ADVERTISEMENT

Champions Classic has become a joke, heres what needs to happen to save it

tourneytime18

Mar 14, 2018
The Champions Classic used to be a respected event, now you can't even mention it without people snickering and holding back extreme amounts of laughter.

What happened?

A dynasty happened, they thought they had all the champions when they started the Classic. They counted all the teams and said "yep, that's all of them, and thats all there will ever be". Only that's not what happened... not at all. A dynasty has emerged and the Villanova Wildcats are on the verge of winning 3 of the last 4 national titles. Its time to add them to the Classic before its too late.

Who do we take out?

This is a tough one, I thought about it for 3 weeks in a row, then I took a walk in the park and pondered who should.... wait, just kidding.... I thought about this for 3 seconds... Michigan State needs to go. I have no idea why they were there in the first place. Final Fours are not championships unless you are some kind of new age hippie.

UPDATE:

I can't reply, since this amazing site has a very generous post limit of 1. However, I see there has been an amazing outpouring of support for this post and the ideas it is proposing. We need to keep the positive momentum building so we can SAVE THE CLASSIC!

UPDATE 2:

It takes a special kind of stupid to compare tv ratings for CBS/ESPN with FOX and TBS but the fine gentlemen in this thread seem to have pulled that off.

Also, the nova Home board is on 24/7, not rivals, which is why there are no nova fans on this board.

Facts are fun, SAVE THE CLASSIC!

Last edited:
I think Villanova has definitely placed themselves in the top ten as far as programs go. The Champions Classis is and always has been a great night for college basketball fans. No need to change it.

after their first title it took Villanova 31 years to win their second title
they have had a great 3 year run winning two titles
if may be another 31 years before they have another run

study-finds-op-still-sucking-cock-on-a-regular-basis-22750859.png

OP just found a keyboard and the intranet for the first time.

What's the OPs definition of verge? To be fair they do have more titles than MSU and now tied with Kansas.

Nobody thinks it’s a joke. You just want Nova in it. That’s it.

Problem is.. 2 of the four schools you mentioned haven't done shit in 20 or more years.
Which 2, just Indiana right? UCLA has been to 3 Final 4s since 2000 and they won a national championship in 1995.

I don't think their fanbase is nearly as passionate as the other bluebloods but they still have the most championships all time.

Which 2, just Indiana right? UCLA has been to 3 Final 4s since 2000 and they won a national championship in 1995.

I don't think their fanbase is nearly as passionate as the other bluebloods but they still have the most championships all time.
No title in 23 years, haven't been to a final four in 10. They have one title since the 70's. Wouldn't trade any of the current teams in the CC for them.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
This thread seems to be a yearly occurrence. The reason those 4 teams were chosen has already been discussed, many times. UNC probably deserves a spot, but they can't be in it if Duke is in it. Nova is certainly a premiere team these last few years, but I don't think they draw the viewers that the Champions Classic wants.

Has Nova been in any top-10 most viewed regular season games, in any season? MSU is usually in at least 1-2. Duke, UNC, Kentucky are always in at least 2.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/11/champions-classic-ratings-duke-msu/

This year's national championship game was down a bit, the lowest rated and least watched championship ever since they started recording:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/ncaa-national-championship-ratings-villanova-michigan/

This thread seems to be a yearly occurrence. The reason those 4 teams were chosen has already been discussed, many times. UNC probably deserves a spot, but they can't be in it if Duke is in it. Nova is certainly a premiere team these last few years, but I don't think they draw the viewers that the Champions Classic wants.

Has Nova been in any top-10 most viewed regular season games, in any season? MSU is usually in at least 1-2. Duke, UNC, Kentucky are always in at least 2.

This year's national championship game was down a bit, the lowest rated and least watched championship ever since they started recording:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/ncaa-national-championship-ratings-villanova-michigan/

Reality: Villanova does not have a very interesting brand as a program.

I think more factors went into that than simply because it was 'Nova.

1) More people are streaming than ever
2) The game was a blowout
3) The game wasn't on CBS

Reality: Villanova does not have a very interesting brand as a program.
Plus they don't have the following. Take this board as an example. UK, Duke, KU, MSU clearly have a huge following. Here on a national board, where are the Nova fans? I see more fans of other teams propping them up against blue bloods than actual Nova fans themselves.

Plus everyone's forgetting the CBS Sports classic which includes UNC and UCLA. If anything replace OSU with some flavor of the month club member like Nova.

I think more factors went into that than simply because it was 'Nova.

1) More people are streaming than ever
2) The game was a blowout
3) The game wasn't on CBS

Definitely a factor, but it doesn't really help Nova's case that they also aren't in any Top-10 non-NCAAT games.

