ADVERTISEMENT

College Baseball

I explained this...The problem was, the runner was NEVER in the runners lane. The rule gives the umpire discretion IF the runner is in the lane, then swerves to get to the base. As long as your foot is ON the line; does not have to be INSIDE the running lane, you are fine. OU runner was outside of the running lane the last 10-20 feet, if ever in it to begin with. And with interference, it doesn't matter if there is a chance or not(to get runner(s) out.
Thabks for ur explanation, still a stupid rule in my book lol.

Ball is immediately dead with interference---No runners shall advance , unless forced.
I understand the rule, i just think its stupid. Like i said runner interfere was the only possible scenario that cpuld have kept the run on the board. But again i understand the rule, just think its dumb. Call the interfering runner out, sure, but why the others have to return to the base they started on, esp when the fiy on third could have moonwalked home, is just a stupid rule imo. I could ubderstand if the batter did an arod and tried to swipe the ball away from the fielder, but not bc dude was 6-8 inches outside his “running lane”

I understand the rule, i just think its stupid. Like i said runner interfere was the only possible scenario that cpuld have kept the run on the board. But again i understand the rule, just think its dumb. Call the interfering runner out, sure, but why the others have to return to the base they started on, esp when the fiy on third could have moonwalked home, is just a stupid rule imo. I could ubderstand if the batter did an arod and tried to swipe the ball away from the fielder, but not bc dude was 6-8 inches outside his “running lane”
Its a rule that needs tweaked. Sort of like obstruction; its a delayed dead ball, and runner(s) are only protected to the base you feel they would have made. Interference is a bit trickier though. If you don't make it immediately dead, return runners, then you could see teams purposely interfere with fielders, to their benefit.

Example: Runners at 2nd and 3rd, one out..Hard hit ball to the SS, and runner at 2nd purposely runs into the SS to prevent him from throwing runner at 3rd out(at home). In a scenario where ONLY the runner causing the interference is out, that runner at 3rd scores. I mean umpires do have the discretion to call both out, but you rarely see that, except in a double play scenario, where the runner AND the batter are both out. So now all that does is create more subjective judgement---WOuld the runner at 3rd have scored? WOuld he have been thrown out? How do we know if he would have been, b/c there's no guarantee the SS makes a good throw to the plate.

And tht is the purpose of the rule---to keep teams from doing just that.

@IUfanBorden you should check that Nolan doc. Very good stuff for baseball fans.

Catcher comes out "Nolan how are you doing",

"Better than the POS in the bullpen get off my mound".

very good stuff.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT