ADVERTISEMENT

Challenge: pick your all time starting 5, but no one from same decade

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Here is the challenge. Pick your program's all time starting 5, but there are a couple rules.

1. You can only use one player per decade. If someone played in 2 decades you can declare which decade you are claiming for that player

2. Has to be based on how they played in college

3. players must fit and play assigned positions.

Here is mine from DePaul:

C: George Mikan (40s)
F: Mark Aguirre (70s)
F: Paul Reed (10s)
G; Rod Strickland (80s)
G: Quentin Richardson (90s)

That would actually be a really good team.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
PG - Frank Mason - 2010’s
SG - Kirk Hinrich - 2000’s
SF - Paul Pierce - 1990’s
PF - Danny Manning - 1980’s
C - Wilt Chamberlain - 1950’s

For Auburn :

PG - Jared Harper - 2010s
SG - Eddie Johnson - 1970s
SF - marquis Daniels - 2000s
PF - Charles Barkley - 1980s
C - Nmadou N’Diaye - 1990s

Last edited:
Kentucky

PG: John Wall (00s)
SG: Rex Chapman (80s)
SF: Jamal Mashburn (90s)
PF: Dan Issel (60s)
C: Anthony Davis (10s)

PG - Magic Johnson (70’s)
SG - Shawn Respert (90’s)
SF- Steve Smith (80’s)
PF - Draymond Green (10’s)
C - Jumping Johnny Green (50’s)

Mateen Cleaves, Scott Skiles, and Cassius Winston are all great but their PG’s, and you’re not going to beat Magic. Greg Kelser was great but you had Magic in the 70’s. Denzel Valentine and Steve Smith was a toss up, but I went with Smith.

Jalen Brunson 2010's
Kerry Kittles 1990's
Ed Pinckney 1980's
Howard Porter 1970's
Paul Arizin 1950's

Isiah Thomas (1980s)
Victor Oladipo (2010s)
Calbert Cheaney (1990s)
Scott May (1970s)
Walt Bellamy (1960s)

I'd take this team up against just about any.

Jo Jo White (60s)
Frank Mason (2010s)
Paul Pierce (90s)
Danny Manning (80s)
Wilt Chamberlain (50s)

PG - Carsen Edwards (10's)
SG - Rick Mount (60's)
SF - Glenn Robinson (90's)
PF - Terry Dischinger (50's)
C - Joe Barry Carroll (70's)

PG: Greivis Vasquez (10s just barely)
SG: Juan Dixon (00s)
F: Len Bias (80s)
F: Len Elmore (70s)
C: Joe Smith (90s)

PG was a toss up between John Lucas and Grievis, but I needed the 70s for Len Elmore so had to go with Greivis. I think this team could do some damage, as long as Turge is not coaching.

@dukedevilz is better at making these types of threads than me, but he's uhm busy right now tending to other important matters on the board.

@dukedevilz is better at making these types of threads than me, but he's uhm busy right now tending to other important matters on the board.

Seems like a fun idea. I'll bite.

G: Johnny Dawkins (80's)
G: Jason Williams (00's)
F: Art Heyman (60's)
F: Zion Williamson (10's)
C: Christian Laettner (90's)

Only school in America that has had five different players win NPOY in five different decades.

Ferry, Brand, Battier, and Redick also won NPOY... And Dick Groat probably would have won in the 50's, if they voted for a NPOY.

This was pretty tough but this is my team.

G: Sean Singletary (2000s)
G: Malcolm Brogdon (2010s)
F: Bryant Stith (1990s)
F: Jeff Lamp (1970s)
C: Ralph Sampson (1980s)

I pretty much had to put Ralph and build out.

PG - Magic Johnson (70’s)
SG - Shawn Respert (90’s)
SF- Steve Smith (80’s)
PF - Draymond Green (10’s)
C - Jumping Johnny Green (50’s)

Mateen Cleaves, Scott Skiles, and Cassius Winston are all great but their PG’s, and you’re not going to beat Magic. Greg Kelser was great but you had Magic in the 70’s. Denzel Valentine and Steve Smith was a toss up, but I went with Smith.

I’d go the same but swap Johnny Green for Zach Randolph.

PG: Greivis Vasquez (10s just barely)
SG: Juan Dixon (00s)
F: Len Bias (80s)
F: Len Elmore (70s)
C: Joe Smith (90s)

PG was a toss up between John Lucas and Grievis, but I needed the 70s for Len Elmore so had to go with Greivis. I think this team could do some damage, as long as Turge is not coaching.
Those guys could not win shit.

So now the question is who has the best team? I feel like it’s gotta be Duke, right? Kansas is the only one I could see being better, some homer.

So now the question is who has the best team? I feel like it’s gotta be Duke, right? Kansas is the only one I could see being better, some homer.
UK's team would smash both. Maybe if you combine yours and Duke's you'd have a chance. Otherwise, you're fighting for second. As usual when going up against UK.

Reactions: TheBlueCat
UK's team would smash both. Maybe if you combine yours and Duke's you'd have a chance. Otherwise, you're fighting for second. As usual when going up against UK.
Kansas has 2 NPOY’s and Wilt Chamberlain. That’s 3 positions. I’ll give you Mashburn but that could be a draw with Pierce. Hinrich’s career was also more successful than Chapman’s. Sorry but this would be a 112-73 type beating with Kansas taking the win.

Kansas has 2 NPOY’s and Wilt Chamberlain. That’s 3 positions. I’ll give you Mashburn but that could be a draw with Pierce. Hinrich’s career was also more successful than Chapman’s. Sorry but this would be a 112-73 type beating with Kansas taking the win.
Wilt Chamberlain would get his shit pushed in by Anthony Davis. This isn’t a bunch of white dudes he’s going up against. Hinrich and Chapman are at best a wash for KU. Kentucky wins a series 7 or 8 out of 10. Lol at JoJo trying to guard John Wall.

Wilt Chamberlain would get his shit pushed in by Anthony Davis. This isn’t a bunch of white dudes he’s going up against. Hinrich and Chapman are at best a wash for KU. Kentucky wins a series 7 or 8 out of 10. Lol at JoJo trying to guard John Wall.
giphy.gif

*Frank Mason. Mason is a better college player than Wall

JoJo White is a HOF and a top 100 player of all time. John Wall is good and is almost at a point in his career where he might be considered equal at best, but he’s not better. Your statement makes you sound foolish but then again you said Lebron started the free agency movement so LMAO at Jimbo and his basketball knowledge before 2009.

Davis vs. Chamberlain would be good. Chamberlain was definitely the better player though.

Nobody knows who Issel is so all Mason needs to do is feed it to Manning and he’ll go for 37 and 24.

Your best argument for an advantage is Chapman over Hinrich but one of those guys clearly had a better college career and it’s not the Kentucky guy.

*Frank Mason. Mason is a better college player than Wall

JoJo White is a HOF and a top 100 player of all time. John Wall is good and is almost at a point in his career where he might be considered equal at best, but he’s not better. Your statement makes you sound foolish but then again you said Lebron started the free agency movement so LMAO at Jimbo and his basketball knowledge before 2009.

Davis vs. Chamberlain would be good. Chamberlain was definitely the better player though.

Nobody knows who Issel is so all Mason needs to do is feed it to Manning and he’ll go for 37 and 24.

Your best argument for an advantage is Chapman over Hinrich but one of those guys clearly had a better college career and it’s not the Kentucky guy.
Now you’re just making yourself look bad. Bringing up some of your horrible takes from the past and taking them to this argument. Damn, man.

For someone talking about the past, you sure don’t seem to understand that guys from the 60s and 70s would get absolutely smoked by the better guys from the past 20 years. JoJo and everybody else from his era included. I’ll give you Frank as a college player over Wall but I honestly haven’t heard from the guy since he graduated. The better pro is clear.

LOL @ your entire team trying to contain Wilt, Manning, Pierce and Mason.

You think Davis could have averaged 50/game for a season in the 60s/70s? Somehow I don't think he'd double his best year when going up against the likes of Kareem and Bill Russell. It's immaterial anyway, because we're talking about their college production.

In short, no one but a Kentucky fan is taking the Kentucky team.

Ooh Jimbo.... don't have a horse in that race, but wow. Davis is great, no question, but Chamberlain was game changing, dominant and an incredible athlete. Chamberlain is in the top 5 all time best players... IMO.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Ooh Jimbo.... don't have a horse in that race, but wow. Davis is great, no question, but Chamberlain was game changing, dominant and an incredible athlete. Chamberlain is in the top 5 all time best players... IMO.
Context. Imagine Davis playing in Wilts time. Put them together in their primes and I don’t think Wilt has a big advantage, if one at all.

Context. Imagine Davis playing in Wilts time. Put them together in their primes and I don’t think Wilt has a big advantage, if one at all.

You think college Davis was more skilled than college Wilt?

Seriously?

Yea that’s either an excellent troll job or the stupidest thing I’ve ever read lmao. If nothing else, even if the homer in u is so strong that you actually believe AD could hang with Wilt, u shoulda phrased it differently bc wilt does the pushing it in, like 10 thousand different victims, pushing it in lmao.

LSU could slide in pistol Pete and shaq and have a nice squad regardless of how u fill out the other 3. Guess AD would push Shaqs shit in to tho lmao never considered that.

I hear ya...but, would Davis push around Shaq? Wilt was a better Shaq. Of course comparing players across generations is impossible.

I had a guy on my list that a lot of people here probably never heard of. Paul Arizin literally changed basketball by effectively popularizing the jump shot. AA, Multiple MVP's, leading scorer. That said could he hang with today's players? Of course not. But it is a fun exercise. Just think what it will be 10-20 years when people say Jordan couldn't beat out those players....

Reactions: JimboBBN
I was mostly trolling with the Wilt vs AD part but a huge part of Wilts success was his competition and that isn’t up for debate.

Any basketball historian would tell you that Wilt would dominate in any era. Would he put up 100 in a game in today's era? No, but that doesn't mean that he'd struggle. There is a middle ground here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT