the school? I think that's what you meant. Tarkanian did though.

Kevin, I don't see why you would choose to disparage this, but since you have, you should know that Pat Summitt has won more National Championships and more games than any UK coach has in history.
I didn't disparage anything. I just said I'm pretty sure he's talking about real basketball. ;)

I could see WVU naming after Huggins at some point. Especially if he can finish his career with another Final Four or better.
He should have been at WVU a lot sooner. I always enjoyed watching his UC teams all the years he was in Cincy though. IMO, they would've won it all in 2000 had Kenyon Martin not broken his leg in the CUSA tourney.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
6704719753_be5fa7e818_b.jpg

While Tubby Smith was coaching at Memphis, High Point announced that they would name the court after him and his wife. I haven't seen anything about it being done officially, maybe they're waiting until he steps down. Would be awkward to fire the guy who has the basketball court honored in his name.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
While Tubby Smith was coaching at Memphis, High Point announced that they would name the court after him and his wife. I haven't seen anything about it being done officially, maybe they're waiting until he steps down. Would be awkward to fire the guy who has the basketball court honored in his name.
It will be the court at their new arena, which opens next season.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Gene Keady didn't win a national championship though.
Neither did Cremins. The asterisks are for coaches that didn't win a title (even though he said they were for coaches that did win). Wooden at Indiana State should have an asterisk too. It's kind of lame they even named the court after him anyway. He was only there for 2 years. Would they have named it after him had he not had the success he had at UCLA? Highly doubtful.

Oh, I thought the OP said that the asterisk was for coaches that did. At least that's the way it read to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT