ADVERTISEMENT

Clearly Bagley has been a cancer to the Duke squad

Matt Laurer

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2017
Its a Allen vs Bagley thing at this moment. Who does K defer to? They can’t coexist, that much is evident.

Dakich said as much tonight

I did agree with Crean tonight when he said Bagley effects the flow too much high lo action with Bagley and carter jr

Bagley is the second most efficient player in the country - behind only Jock Landale. I will concede that he struggles with the man-to-man defense at times, frequently getting beat on back cuts. But Duke is now fully embracing the zone defense, which I believe will help Bags when he returns. He's not an Achilles heel to the offense - we were the #2 rated offense with Bagley in the lineup.

Grayson has certainly been more aggressive lately, and we need that. We're 20-1 when he scores in double figures. You can argue that Grayson is more passive when Bagley is playing, and maybe that hurts his confidence. I just know that I would take Bagley 100 times out of 100, if healthy. Our title aspirations are infinitely more realistic with him in the lineup.

Reactions: SAZdds
One thing is clear to me - Wendell Carter is a better overall player than Bagley.

Wendell Carter is SO damned good... slowly becoming by favorite-ever big man at Duke, and that's INSANE for a OAD.

It’s never about what Dakich says, it’s how he says it.

I don’t think it’s a bad problem to have, given Duke’s roster, but I think MB will have to deliver when Duke plays teams with talented, athletic guards in the tourney. That’s usually when Allen struggles.

Jesus, you sound like my wife. She says that about me all the time, and I have fvcking clue what she’s talking about.

She means “you sound like a dick”.

Perfect example, Dakich had two Kentucky games last week. Hamidou Daillo played terrible, as usual. Dakich pointed it out, adding quips like “Now Daillo is an NBA guy, or at least he thinks he is”, chuckling over the mic after he said it. Is he wrong? No. Is he an ass for mocking a teenager on a national broadcast? Likely.

Again, he’s usually right, but it’s the implied condescension that gets under people’s skin.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Then just tell me I sound like a dick. That I can understand. This cryptic bullshit, “it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it,” doesn’t work for me.

Oh for sure, it’s also woman code for “I don’t like what you said, so I’m going to get mad anyway”, but that’s a different story.

At the end of the day, your wife didn’t average 2 PPG in college, run a MAC team into the ground, and then resurface, acting like God’s gift to college basketball, so she’s got that going for her.

Reactions: npreston
Oh for sure, it’s also woman code for “I don’t like what you said, so I’m going to get mad anyway”, but that’s a different story.

At the end of the day, your wife didn’t average 2 PPG in college, run a MAC team into the ground, and then resurface, acting like God’s gift to college basketball, so she’s got that going for her.
Laughing

That, and she’s got great tits. So, yea. I lose arguments all the fvckin time.

Reactions: Hank_
Then just tell me I sound like a dick. That I can understand. This cryptic bullshit, “it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it,” doesn’t work for me.
28277207_1958883837459692_8247899432546208896_n.jpg

I thank God every day that Dakich left WVU after less than a week on the job

Hired Beilein and then Huggs. Talk about upgrades.

One thing is clear to me - Wendell Carter is a better overall player than Bagley.
I think it's neck and neck. Wendell Carter is going to go down as the most underrated player I've watched, because of Bagley.

He's incredible. And does so without requiring the ball, which really compliments Allen.

I think it's neck and neck. Wendell Carter is going to go down as the most underrated player I've watched, because of Bagley.

He's incredible. And does so without requiring the ball, which really compliments Allen.

I honestly think Carter might be the best big we've ever had... certainly as a freshman he is.

I honestly think Carter might be the best big we've ever had... certainly as a freshman he is.

If your other big man had the talent to put Carter in the shadows, then your other big man is probably better.

If your other big man had the talent to put Carter in the shadows, then your other big man is probably better.

Ehhh... Just because the casual fan and the media focus on something doesn't mean it is necessarily true.

Don't get me wrong... Bagley is amazing, Jah was incredible... and I know this sounds a bit counterintuitive... but in terms of all around game... defense, passing, post game, outside shooting... I'm not convinced we've had one better as a freshman than Wendell.

Ehhh... Just because the casual fan and the media focus on something doesn't mean it is necessarily true.

Don't get me wrong... Bagley is amazing, Jah was incredible... and I know this sounds a bit counterintuitive... but in terms of all around game... defense, passing, post game, outside shooting... I'm not convinced we've had one better as a freshman than Wendell.

I watch quite a bit. I watch a ton of basketball. Not what you'd probably consider a casual fan. I'm not talking about in the media, or on fan forums. On the court, Marvin Bagley's talent is superior to Carter's. It's apparent. Post game is definitely in favor of Bagley. Carter appears to be a superior defender.

One thing worth noting: Duke's offensive rebounding has gotten much, much worse overall without Bagley. He makes an absurd difference there, and it can be the difference in teams being really good, and elite. North Carolina rode that particular ability to a national championship. I'm inclined to believe that Duke just hasn't found the best way to use Bagley (and especially run Bagley and Carter together).

K is just out of his element when it comes to playing like that. Bagley gets injured, and he's able to play the way he likes to play again, so Duke looks different. The loss of Bagley definitely hurts at some capacity, it's just a matter of running into a particular team that exploits that void that Bagley's absence created.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
I watch quite a bit. I watch a ton of basketball. Not what you'd probably consider a casual fan. I'm not talking about in the media, or on fan forums. On the court, Marvin Bagley's talent is superior to Carter's. It's apparent. Post game is definitely in favor of Bagley. Carter appears to be a superior defender.

One thing worth noting: Duke's offensive rebounding has gotten much, much worse overall without Bagley. He makes an absurd difference there, and it can be the difference in teams being really good, and elite. North Carolina rode that particular ability to a national championship. I'm inclined to believe that Duke just hasn't found the best way to use Bagley (and especially run Bagley and Carter together).

K is just out of his element when it comes to playing like that. Bagley gets injured, and he's able to play the way he likes to play again, so Duke looks different. The loss of Bagley definitely hurts at some capacity, it's just a matter of running into a particular team that exploits that void that Bagley's absence created.
Carter is custom built for Roy’s system.

Reactions: heelpharm
I gotta agree with you on that but when they're both in there it seems like Duke shoots more 3's. With 2 horses like that your first option should be getting the ball inside.
There is a decent balance there when both are in. I do get what you are saying though and believe you definitely make a good point. I’d even throw Bolden in there as well. He has shown life after returning from his knee injury. Depending on the matchup I feel K does a good job mixing it up. It just happens that Duke is playing it’s best ball with Allen and Trent shooting more. Tonight aside...could have built a brick mansion tonight from 3.

Reactions: AWilli6995
K should man up and bench Bagley. He’s gonna cost him in the tourney.

K should at least try going smaller and playing one of Carter/Bagley at the same time in small doses. Seems like they could spell each other and you always have a low post to run the offense thru while the other rests.

Plus, smaller teams that can shoot and move well at the 4 cant exploit them defensively.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT