ADVERTISEMENT

Chet homgren is overrated…

I havent seen it yet either, but dudes bound to fill out some eventually, right.

At the moment i see a more athletic Shawn Bradley more than i see a young AD or KD(ridiculous high bar i know)

But Bradley had a decent nba career not like he was a total bum or washout. He is taller than chet though and the game was alot diff but also chet is obv more versatile scoring. I jist dont see how that frame can hold up, but im not rooting against the kid or nothin.

Why does he hate the weight room?

I’ll never understand people gifted with that kind of height and skill who refuse to pick up a weight once in a while.
Weights aren't gonna do him much good until he can pack on some lbs. There's nothing to build. 😆 I could eat like a horse at his age and not gain a pound, so I know how it is. I miss that metabolism, which unfortunately left along with my youth. Now I have no trouble gaining weight. :mad: The last thing that dude needs is to be in a caloric deficit. Plus he's still young and growing into that awkwardly lanky body.

Reactions: P.G.S. and cdbearde
Weights aren't gonna do him much good until he can pack on some lbs. There's nothing to build. 😆 I could eat like a horse at his age and not gain a pound, so I know how it is. I miss that metabolism, which unfortunately left along with my youth. Now I have no trouble gaining weight. :mad: The last thing that dude needs is to be in a caloric deficit. Plus he's still young and growing into that awkwardly lanky body.

Usually lifting weights comes with eating extra. He could drink a couple protein shakes and hit the squat rack. I don’t think there’s anybody who needs so many calories that they can’t physically eat them.

Last edited:
Isn't he just a freshman? I think he needs to add bulk, but he is talented. He will be fine in the NBA when he is ready to go.

Yelp some people just can't take on weight especially when they are as active as he is. Even though not 7', I was in a similar situation. Protein shakes, gallons of milk, ate every time I could while also hitting the weight room. I was about as tone as I could get but couldn't put on any more mass no matter what I tried.

Usually lifting weights comes with eating extra. He could drink a couple protein shakes and hit the squat rack. I don’t think there’s anybody who needs so many calories that they can’t physically eat them.
When Walter McCarty was at UK he was on a 10,000 calories a day and couldn't put on weight. I had the same problem in HS. I was a running back and couldn't gain a pound from my sophmore year through senior. I usually had a huge breakfast, 3 lunches and some cals before practice. The first year after HS I grew 2 more inches and went from 170 to 210. I lifted around 54000 lbs 3 times a week. Ran and swimmed a lot.

I think with some guys, like Chet and Walter, just takes more time. Damion Collins has gained 15 since coming to UK. He never lifted weights before. I hope we get him for another year. The guy is athletically gifted with good skills for just playing basketball for 3 years. Huge ceiling.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Currently has an effective field goal percentage of 71.1%. For comparison, Zion was at 70.8% a few years ago. I think he needs more touches. 8 field goal attempts a night is not enough for someone of his caliber.

Currently has an effective field goal percentage of 71.1%. For comparison, Zion was at 70.8% a few years ago. I think he needs more touches. 8 field goal attempts a night is not enough for someone of his caliber.
Agreed. He's 4th on the team right now in FG attempts and has only 1 more than Nembhard.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Anyone who thinks that Chet doesn’t deserve to be a top 3 pick is a moron. Who started this dumb thread again?

Anyone who thinks that Chet doesn’t deserve to be a top 3 pick is a moron. Who started this dumb thread again?

Thinking he's jealous that Chet is getting way more attention and love than Jabari Smith. To be fair, Jabari is a fine prospect. Could very easily be the #1 pick. But, it's not like Chet is chump change. He was the MVP of the FIBA World Championships. And his ceiling is ridiculously high.

When Walter McCarty was at UK he was on a 10,000 calories a day and couldn't put on weight. I had the same problem in HS. I was a running back and couldn't gain a pound from my sophmore year through senior. I usually had a huge breakfast, 3 lunches and some cals before practice. The first year after HS I grew 2 more inches and went from 170 to 210. I lifted around 54000 lbs 3 times a week. Ran and swimmed a lot.

I think with some guys, like Chet and Walter, just takes more time. Damion Collins has gained 15 since coming to UK. He never lifted weights before. I hope we get him for another year. The guy is athletically gifted with good skills for just playing basketball for 3 years. Huge ceiling.
He has room to throw in some PB&J sandwiches, imo. My guess is he’s never needed the muscle to do well on the basketball court, so he doesn’t lift much.

5,000 calories a day would likely do the trick. That’s roughly what an NFL defensive lineman would eat per day to maintain during the season. His basal metabolic rate isn’t higher than a Defensive End. 10,000 calories a day is world class strongman level.

He's not lighting it up from 3 at 30%. 66% from the 2. So so on free throws. Depends on where he's scoring his 2's whether he should get more shots. I imagine Few wants him to score off of rebounds as well. I don't see any problem with his stats and if its in the flow of the games even better. He needs to focus on defense. Blocking shots and rebounding. . I think Few knows what he is doing with him as far as development. They have good balance and good team chemistry. Zags are just not world beaters like everyone thought. Solid somewhere in the top 8-15.

He has room to throw in some PB&J sandwiches, imo. My guess is he’s never needed the muscle to do well on the basketball court, so he doesn’t lift much.

5,000 calories a day would likely do the trick. That’s roughly what an NFL defensive lineman would eat per day to maintain during the season. His basal metabolic rate isn’t higher than a Defensive End. 10,000 calories a day is world class strongman level.
I don't know if that's a good comparison. I mean NFL guys definitely have more muscle mass. But they're not fresh out of HS 7"1" either and severley under weight. Which burns more calories, guys with a lot more muscle mass or a boy trying to grow into a man's body. I'm not sure we'll see the real Chet for another 3-4 years.

He's not lighting it up from 3 at 30%. 66% from the 2. So so on free throws. Depends on where he's scoring his 2's whether he should get more shots. I imagine Few wants him to score off of rebounds as well. I don't see any problem with his stats and if its in the flow of the games even better. He needs to focus on defense. Blocking shots and rebounding. . I think Few knows what he is doing with him as far as development. They have good balance and good team chemistry. Zags are just not world beaters like everyone thought. Solid somewhere in the top 8-15.
As @RR30 mentioned, he's shooting 83% from 2. FG% also includes 3-point attempts so that 66% is for all his shot attempts. Also, he has only attempted 23 3-pointers to this point, so not a good sample size.

I don't know if that's a good comparison. I mean NFL guys definitely have more muscle mass. But they're not fresh out of HS 7"1" either and severley under weight. Which burns more calories, guys with a lot more muscle mass or a boy trying to grow into a man's body. I'm not sure we'll see the real Chet for another 3-4 years.
Davis was the same way.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

His field goal percentage considering he shares the floor with another center is nuts. 30% from three can improve but makes teams respect him there. And he has a huge impact in the paint even when he's not blocking shots.

As @RR30 mentioned, he's shooting 83% from 2. FG% also includes 3-point attempts so that 66% is for all his shot attempts. Also, he has only attempted 23 3-pointers to this point, so not a good sample size.

It's still early but he's an elite play finisher plus a game changer defensively while weighing about 7 pounds. Only watched about 2 games of theirs but I've been very impressed.

His field goal percentage considering he shares the floor with another center is nuts. 30% from three can improve but makes teams respect him there. And he has a huge impact in the paint even when he's not blocking shots.

It's still early but he's an elite play finisher plus a game changer defensively while weighing about 7 pounds. Only watched about 2 games of theirs but I've been very impressed.
Yeah, all the homers on HoB laughed and cussed at me when I said Holmgren is a more skilled and polished offensive player than Davis was as a freshman at UK. Proof that most of them are just dumb as shit (or they just can't stand the fact that someone is better at something than their GOD was).😆

Davis was the same way.
Yea but davis seemed quicker/faster/more agile/arhletic imo. But again the comparisons for the kid have been unfairly high and i havent seen them play but twice so super small sample size.

Yea but davis seemed quicker/faster/more agile/arhletic imo.
giphy.gif

Nobody even got around to mentioning 4 blocks per, which is probably T5 in nation. He could end up leading the nation in blocks. Throw in the shots he alters that become low %. And then a couple dumb 6-6 dudes that waste time trying to be heroes backing him down stalling an offense or even trying to dunk on him that get denied 99% of the time in some facet. His mere existence probably allows his teammates to make good gambles, clean up their defensive mistakes, and leak out on missed shots.

Yeah.

He will be T5 pick and make some coin. I love Smith, Banchero, and Ivey. This is a good draft up top maybe.

Yeah, all the homers on HoB laughed and cussed at me when I said Holmgren is a more skilled and polished offensive player than Davis was as a freshman at UK. Proof that most of them are just dumb as shit (or they just can't stand the fact that someone is better at something than their GOD was).😆

Oh he's definitely more skilled offensively than Davis. Not in the same realm defensively yet though. Never seen someone impact game plans more than him. Teams were afraid to get in the paint at all lol.

It's possible he's a bust in the nba. He's scrawny. I bet once he gets on a NBA regimen (ie roids) I expect him to fill out more and we'll see then.

Looked to me that they've been trying to ease him into things and let him pick his spots. I think they expected Nembhard to be more impactful than he's been thus far. My guess is Chet's role will expand as the season goes on.

Yes. The dude will get broken like a twig in the nba with that body
What is he 19? Give Holmgren some time in their strength and conditioning program so he can add some weight and muscle. He has very good skills and you can’t teach length.

Nobody even got around to mentioning 4 blocks per, which is probably T5 in nation. He could end up leading the nation in blocks. Throw in the shots he alters that become low %. And then a couple dumb 6-6 dudes that waste time trying to be heroes backing him down stalling an offense or even trying to dunk on him that get denied 99% of the time in some facet. His mere existence probably allows his teammates to make good gambles, clean up their defensive mistakes, and leak out on missed shots.

Yeah.

He will be T5 pick and make some coin. I love Smith, Banchero, and Ivey. This is a good draft up top maybe.

Nobody? Yes I did

ADVERTISEMENT