College Baseball

Discussion in 'College Baseball Clubhouse' started by USD'84, Sep 12, 2013.

1. USD'84

USD'84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's time to start posting college baseball news on this board before it gets hijacked.

My two cents is that USD has two outstanding JC infielders coming in: Kyle Holder from Grossmont JC and Brandon Defazio from San Mateo JC. Both of these guys have a great work ethic and can field and hit. One will most likely fill in at third and the other at shortstop.

We also had position players Connor Joe and Andrew Daniel of the Cape Cod League, Louie Lechich of the California League and Ryan Kirby of the West Coast League given props for strong play this summer. Wes Judish and Troy Conyers of the Prospect League and C.J. Burdick of the West Coast League received honors for pitching as well.

I'm very optimistic about the potential of this group of ballplayers. It looks like we'll have gloves to go with bats and arms this time around. Can these young men bond as team and get hot at the right time?

How about your teams?

2. ukraineforChrist

ukraineforChrist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

USD has a good chance to do well.

3. USC12titles

USC12titles Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

USC is going to suck
    Hubbs is not Savage, they wont make it to Omaha or even supers and anything less is a failure for the season.
    Haden will keep Kiffin and Hubbs and will have ruined all of USC athletics. He will return to south bendover as a hero to the french and they will sacrifice alter boys butt hymens in his honor all over campus

4. alxko33

alxko33 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Any predictions on Bickford's first season at Fullerton? Can Garza and Eshelman repeat their awesomeness?

5. USDTORERO9

USDTORERO9 Member
    Expand Collapse

USD 84 - I have heard Holder is pretty smooth at SS.

6. 2Bulldogs

2Bulldogs Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

All said is very promising, but when isn't it in San Diego. The teams they had the past two years should have made a more competitive run. I am not sure a line-up resembling the 1927 Yankees can get it done down there as history repeats itself EVERY year in a disappointing finish. They always have the talent, they now have the facility, all they now need is...

7. irishfan100

irishfan100 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What's up 2Bulldogs? Athletic Director Ky Snider addressed the very topic that you bring up in an interview posted on USDToreros.com today. He states that our baseball goal is to get to a Super Regional.

I don't believe there is any administrative heat on Rich Hill because he works as hard as any D1 baseball coach out there. He will deliver or die trying! This may be a good year to give it a little extra effort because we definitely have some good ballplayers for 2014.

No way would I say our pitching matches CSUF or UCLA, but I think that there may be some emerging talent on the pitching staff.

In a related athletic topic, our Torero lady volleyballers beat the national #1 USC Trojans last night 3 sets to 1. Nothing like that to get all the men's and women's teams fired up. The kids at Jenny Craig Pavillion rushed the floor after the last point.

Last thing 2Bdogs, what happened to the Anteaters in 2013 and what is the prognosis for this year?

I tried to edit this because the wrong username shows up. I am USD'84!!!
    This post was edited on 9/15 2:54 AM by irishfan100

8. 2Bulldogs

Expand Collapse

This post was edited on 9/15 2:03 PM by 2Bulldogs

9. 2Bulldogs

Expand Collapse

History is the best source of information in providing insight into issues like USD baseball. Especially when prognosticating. That old saying, "you do not know where you are going unless you know where you have been" is especially important when weighing-in on this topic, IMHO.

To start off, where has USD baseball been under Coach Hill? The following thoughts comes to mind in response. He has recruited some of the best players in the area and as a result has had sufficient talent each year to compete in the WCC resulting in the realistic chance to play in a Regional, in each of his 14 years. He has guided the program to EIGHT post-season appearances. He is the most successful coach (winning-wise) in USD baseball history.

On a personal note, he is very hard-working in his craft, and very engaging with parents in the recruiting arena. He is a great family man, and I really think he cares deeply about his players. In sum, he has always had the qualities to be a successful D-1 baseball coach. But, does a 8-17 record in the post-season over his career translate to success? If determining whether he is successful is defined by the eight visits to the post season and averaging over 34 wins per year since his inaugural year (1999), then yes. However, I think he should have least gotten out of one of those Regionals, and that's where history creates a problematic road-block to the vision of a Super Regional. Not unless he changes his approach, IMHO.

