ADVERTISEMENT

I was right the first time.

Ha. Fair enough. I'm just not ready to believe the fall will be THAT bad. Hope, hope.

I just think it's readily apparent Hubert ain't the answer.

in fact, I think I will bump this thread once daily.

lets start with this one.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I thought OP was the only one calling Hubert Davis' head, but browsing the first few posts made me realize that there were a lot more UNC fans who made quick judgment. Its interesting though, but personally I dont think one good or bad year is enough to tell the quality of a head coach. This is just Hubert Davis' first year, give him 5 years and see how he performs during this entire time period and then you understand the big picture.

Things are looking very bright for him right now thanks to this deep tournament run and a highly likely final 4 trip, but fans can have short memories so we will see how things change when they are pre-season top 5 with expectation to win it all. I used to think USC gamecocks should've given Frank Martin a lifetime contract, but instead they sacked him. Crazy that final 4 trip was just, 5 years from now.

Now where are we on this?
200.gif

Well I think, a final 4 trip should give Hubert Davis at least 5 years of time. UNC aint the same before 2017, I believe their fans have settled for mediocrity and Davis just needs to take them consistently to round of 32 and sweet 16 to keep his job.

My how the tables have turned😂 Earlier in this thread it was said by the UNC fans that not very many UNC fans wanted Hubert and now they’re loving him😂 And here I thought that only UK fans done this kinda stuff.

He just doesn't really know what he is doing, which is reasonable since he has never done it before. He doesn't know how to handle the media, get the guys to run an offense, get them to guard someone on defense, handle the bench, handle the starters, deal with PT all around, set and handle expectations, etc... I almost think he is too nice of a guy for the job. He seems to care about a lot of things a lot more than basketball and that really isn't the case with better coaches/players, certainly not the best.

Don't care.

It isn't happening but is very clear he doesn't know what he is doing.

He gets waxed by any decent team they play. Defense really doesn't even resemble anything approaching competence. Sometimes they get lucky and teams miss. He admitted he doesn't scout teams anyway so it's no surprise he would do something as dumb as put Bacot on Paulo. He doubled down on it after the game so will probably do it again the next game. Offense is guys dribbling around chucking it. Luckily they are sometimes hot and make a bunch of shots though. The few times they were pressed it looked like they had never practiced it before.

He already has had a student missing because of grades and another who went home and isn't coming back.

I honestly think he just forgets. I can't think of any other reasonable explanation.

Again, we all know it was an awful hire. The only people arguing otherwise here are not UNC fans. They haven't looked like a competent team all year. Now and then they have guys who run isolation and get hot and that masks how awful they are.

He doesn't know anything about coaching, which is kind of the point. There are two examples late of why you don't hire a guy with no experience.

1. UNC doesn't want to run clock. Pitt does. UNC scores and sets up to press and looks at the ball sitting there between their legs like it is a cucumber and they are ****** cat scared of it. Pick it up and give it to the ref so he can start he count. The clock is running Hubert. But they haven't gone over things like this because those are things you learn when you coach for a few years.

2. Half court trap and UNC has two guys trapping two guys out front while the other three just stay on their man. So those three Pitt players don't move and Capel, who is an awful but at least an experienced coach, looks on incredulously like 'WTF are this UNC dudes doing'. So they just pass the ball back and forth and UNC is confused on why whatever the hell they are doing isn't working.

Those are just the two easiest that come to mind. You learn that crap coaching. Then you come to UNC.

Probably but he tends to freak out in games IMO. He forgets to sub and tends to not realize what is going on situationally. I

This may sound crappy but I also think he cares too much about the person. Great coaches care of course but they care more about winning. I think Hubert cares more about being nice to guys and caring about them as people than winning. Can't have that.

They always do exactly what the other team wants. Then Hubert just whines about the team not playing hard enough or else talks about how they are all HOF players destined for greatness.

My how the tables have turned😂 Earlier in this thread it was said by the UNC fans that not very many UNC fans wanted Hubert and now they’re loving him😂 And here I thought that only UK fans done this kinda stuff.
Yeah the tables have turned, but fans tend to have short memories anyway. USC gamecocks just sacked Frank Martin who took them to final 4 just 5 years ago, and lets not forget Kevin Ollie from UConn. UNC next season will have a lot more expectations, its another story when the pressure is on. With this being said, I do believe that a final 4 trip buys Hubert Davis at least 5 more years. Beyond that, we will see.

Last edited:
I have mentioned all sorts of reasons I didn't like the hire. I always said I hoped to be wrong as well. I still hope to be wrong. This year has had a great finish so far. I hope to be wrong going forward as well.

Lots of those things I said weren't really too far off at the time either. There were things we did horribly. In this tournament we have done most things quite well though.

I was wrong about Hubert this year for sure. I did not think they could put together a sustained run like this. I love it as well. I'll keep complaining about him if it means we do the same thing next year. But if you follow me much, and you 71 clearly do, I am generally negative about all of my teams so I'll probably continue to doubt us.

Yo UNC fans imagine if you had someone like a Jeff Capel or even Jason Capel sitting next to this guy. You guys would be unstoppable.

• Haha
Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Hell of a coach.
Uconn fans were saying the same thing about Ollie
UM fans were saying the same thing about Fisher
UK fans were saying the same thing about Tubby

the track records of coaches that win the championship in their first year is not on his side

you may be better off losing

• Haha
Reactions: Ticket2ride06
Uconn fans were saying the same thing about Ollie
UM fans were saying the same thing about Fisher
UK fans were saying the same thing about Tubby

the track records of coaches that win the championship in their first year is not on his side

you may be better off losing

We're not worried about trends, track records and all that nonsense. We live in the now and worry about the future when it gets here.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Winning or losing UNC could give Davis a one year deal each year and he would still be UNCs coach no matter who offered more incl the NBA.

Not many places have that kind of appeal to a coach. Duke probably in the same situation.

Not talking about old coaches like Miami and Syracuse have but those with a decent part of their career left

No reason to pay him big bucks or extend too far out when it's unnecessary.

It will be interesting to see how the transfer market goes. This run has to help the appeal he has when recruiting.

On January 22nd I wanted this dude run out the building. 10 weeks later I'd like to canonize him. lol
He seemed over his head my man, the concerns were fair. A couple may have thrown in the towel a little early on it but it's not like he had y'all in the T10 all year.

Reactions: 829305
Lots of people ate their words in this thread.

Hubert has some of Roy’s weaknesses. In particular he holds onto his timeouts way too long.

But he seems to have his strengths too. This team turned it around in the face of controversy, never quit, and his team played with energy and confidence. I also like the fact that they improves so much defensively, that shows a coach who can teach. He’s going to get there again and win it eventually.

Also, I think we might see more teams like Carolina in the near future. With the transfer portal in place with its new rules, there are going to be teams that were good but could be very good with a few extra pieces. Those teams might lose games early as they learn to mesh the pieces together before they’re a finished product, but by season end could be a completely different team. They’re different than freshmen in that they’re already developed and capable of major contributions but simply need to be integrated and learn to play with their new team, no freshmen jitters or learning curve.

She’s actually pretty awesome. Probably loves the Heels as much as we do. Took me to my first game to see em in ‘92(?) @ Purdue. Will text me for the game channel at least once a week. You’d probably like her.
She's regretting that shit since Hubert took over.

• Haha
Reactions: 829305
It feels like they are a little further down the rabbit hole with resume this year than they were this time of the year last year. Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: UNC71-00
ADVERTISEMENT