College Baseball "Blue Bloods"

Discussion in 'College Baseball Clubhouse' started by zafzo, Jun 4, 2018.

1. zafzo

zafzo Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

After watching some great(and crazy) hardball this weekend I'm wondering who everyone thinks the college baseball blue bloods are? I randomly saw this old article(https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-baseball-blue-blood-omaha) from last year and just laughed because of those 8 in the field, I only see LSU and CSF as true blue bloods. FSU is right there on the edge, just need to win it all a few times. Off the top of my head I would go like this :

1. Texas
    2. USC
    3. Arizona State
    4. Miami
    5. LSU
    6. Cal State-Fullerton
    7. Arizona

I won't argue if someone wants to put USC ahead of Texas because they have twice the CWS titles but I went with Texas because of all time win %(shockingly USC is pretty far down), USC hasn't really been relevant in baseball since the early 70s, and of course a bit of homerism.

I also wouldn't argue any sort of reordering of 3 through 6 either. I know LSU fans won't like my ordering but it's only because LSU has only been relevant relatively recently. Yes, I'm old so the mid 80s are "relatively" recently. I'm actually a big fan of old school LSU gorilla ball and loved watching them except when they beat Texas in 2009. So if you want to put them at 3, I'm cool with that. I think Texas and USC are no question 1 and 2 whichever order you choose.

It would be good to see USC get back to some success and more post season appearances.

2. TheRoosterGuru

TheRoosterGuru Moderator
    Expand Collapse

South Carolina is tied for ninth in overall national titles and third in the nation in win percentage at the CWS all time.

A consistent powerhouse since the 1970s

32 NCAA tourney Appearances
    18 Super Regional Appearances
    11 CWS Appearances
    6 National title Appearances
    4 runner ups
    2 National champs

I think SCAR makes the top 10 programs of all time. I'd put them at about 8th or 9th.

1stB12Champs and chickenscratch like this.
  3. Blanton2020

Blanton2020 Member
    Expand Collapse

In the sense of being a "blue blood," and being 100% unbiased, I'd put Texas at the top of the list based on the concept of longevity. USC obviously has the most championships, but the college baseball landscape has adjusted to USC more than likely not ever getting back to their golden age because of scholarship restrictions. Looking at Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton, and even UCLA; there's a trend where players are going to more affordable colleges because of scholarship restrictions.

USC has a championship from 1998, but this is an anomaly in respect to their unquestioned dominance of the 60's and 70's. I think such a stark drop-off between the "glory days" and their 1998 championship means that they sure as hell are top 4 all-time, it's just that USC's name is not synonymous with college baseball anymore.

I think a school that should get some consideration for Top 5 would be Arizona State on account of their ability to win championships spanning multiple decades and also being a great baseball state. The SEC has done a good job of erasing college baseball history from the West Coast, but the programs on the West Coast deserve some praise and I think a lot of that is lost to the SEC's dominance of the sport now and in the foreseeable future.

My list would be some kind of ranking based from this pool:

Miami

Texas

USC

LSU

Arizona State

Arizona

Cal State Fullerton

4. roadkinglsu

roadkinglsu New Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking modern college baseball or all time? LSU(I am biased) ushered in the popularity of college baseball. They have been a top tier program for the last 30+ years. For ranking purposes I would look at post season play and overall win % during the last 40 years. Anything past that is irrelevant IMO. That’s like calling Ole Miss a football blue blood since they were relative in the 60’s.

5. SheriffBufordTJustice

SheriffBufordTJustice Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

LSU fans are funny

Miss State had a baseball program in the 1980's even before LSU.
    Bama was good in the 1980's as well.

LSU should be thanking Texas for CBB.
    College Baseball entered Louisiana fr Texas
    Have to give you credit that you beat Aggy in the Super Regional.
    That Super Regional truthfully gave birth to College Baseball at LSU.
    But a lot of this happened because of how serious college baseball was in the SWC and at the University of Texas AT Omaha.

Texas is the bluest of Bluebloods in college baseball and it is not even close

Other Bluebloods
    Miami
    Arizona St
    USC
    S Carolina
    LSU

Cal St Fullerton is a borderline same as Arizona.

BringBackRoyal likes this.
  6. beagle52

beagle52 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You could put oklahoma st & unc in it too

JAY45 likes this.
  7. JAY45

JAY45 New Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Oklahoma State has won 31 conference championships in baseball, as well as 19 conference tournament championships, as of June 1, 2015. The Cowboys have also earned 41 NCAA Tournament bids (fourth most all-time) and have played in 20 College World Series (sixth most all-time), including seven straight from 1981–87, with their lone national championship coming in 1959.[2] OSU ranks sixth in all-time win percentage among all Division I programs, with an all-time record of 2,513–1,266–4 (.665).

College Baseball Player of the 90s (Ventura)
    College Baseball Player of the Century (Incaviglia)

8. wrbchWolfPack81

wrbchWolfPack81 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

UNC got stomped out last night. Hard.

9. Vandysecurity

Vandysecurity New Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This board is ridiculous!!! Blue bloods???

billyvongontard and Friedas_Boss like this.
  10. TazluvNoles

TazluvNoles New Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, if you are considering college baseball bluebloods are programs that have won national titles I can argue for all the above teams listed. The true blue blood never win a title is FSU. 42 consecutive trips to the NCAA tournament, 26 trips to the CWS without a title ( most trips w/o winning the title and the next closest is 12 trips). Arkansas, Auburn and Miss State can join this list of blue bloods also.

11. billyvongontard

billyvongontard Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]
    1. Vanderbilt
    2. Vanderbilt
    3. Vanderbilt
    4. Vanderbilt
    5. Vanderbilt