Since this (Board) venue is where we can provide opinions, I will not do so at the expense of destructively degrading Rich Hill. He is far too good of a man to deserve such treatment. But if he were to ask, "[W]hat could I do to get over the hump of abject failure in the post-season", I would begin by offering that he allow his kids to determine their own collective identity as a team instead of force-feeding his identity upon them. I have seen his approach in that regard play-out for several years. For one example, his antics on the field are the source of entertaining folklore in Southern California, and don't think for a second that doesn't take its distracting toll on the kids. The best teams to successfully navigate the NCAA Tournament are not necessarily the most talented collection of players (i.e., 2008 Fresno State Bulldogs). The Omaha-bound teams obtain their impetus for a successful post-season run from developed (on the field and at practice) leadership and chemistry of the players. The coach is there to work with the leadership not interpose his will or personality thereupon.The coach is there to foster the environment and provide the tools to succeed and at the same time teach and develop. IMHO, the most important successful aspect of that equation is the leadership ON THE FIELD, which translates to an effective and winning team chemistry because the ultimate success comes from execution on the field, first. If I were Coach Hill, that's where I would focus my coaching attention for the year 2013/2014 season.

2013 Anteaters...What Happened?

As for the 2013 Anteaters, IMHO, that might have been the most talented team UCI ever had. Previously I commented on why I thought they underachieved. In a word, (PLAYER) "leadership" or the lack thereof. Sound familiar?

In the years under Skip, when there was a year where there was a lacking of on the field leadership, Coach Gillespie tried to prod the issue by doing "something" to get one or perhaps several voices to lead. Coach knows the importance of allowing the kids on the field to lead and develop chemistry as that breeds confidence, the most important asset in winning beyond the regular season. Last season, when things started to go wrong on the field, I did not see an Orloff, Lowenstein, Holiday, Cusick, Madigan, or Hernandez take charge. The coaching staff cannot perform that task alone, it must come from on the field leadership; because when things start to go south, the players will look toward those players in whom they have the learned confidence to stabilize, sooth, and reverse the bad fortunes. They believe in and expect those players to lead and inspire confidence. And ALL the talent in the world (absent leadership) will not be enough to reverse those bad moments that sometime defines a season.

To start fall practice, some established players should have a "players-only" meeting to discuss what happen last year. The leaders will emerge by demanding those returning players (including themselves) to look in the mirror and ask, "what do I need to do this year to make this team win?" It starts with accountability, because the kids can tell the phony leaders from the real ones by those who point the finger at the most painful sources in order to get better; to wit, THEMSELVES. And in the case of the 2013 Eaters, it wasn't the fault of the coaching staff. The coaches didn't make key defensive errors (more mental than physical); failed to get the clutch hit, or failed to pitch to anyone's expectation. D-1 baseball is adult fun time not post Little League travel ball, and success begins with self-accountability and hard work, problem-solving, NOT finger-pointing, seriousness, not gimmicks. WELCOME TO FALL PRACTICE WHERE ALL DREAMS OF OMAHA BEGIN!

This post was edited on 9/15 1:32 PM by 2Bulldogs

10. USD'84

USD'84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

USDTORERO09

Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious about Holder's footwork and if he has the quickness to get to grounders up the middle. I want the infield to be airtight!

I like the projected starting lineup. My only question mark is for right field. Ryan Kirby might be the guy or maybe one of the returning players will outwork everyone else.

11. USD'84

USD'84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

2Bulldogs,

You make some valid points. Check out this year's group when they come up to Irvine. The Big Bopper is gone, but we should have a very solid team.

Good luck to the Anteaters!

I'll be logging in to the new College Baseball Talk forum as toreros14. See you there!

12. usdbaseballnut

usdbaseballnut New Member
    Expand Collapse

Re: College Baseball 2014

I am following up on a post by 2bulldogs about USD baseball performance during Head Coach Hill's tenure. I am an avid fan of USD baseball, but I am very frustrated by the lack of performance by Hill's teams when it comes to post season play.

Every year since I can remember, USD gets major talent in recruiting and has been to the post season many times, but only the regionals. This year, they didn't even make it to the conference championship, much less the regionals. The talent Hill has gets is unbelievable every year. Kris Bryant last year, wow! This year same thing. Over the past years, Hill always gets AFLAC all-americans. BUT where is the post season performance? Non-existent.

I think Hill has had more than enough time to make at least one super regional, especially with the talent he has every year.
    I hate to say it, but USD baseball needs new blood at the top spot. Hill is never going to make it to Omaha which is inexcusable after all these years and wins during the regular season. They need someone who can get them to the finish line- Omaha.

USDbaseballnut

13. 2Bulldogs

Expand Collapse

All that can possibly be said about Coach Hill has been said. It is apparent that the powers that be accept the Toreros' program "as is". That was sure a lot to spend on a complex for that, "as is". So be it.

By the way, I think you should think in terms of smaller steps under the present regime than "Omaha". How about getting through a Regional.

14. usdbaseballnut

usdbaseballnut New Member
    Expand Collapse

Good point! USDBaseballnut

15. TheRoosterGuru

TheRoosterGuru Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Chad Holbrook is running South Carolina into the mud. We missed the regionals for the first time in 17 years and if we don't make them this season Tanner has really got to make a move.