The BTT final Michigan vs. Purdue had 3.18m viewers, and that was down a bit from the previous 2 years BTT ratings.

Villanova vs. Providence Big East final garnered 1.5 million views, the best for the Big East Tournament in 5 years.

"The Big East final ranked just seventh among conference championship games, trailing the ACC (2.0, 3.4M), Big Ten (2.0, 3.2M), Big 12 (1.7, 2.9M), SEC (1.5, 2.6M), American Athletic (1.4, 2.1M) and — head-to-head — the Mountain West (1.0, 1.6M). It did beat the Pac-12 Tournament final on FS1, which had a mere 0.35 and 612,000."

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/big-ten-tournament-college-basketball-ratings/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/big-east-tournament-ratings-fox-villanova/

Here were the most watched non-NCAAT games this season:

UlzIiho.png

Reactions: MGC_07
Plus they don't have the following. Take this board as an example. UK, Duke, KU, MSU clearly have a huge following. Here on a national board, where are the Nova fans? I see more fans of other teams propping them up against blue bloods than actual Nova fans themselves.

Plus everyone's forgetting the CBS Sports classic which includes UNC and UCLA. If anything replace OSU with some flavor of the month club member like Nova.

Even their home boards are mostly dead in comparison.

UCLA, North Carolina, Indiana, and Nova should start their own preseason classic. These 4 teams combined have 25 national championships. The teams in the champions classic have won a combined 18 championships.

The CBS Sports Classic has Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, and Ohio State (25 combined national championships), and the Champions Classic is infinitely more exciting.
People like watching Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and Michigan State because those 4 schools have large followings, and the ones that aren't fans of those teams watch them for other reasons. They all have Hall of Fame coaches, they all currently have elite programs, they collectively have the best pool of NBA prospects and future stars, and the atmosphere is always exciting.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Definitely a factor, but it doesn't really help Nova's case that they also aren't in any Top-10 non-NCAAT games.

The BTT final Michigan vs. Purdue had 3.18m viewers, and that was down a bit from the previous 2 years BTT ratings.

Villanova vs. Providence Big East final garnered 1.5 million views, the best for the Big East Tournament in 5 years.

"The Big East final ranked just seventh among conference championship games, trailing the ACC (2.0, 3.4M), Big Ten (2.0, 3.2M), Big 12 (1.7, 2.9M), SEC (1.5, 2.6M), American Athletic (1.4, 2.1M) and — head-to-head — the Mountain West (1.0, 1.6M). It did beat the Pac-12 Tournament final on FS1, which had a mere 0.35 and 612,000."

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/big-ten-tournament-college-basketball-ratings/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/big-east-tournament-ratings-fox-villanova/

Here were the most watched non-NCAAT games this season:

UlzIiho.png

Team A vs Providence on Fox

vs

Purdue vs Michigan on CBS

I don't care who Team A is, that is not an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: tourneytime18
Team A vs Providence on Fox
vs

Purdue vs Michigan on CBS

I don't care who Team A is, that is not an apples to apples comparison.

4 of the Top-10 most viewed games this season were on ESPN. Nova had multiple games on ESPN this season, including a Top-12 matchup against Gonzaga in a primetime matchup for the Jimmy V Classic... and still failed to make the Top-10 most viewed games.

4 of the Top-10 most viewed games this season were on ESPN. Nova had multiple games on ESPN this season, including a Top-12 matchup against Gonzaga in a primetime matchup for the Jimmy V Classic... and still failed to make the Top-10 most viewed games.

I feel like if Villanova played a schedule vs multiple blue bloods they would have a top 10 viewed game or two. Comparing the draw of Villanova vs Kansas to Villanova vs Gonzaga isn’t fair, man.

I feel like if Villanova played a schedule vs multiple blue bloods they would have a top 10 viewed game or two. Comparing the draw of Villanova vs Kansas to Villanova vs Gonzaga isn’t fair, man.

That’s a Villanova issue. If they had a better brand, then they would probably not have to worry about that. I bet a Kentucky vs Gonzaga, Duke vs Gonzaga, or Kansas vs Gonzaga game would have a very, very good shot at landing in the top 10. They just don’t have a very interesting brand, and they have a pretty weak fan following.

That’s a Villanova issue. If they had a better brand, then they would probably not have to worry about that. I bet a Kentucky vs Gonzaga, Duke vs Gonzaga, or Kansas vs Gonzaga game would have a very, very good shot at landing in the top 10. They just don’t have a very interesting brand, and they have a pretty weak fan following.

I dont think that a MSU vs Gonzaga or Kansas vs Gonzaga game would have been top 10 in viewership last year.

Kentucky vs #7 West Virginia didn’t crack the top 10. Hell, one of the Duke vs UNC games barely did (#9).

ADVERTISEMENT