College Basketball "Position U"

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Big_Blue79, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Big_Blue79

Big_Blue79 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This ESPN article is astoundingly dumb. https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/i...etball-programs-produce-best-players-position. It attempts to rate each school by the players they produced at different "positions," with those "positions" being:
    1. Point guard (good start).
    2. Sharpshooter (I guess shooting guard?).
    3. Wing (usually includes 2s, 3s, and 4s that can space but here it includes 2-5, see below).
    4. Interior scorer (wut?).
    5. Post defender (mmmkay).
    I'm all for abolishing standard positions, but this particular method is... odd. Some other highlights:
    • Grayson Allen is not a sharpshooter but a wing, along with Nick Collison and 6'11" center Justin Patton from Creighton. You know, similar player archetypes.
    • Jabari Parker is not a wing but an interior scorer, along with guys like Embiid and Cousins.
    • Cousins and Towns are interior scorers (accurate) and post defenders (... no), but AD is only listed as a post defender and not an interior scorer.
    • Durant is a post defender but not anything else, and him and Chris Mihm rank ahead of UConn's combination of Emeka Okafor and Hasheem Thabeet for interior defense.
    • Elton Brand is noted as a post defender (no) but not an interior scorer.
    • Embiid is not a post defender, but he is an interior scorer. Meanwhile, Jeff Whithey is not even listed but Drew Gooden and Cole Aldrich are notable KU post defenders.
    • ESPN "devised a formula," but there is zero insight into what the formula is or who was considered aside from the seemingly random grab-bag of names and "positions."

CardinalBoiler and AWilli6995 like this.
  2. lurkeraspect84

lurkeraspect84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Random UK Fan likes this.
  3. imajericho

imajericho Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

UNC not being PG U is funny.

4. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Just silly that UNC wouldn't be higher in PGs (Ed Cota, Ray Felton, Ty Lawson, Kendall Marshall, Marcus Paige, Joel Berry, Coby White, Cole Anthony) and number 1 in interior scorer. Roy must be the greatest coach of all time according to them. Somehow, I doubt it though. I'm sure they came up with some way to rank them to get what they wanted though. Surprised this hasn't gotten more play tbh, though I think people pay little attention to ESPN much now and this kind of shows why.

5. huskitt

huskitt Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Biggest surprise imo Creighton. Guess they're next on Gilligans list of schools paying players.

6. Villian07

Villian07 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Creighton already on the fbi list of paying players so......he’d be right.

The biggest joke was already mentioned by the OP. Texas with Durant and Mihm ranked over UConn with okafor and thabeet as better interior defenders. That’s absolutely ludicrous. Okafor and Thabeet were elite rim protectors in college and arguable should be number 1 as I don’t really believe UK should have cousins or KAT on that list, although they were incredible offensively. Davis belongs obviously, but WCS should be there wayyyyy before Cousins or KAT.

7. Mike_Edwards

Mike_Edwards Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

AD, Kat, WCS, Big Cuz, Randle, Bam.......nobody even close for bigs, sorry, go ahead and try to argue that and look legit stupid.

8. MrBaracus

MrBaracus Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Embiid, Azubuike, Robinson, Arthur, Morris twins, Withey, Aldrich, Lafrentz, Collison, Gooden, Simien, Pollard, Wright, Ellis, Lawson doesn’t even compare to your OAD brigade?

jjrussell likes this.
  9. Villian07

Villian07 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The thing is they didn’t even have it separated into categories that include big men as a category, it was “interior scorer” and “post defender”

10. Bruiser1

Bruiser1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Villanova should have been on the PG list. Alvin Williams, Kyle Lowry, Scottie Reynolds, Ryan Arcidiacono, Jalen Brunson.

11. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Looks accurate to me Winking

lurkeraspect84 likes this.