ADVERTISEMENT

Challenge: pick your all time starting 5, but no one from same decade

Not sure about Hansbrough but I bet Wilt never saw anything like this when he played.

images

vbFTMFt.gif

Wilt wasn’t very athletic.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I know reading isn’t your thing some times but it would be hard to make a roster full of guys from the 60’s and 70’s given the thread criteria. Yikes.

Ok, so I momentarily forgot about the criteria, but the point remains. I don’t think you’re arguing for UCLA at the top due to Westbrook or Kevin Love are you?

For Kentucky:
(I am saying John Wall doesn't count for 00s)

1. Rajon Rondo (00s)
2. Rex Chapman (80s)
3. Jamal Mashburn (90s)
4. Dan Issel (70s)
5. Anthony Davis (10s)

FSU:
PG - George McCloud (1980s)
SG - Sam Cassell (1990s)
SF - Michael Snaer (2010s)
PF - Al Thornton (2000s)
C - Dave Cowens (1960s)

That was a lot harder than I thought. Tough to leave Toney Douglas, Bob Sura, Jon Isaac, and Ron King off. Frankly, that right there is 4/5s of a pretty darn good team.

But I tried to actually put together a team that could play together and while it’s not quite as long as a standard Ham team, it’s hard to leave such clutch competitors as Cassell and Snaer off.

Ok, so I momentarily forgot about the criteria, but the point remains. I don’t think you’re arguing for UCLA at the top due to Westbrook or Kevin Love are you?

They still have produced talent throughout the years.
Don't know who you would pick for the 2000s.
But you have players pretty much from every decade to pick from since the 1960s.

Luc Mbah a Moute would be a player I think about giving them in the 2000s.
One of the best defensive players I have ever seen.
They already have scoring. Need a glue guy.

Reactions: GE Nole
Tbh I think UCLA is probably the right answer

Possibly. Especially if they're getting Alcindor and Walton, arguably the two best college players of all-time. However, you only get one center, right? So, if I'm understanding the rules correctly, UCLA actually couldn't have both guys. They still have lots of talent, no question.

I can think of a few players better to put around MJ for the 1990s than Vince.

Nothing against Vince but you would be wasting his talent putting him with Jordan.

Agreed. And UNC likes to play two bigs, so Antawn Jamison seems like the better fit. He was a better than Carter in college anyway.

LSU might be an interesting lineup to consider. Talent-wise, they have a legitimate claim to having the best five.

G: Chris Jackson (80's)
G: Pete Maravich (60's)
F: Ben Simmons (10's)
F: Bob Pettit (50's)
C: Shaquille O'neal (90's)

^ sports-reference lists Pettit as a forward, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't playing the 5 position. So I don't know if he'd qualify for that lineup. Maybe Glen "Baby" Davis as a replacement, if Pettit doesn't qualify.

Possibly. Especially if they're getting Alcindor and Walton, arguably the two best college players of all-time. However, you only get one center, right? So, if I'm understanding the rules correctly, UCLA actually couldn't have both guys. They still have lots of talent, no question.

Agreed. And UNC likes to play two bigs, so Antawn Jamison seems like the better fit. He was a better than Carter in college anyway.

LSU might be an interesting lineup to consider. Talent-wise, they have a legitimate claim to having the best five.

G: Chris Jackson (80's)
G: Pete Maravich (60's)
F: Ben Simmons (10's)
F: Bob Pettit (50's)
C: Shaquille O'neal (90's)

Do we have any UCONN fans?
UCONN would have an interesting starting 5 as well
Just finding someone before.the 80's could be a stretch

If we take all the players in their prime.
I only have one question about Wilt.

Can he play on the perimeter. Adjust his game. Especially if he played on defense.

If he could Wilt most likely score 30 than go in th crowd and find #20,001 and 20,002.

Reactions: MGC_07
Sounded like you were bragging about him dunking on Wilt.

Would be an interesting matchup.
Or even Vince against Bill Russell.
Oh I was. I doubt there’s many people on the planet that Vince couldn’t dunk on.
Doesn’t mean I’d put him on a “all time” Tar Heel list.

Oh I was. I doubt there’s many people on the planet that Vince couldn’t dunk on.
Doesn’t mean I’d put him on a “all time” Tar Heel list.

I don't think you ever really seen Bill Russell's athleticism
They showed you Wilt
But here is Russell's.
The athleticism in certain players from the 60-80's isn't much different than it is today.
Elvin Hayes, Julius Irving, Darryl Dawkins, Dominique Wilkins into Micheal Jordan.

From The Univ. of Florida,

60s: C: Neal Walk('69) --> 2nd player picked behind Lew Alcinder
80s: PG/SG: Vernon Maxwell ('88)
90s: PG: Jason Williams ('98)
00s: C/PF: Al Horford ('07) C: Joakim Noah('07), SF: Mike Miller('00), PF: David Lee('05), PF: Udonis Haslem ('02), etc.
10s: SG/SF: Bradley Beal

To recap,

PG: Jason Williams (aka "White Chocolate") - 90s (2006 NBA Champion, Miami Heat)
SG: Vernon Maxwell (aka "Mad Max") - 80s (1994, 1995 NBA Champs, Houston Rockets)
SF: Bradley Beal - 10s
PF: Al Horford - 00s
C: Neal Walk - 60s

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1969.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1988.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1998.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2007.html
(Joakim Noah was the 2014 NBA Defensive POY!)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2012.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2000.html
(Mike Miller was 2000 NBA Rookie of Year; NBA Champs, Miami Heat - 2012, 13)
(Udonis Haslem was 3x NBA Champs, Miami Heat - 2006, 2012, 2013)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2005.html
(David Lee was a great player for the NY Knicks; NBA Champ, Golden St - 2015)

This is obviously a tough one for Wisconsin, as our program experienced a dark age for three decades prior to 1990's. I found four players with relative ease, whom I either watched play or am familiar with through my experience as a UW fan, but for the fifth one at power forward, I had to use some help (BadgerManiac's Top 50 UW players).

Guards: Wes Matthews 70's, Devin Harris 00's
Forwards: Michael Finley 90's, Danny Jones 80's (ranked 14th in BM's rankings)
Center: Frank Kaminsky 10's.

Yea that’s either an excellent troll job or the stupidest thing I’ve ever read lmao. If nothing else, even if the homer in u is so strong that you actually believe AD could hang with Wilt, u shoulda phrased it differently bc wilt does the pushing it in, like 10 thousand different victims, pushing it in lmao.

LSU could slide in pistol Pete and shaq and have a nice squad regardless of how u fill out the other 3. Guess AD would push Shaqs shit in to tho lmao never considered that.

LSU has more than just Pistol and Shaq. Throw Bob Pettit in there and you have one of the 10 greatest PF's in NBA history.

Syracuse:

G: Dave Bing (60’s)
G: Lawrence Moten (90’s)
F: Carmelo Anthony (00’s)
F: Derrick Coleman (80’s)
C: Roosevelt Bouie (70’s)

The craziest thing about this lineup is the greatest PG in Cuse history, Pearl Washington, didn’t make it. PF would be comparatively weak if I added Pearl instead of Derrick and leaving out Moten or Bing would be equally nuts. If Pearl were in there, Hakim Warrick would be PF (still a 20ppg guy). Or Carmelo would be PF and Wes Johnson would be SF.

I was close to putting Onuaku in over Bouie but Bouie was an iconic dude. Rakeem Christmas also probably had the best single season of any SU Center but it took him 4 years to get there.

Shout out to Sherman Douglas, too. Man, those Cuse teams in the 80’s were filthy.

Cazzie Russel 60s

Rudy Tomjanovich, 70

Glenn Rice, 80s

Chris Webber, 90s

Trey Burke, 10s

Two Versions for Texas
PG Slater Martin (1940s)
SG Travis Mays (1990s)
SF Kevin Durant (2000s)
PF Myles Turner (2010)
C LaSalle Thompson (1980s)

TJ Ford deserves to be on one