ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Fn K

Jul 6, 2007
So I live in a town of about 15,000 folks in central Illinois. Our local high school basketball coach recently was diagnosed w a brain tumor. And it’s not the type you want, as if you want any. He had a successful surgery, but we won’t really know much for awhile.

Anyway, he received a call from Coach K the other day. K called and talked to him for almost 30 minutes. Asked about his tumor. Told him we’re all a fraternity of coaches and that they have some of the best medical facilities in the world at Duke. Gave him his personal phone number and told him to call if he ever needs anything. Also, said he’ll be sending tickets for Duke’s game in Chicago and hopes to meet with him there and talk further. Pretty unreal. Turns out a Duke fan sent him a letter. And, K was very knowledgeable of our program. Knew about kid we have in the NBA and another that played at Indiana.

Props to K. Even as a Carolina fan, I’ll say K is the shit. Much respect. Anyway, thought it was a cool story. Dukies should be proud.

Last edited:
There are lots of wonderful stories about there about a lot of coaches. Coaches often do tend to come from the same cloth as people like teachers, and people do tend to be good about reaching out to others.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I'm amazed at how K does this. This isn't the first time. He's got a network of informants like Varys. He finds out about everything. And then he makes the time for a really nice personal connection like that. Just last week he called my youngest to console him about not being in the same class as his best friend and gave him some tips about how to maximize the speed of his toy trains. And the week before that, he texted my older daughter to remind her to take the cookies out of the oven in 3 minutes because she forgot to start the timer. It's like he has several clones of himself. I imagine his daily schedule includes things like this:
8:17:03 am- take phone J (pre-dialed) from secretary B with right hand
8:17:11 am- take phone K (pre-dialed) from secretary C with left hand on second ring from phone J
8:17:12 am- ask secretary C how her dog (Schnitzel) is doing after Lasik
8:17:14 am- begin conversation on phone J
8:17:16 am- start foot-written letter congratulating mayor pro-tem of Brattleboro, Vt on birth of first grandchild with right foot. Use gender-neutral pronouns (this will be important later!).

I don't know as much about other coaches, but I trust there are many w/ similar attributes.

Very nice to hear. I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to be a coach of a big-time program (any college or pro program really). Coaches don't have much free time for their own family let alone someone elses.
Jeez, as much time as these coaches spend on recruiting alone is ridiculous. I don't know how they have time for much of anything else really.

Reactions: Quavarius
Very nice to hear. I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to be a coach of a big-time program (any college or pro program really). Coaches don't have much free time for their own family let alone someone elses.
Jeez, as much time as these coaches spend on recruiting alone is ridiculous. I don't know how they have time for much of anything else really.

Bob Stoops was smart and retired while still relatively young.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I'm amazed at how K does this. This isn't the first time. He's got a network of informants like Varys. He finds out about everything. And then he makes the time for a really nice personal connection like that. Just last week he called my youngest to console him about not being in the same class as his best friend and gave him some tips about how to maximize the speed of his toy trains. And the week before that, he texted my older daughter to remind her to take the cookies out of the oven in 3 minutes because she forgot to start the timer. It's like he has several clones of himself. I imagine his daily schedule includes things like this:
8:17:03 am- take phone J (pre-dialed) from secretary B with right hand
8:17:11 am- take phone K (pre-dialed) from secretary C with left hand on second ring from phone J
8:17:12 am- ask secretary C how her dog (Schnitzel) is doing after Lasik
8:17:14 am- begin conversation on phone J
8:17:16 am- start foot-written letter congratulating mayor pro-tem of Brattleboro, Vt on birth of first grandchild with right foot. Use gender-neutral pronouns (this will be important later!).

I don't know as much about other coaches, but I trust there are many w/ similar attributes.
Yeah, but admit your daughter asked Roy to do it first.

Occasionally bad people do good things, and good people--bad things. Coach Kay belongs to the former group.

So I live in a town of about 15,000 folks in central Illinois. Our local high school basketball coach recently was diagnosed w a brain tumor. And it’s not the type you want, as if you want any. He had a successful surgery, but we won’t really know much for awhile.

Anyway, he received a call from Coach K the other day. K called and talked to him for almost 30 minutes. Asked about his tumor. Told him we’re all a fraternity of coaches and that they have some of the best medical facilities in the world at Duke. Gave him his personal phone number and told him to call if he ever needs anything. Also, said he’ll be sending tickets for Duke’s game in Chicago and hopes to meet with him there and talk further. Pretty unreal. Turns out a Duke fan sent him a letter. And, K was very knowledgeable of our program. Knew about kid we have in the NBA and another that played at Indiana.

Props to K. Even as a Carolina fan, I’ll say K is the shit. Much respect. Anyway, thought it was a cool story. Dukies should be proud.

Im sure there are more stories out there about Coach K that we’ll never know about because he won’t tell it. Major props for this post! Good deeds should be recognized!

ADVERTISEMENT