ADVERTISEMENT

Champions Classic Predictions

schoonerwest

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2006
Midland, TX
Team
Kansas
It’s not too early for a prediction thread, is it?

Kansas 74
Duke 68

Dotson against Jones should be fun to watch. I’m not too excited about KU’s backcourt but I think Marcus Garrett will do a good job of defending Duke’s shooters. He’s got the experience for it. KU probably has the best frontcourt in the country this season so I think they’ll finally have a year that can play to Self’s strengths as a coach. Azubuike should be able to score at will if the guards do their job and get him the ball.

Michigan State 75
Kentucky 71

I don’t know much about either team. Cassius Winston will be the best player on the floor and be the leading candidate for NPOY. Just taking a guess but he will probably be the reason Michigan State wins this one. Experienced players always seem to step it up and make a difference in the Champions Classic.

UK-75
MSU-70

Cassius Winston plays well even though Hagans is elite defensively, as he has played elite defenders and done very well before. UK’s front court is too much. They get Tillman in foul trouble early and then we have to give heavy minutes to some inexperienced guys.

Kansas-79
Duke-71

The backcourts are relatively balanced, maybe slightly favoring Duke. Kansas has a far better front court. Matthew Hurt is great shooter but I think he will struggle against the men that Kansas will throw at him. Kansas’ frontcourt experience brings them the win.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It’s not too early for a prediction thread, is it?

Kansas 74
Duke 68

Dotson against Jones should be fun to watch. I’m not too excited about KU’s backcourt but I think Marcus Garrett will do a good job of defending Duke’s shooters. He’s got the experience for it. KU probably has the best frontcourt in the country this season so I think they’ll finally have a year that can play to Self’s strengths as a coach. Azubuike should be able to score at will if the guards do their job and get him the ball.

Michigan State 75
Kentucky 71

I don’t know much about either team. Cassius Winston will be the best player on the floor and be the leading candidate for NPOY. Just taking a guess but he will probably be the reason Michigan State wins this one. Experienced players always seem to step it up and make a difference in the Champions Classic.

MR_T_PAIN.png

I am very high on PJ Washington and losing him and his experience will hurt Kentucky early.
They have a solid squad but doesn't match up with Michigan State yet.

They need athletic length on the court that can switch positions who are ready to play and that was Washington.

KU 76 Duke 75 and UK 82 MSU 75. Mesugana st is a east coast media favorite and ALWAYS overrated.

KU 76 Duke 75 and UK 82 MSU 75. Mesugana st is a east coast media favorite and ALWAYS overrated.
Define "always overrated"...Could ya? Since 2010, they've been to three FF's...Won 4 Big 10 titles...Won 4 Big 10 tournament titles....6 SW 16's and 5 Elite 8's. Won 27 or more games, 8 times in that time frame.

I mean sure, they've had some not so good, NCAAT moments. And of late. But I mean, going to the FF 40% of the timer, the past 10 seasons...Winning the Big 10 at a 40% clip as well...Elite 8 half the time, and 60% clip at the SW 16...I mean, I don't see that as "always overrated." But hey, thats just me.

BTW--I don't think UK beats MSU in November. MOF, I'm not so sure its very close. MSU has a ton of experience---GOOD, battle tested experience. Talent is great. But.............

I'll go MSU 77-65.

Duke over KU, 68-64.

I’d be surprised if UK beats MSU by 10+
Really, really surprised. If they do...OH, man. I mean, MSU is very good, with solid exp. I mean, UK certainly has the talent. But, MSU is really good.

I am very high on PJ Washington and losing him and his experience will hurt Kentucky early.
They have a solid squad but doesn't match up with Michigan State yet.

They need athletic length on the court that can switch positions who are ready to play and that was Washington.
My thoughts. Now had PJ returned? Yikes. UK's gonna be good. I mean, when have they not been. But, I just think MSU to experienced. They not only have talent, but really good, experienced talent.

Define "always overrated"...Could ya? Since 2010, they've been to three FF's...Won 4 Big 10 titles...Won 4 Big 10 tournament titles....6 SW 16's and 5 Elite 8's. Won 27 or more games, 8 times in that time frame.

I mean sure, they've had some not so good, NCAAT moments. And of late. But I mean, going to the FF 40% of the timer, the past 10 seasons...Winning the Big 10 at a 40% clip as well...Elite 8 half the time, and 60% clip at the SW 16...I mean, I don't see that as "always overrated." But hey, thats just me.

BTW--I don't think UK beats MSU in November. MOF, I'm not so sure its very close. MSU has a ton of experience---GOOD, battle tested experience. Talent is great. But.............

I'll go MSU 77-65.

Duke over KU, 68-64.
I appreciate the Big Ten support, but I think we will struggle down low. Tillman is great, but if UK can get him in foul trouble, I really don’t know where we go. Thomas Kithier is our backup 5. Look, I’m on the Kithier train just as much as the next guy, and believe he will be good 4 year player, but I think he would struggle against their 5 stars.

Teams with good post players and good post depth will be our Achilles heel, unless one ormultiple players from our post group step up. I think we probably lose to Kansas in Maui for this reason.

Out of curiosity, why are so many people picking UK to beat MSU? Faith in returning players improving, or the freshmen? I just don't see it happening early in the season.
The reasons mentioned above about the bigs, but I also tend to always convince myself MSU will lose their big non conference games early in the season so when they do I won’t be disappointed. So maybe a little reverse bias on my part. Cassius Winston is very good at basketball.

Reactions: Global Havok
I appreciate the Big Ten support, but I think we will struggle down low. Tillman is great, but if UK can get him in foul trouble, I really don’t know where we go. Thomas Kithier is our backup 5. Look, I’m on the Kithier train just as much as the next guy, and believe he will be good 4 year player, but I think he would struggle against their 5 stars.

Teams with good post players and good post depth will be our Achilles heel, unless one ormultiple players from our post group step up. I think we probably lose to Kansas in Maui for this reason.
Nothing to do with "B10 support". I just think MSU is going to be really good. So will UK. I just don't think UK will be at MSU's level in November. Plus, you guys seemingly always have that one guy that just transforms ....I think that guy is Tillman. Not to mention, MSU's just has a ton returning, off a really good team. UK has their share of returnee's...but IMO nothing like MSU.

Kentucky needs length on the perimeter to keep Michigan St in check.
I don't see it and they are too inexperience in the Backcourt. Michigan St guards are going to have too much space to create plays.

Regarding Michigan St and bigs.
I don't think that is ever a concern for Izzo. Only time I have seen them overmatch is when they are young in the Backcourt.

Michigan St may not be the best team come March but they will be early and are easily the best team on paper.

Nothing to do with "B10 support". I just think MSU is going to be really good. So will UK. I just don't think UK will be at MSU's level in November. Plus, you guys seemingly always have that one guy that just transforms ....I think that guy is Tillman. Not to mention, MSU's just has a ton returning, off a really good team. UK has their share of returnee's...but IMO nothing like MSU.
That’s fair. I would bet 5 star players stuck on the bench like EJ Montgomery will take a bigger step than a guy like Kithier. If Tillman can stay out of foul trouble completely I think we will win, but I don’t see that happening.
I really really hope you are right and I am wrong though haha.

Also, don’t expect Josh Langford to be back fully healthy for the start of the season. He just started playing again after months off. We may have to play Rocket Watts heavy minutes, who I think would struggle to defend UK’s quick guards.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think it's very difficult, for me, to predict how either Duke or Kentucky will perform. Both rely on freshmen to play big roles and there's no way to predict how that turns out, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Kentucky will have its second most experienced back court since Cal’s been here, which is kind of crazy to believe. They are battle tested and all dogs on both ends of the floor. If Michigan State has an advantage early in the year, it will be at the 3 or 4 spot.

Kentucky needs length on the perimeter to keep Michigan St in check.
I don't see it and they are too inexperience in the Backcourt. Michigan St guards are going to have too much space to create plays.

Regarding Michigan St and bigs.
I don't think that is ever a concern for Izzo. Only time I have seen them overmatch is when they are young in the Backcourt.

Michigan St may not be the best team come March but they will be early and are easily the best team on paper.
I read stuff like this and question my on knowledge of UK.

• 0 Ashton Hagans G 6-3 198 So.
  • 1 Nate Sestina F 6-9 234 Gr.
  • 2 Kahlil Whitney F 6-6 210 Fr.
  • 3 Tyrese Maxey G 6-3 198 Fr.
  • 4 Nick Richards F 6-11 247 Jr.
  • 5 Immanuel Quickley G 6-3 188 So.
  • 10 Johnny Juzang G 6-6 214 Fr.
  • 11 Dontaie Allen G 6-6 200 Fr.
  • 12 Keion Brooks Jr. F 6-7 205 Fr.
  • 13 Riley Welch G 6-0 185 Jr.
  • 14 Brennan Canada F 6-6 198. Fr
  • 21 Zan Payne G/F 6-4 235 R-Fr.
  • 23 EJ Montgomery F 6-10 228 So.
Where are the short folks on the perimeter?

Hagans, Quickle at 6-3 are not that small. Juzang and Allen are big guards. Look at the length of the forwards. I do not see UK being a short team.

What am I missing?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I read stuff like this and question my on knowledge of UK.

• 0 Ashton Hagans G 6-3 198 So.
  • 1 Nate Sestina F 6-9 234 Gr.
  • 2 Kahlil Whitney F 6-6 210 Fr.
  • 3 Tyrese Maxey G 6-3 198 Fr.
  • 4 Nick Richards F 6-11 247 Jr.
  • 5 Immanuel Quickley G 6-3 188 So.
  • 10 Johnny Juzang G 6-6 214 Fr.
  • 11 Dontaie Allen G 6-6 200 Fr.
  • 12 Keion Brooks Jr. F 6-7 205 Fr.
  • 13 Riley Welch G 6-0 185 Jr.
  • 14 Brennan Canada F 6-6 198. Fr
  • 21 Zan Payne G/F 6-4 235 R-Fr.
  • 23 EJ Montgomery F 6-10 228 So.
Where are the short folks on the perimeter?

Hagans, Quickle at 6-3 are not that small. Juzang and Allen are big guards. Look at the length of the forwards. I do not see UK being a short team.

What am I missing?
heights doesn't even cover wingspans.

If MSU and Kansas are as good as predicted...they will have a massive showdown in the Maui Inv championship game...esp if they have huge early season wins under their belt against Duke and UK.

I think you're being a little too negative on MSU. UK has some talent, but most of it is unproven.

Their "bigs" - Montgomery and Richards, combined for 7.8ppg, 7.4rpg, and 0.7apg. Xavier Tillman alone averaged 10ppg, 7.3rpg, and 1.6apg. Obviously him getting into foul trouble would hurt us, but they are still somewhat unproven down low (especially Richards, who is already going into his 3rd year).

Khalil Whitney and Aaron Henry are comparable, with the edge to Henry for now. Or Keion Brooks, if he were to start.

Cash Winston vs. Hagans, edge to Cash. Hagans a great defender, and will cause some problems for Winston, but Winston is a Senior All-American for a reason.

Josh Langford vs.... Quickley? or Maxey? Langford may be rusty, but he's a former 5-star, and now a Senior. He has 3" over both of UK's probable starters at SG.

Their best returning 3pt shooter is Quickley at 34.5% last year. MSU has 4 guys who averaged higher than 37% returning, plus one of the best shooters in the 2019 class in Rocket Watts. And supposedly Malik Hall is a pretty decent shooter, as well.

UK definitely has a size / depth advantage down low, whereas MSU has the advantage on the wings. I think MSU's experience, especially this early in the season, gives them the edge of UK.

Reactions: MGC_07
I think you're being a little too negative on MSU. UK has some talent, but most of it is unproven.

Their "bigs" - Montgomery and Richards, combined for 7.8ppg, 7.4rpg, and 0.7apg. Xavier Tillman alone averaged 10ppg, 7.3rpg, and 1.6apg. Obviously him getting into foul trouble would hurt us, but they are still somewhat unproven down low (especially Richards, who is already going into his 3rd year).

Khalil Whitney and Aaron Henry are comparable, with the edge to Henry for now. Or Keion Brooks, if he were to start.

Cash Winston vs. Hagans, edge to Cash. Hagans a great defender, and will cause some problems for Winston, but Winston is a Senior All-American for a reason.

Josh Langford vs.... Quickley? or Maxey? Langford may be rusty, but he's a former 5-star, and now a Senior. He has 3" over both of UK's probable starters at SG.

Their best returning 3pt shooter is Quickley at 34.5% last year. MSU has 4 guys who averaged higher than 37% returning, plus one of the best shooters in the 2019 class in Rocket Watts. And supposedly Malik Hall is a pretty decent shooter, as well.

UK definitely has a size / depth advantage down low, whereas MSU has the advantage on the wings. I think MSU's experience, especially this early in the season, gives them the edge of UK.
You’re probably right. As I said, I like to convince myself we will lose early so I can’t be disappointed if we do haha.

I overestimated how good EJ and Richards were last year. Didn’t realize they both played that little.

I overestimated how good EJ and Richards were last year. Didn’t realize they both played that little.

They actually played a combined 27mpg, compared to Tillman's 24mpg. Richard's started all 37 games as a Freshman, then only started 3 games last season - and his stats dropped across the board.

Not saying they are no good especially since their playing time was limited by others last season, but Tillman is currently better than either of them. I'm not sure who we start at the 4 yet, probably Malik Hall - who will give up 2-3" to either of those guys and is younger. Rumors that Bingham is stepping up and he has the size (height / wingspan), but probably not the bulk. But those 2 bigs for UK are more down low players it seems, as Richards has never even attempted a 3 and Montgomery hit 2 of 10 last year. Maybe Hall / Bingham can run them out to the perimeter, to open up the lane (where both UK bigs seem to be good defenders).

Fortunately we'll find out soon enough.

I'll agree this is MSU's game to lose. Izzo, experience, talent. there's no reason for them to lose this game. They'd have to blow it. Preseason favorites, vegas favorites, etc. It would take an epic choke job. I'm just hoping UK keeps it respectable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT