Central Connecticuit vs DePaul @ 8:00 CT on FS1

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, finally joined yesterday. Over my years of lurking I've noticed a surprising lack of threads about my alma mater, DePaul. No gameday threads, no threads reminiscing about the glory days with Aguire and Cummings, no threads talking about a season highlight performance earlier this year when they played Michigan State even for the first 15 minutes of a game.

Well, don't worry fellas, I'm here to rectify this awful injustice.

No longer will you leave this site wondering to yourself "gee I sure did learn a lot about hoops, but what the hell is going on with the DePaul Blue Demons???" All that is going to change. When DePaul stays within 25 points of Butler you're going to hear about it. When DePaul beats out Chicago State and Eastern Illinois to land a top 300 recruit you bet you're gonna hear about it. When DePaul fires and then re-hires Dave Leito yet again I'll be here to scream "Why??!?!?" for all of us.

So let's get the discussion going. Most memorable DePaul moment you can recall (if you go back that far)?

Gotta go with Mark Aguire walking back to the hotel from the arena in his uniform after getting knocked out of the NCAA in a massive upset loss to St. Josephs. Favorite moment was the being at the Rosemont Horizon for the best basketball game I've ever seen live, DePaul and Rod Strickland vs St. John's and Mark Jackson in the second round of the 1987 NCAA. Kevin Edwards missed a free throw on purpose and Dallas Comegys laid it in to tie the game and take it to OT where DePaul prevailed. Was in high school and painted my face blue and red, but did such a bad job that I ended up with a purple face.

So thanks for having me and I look forward to many more fireside conversations about our favorite program, the one time National Champions (thanks George Mikan!) DePaul Blue Demons!

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
My memories of DePaul are them beating Kansas in 2006 and Quentin Richardson choosing them over KU in 1998.

That’s all I can contribute.

I don't even remember beating Kansas in 2006. I'm officially calling that he greatest win of the past 20 years for DePaul. My only memory of the storied Kansas vs DePaul rivalry was when I was still in undergrad and Kansas was in town. The arena was giving away mini basketballs as a promotion and late in the game Scott Pollard was on the free throw line and my buddy threw his ball onto the court as he was shooting and it went right between Pollard's legs and he missed the free throw and as a result DePaul only lost by 19!

Later in the game my other buddy nearly got into a fist fight with the Minnesota Timber Wolf mascot (don't ask why he was at the game, its still one of the great unsolved mystery's of my life) when he kept heckling him the whole game claiming he had anal sex with Christian Laettner (once again, don't ask)

Q was awesome. Only reason we got him and Bobby SImmons was because Pat Kennedy was our coach back then and he prided himself in never being outbid for a recruit.

JimboBBN

Jan 26, 2016
The Bluegrass State
Team
Kentucky
The only thing I really remember about DePaul is that they've taken it to Louisville a couple times, led by that white kid that used to ball for them (Diener?)

Other than that

Reactions: WeAreDePaul

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
My memories of Louisville vs DePaul was how well the Louisville fans travelled. Always packed the upper bowl of the Horizon. But, it was weird in that it was totally segregated. In one corner you would have all the white fans and in the other corner it was all black fans. Always thought that was odd to say the least.

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Don't they wear blue and red?

yep, blue and red. Although like a lot of other teams in college and pro sports, they decided in the last 20 years that black is also part of the color scheme so now we get the occasional black jersey.

catman111

Oct 29, 2005
Pantelis xidias is the most entertaining bench player this season. Everyone should watch DePaul just to see his reactions.

Also, looking back on polls in the 80’s there were several years DePaul was ranked high.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017

LOL, had no idea he had such a sweet name. You were not exaggerating, he really is the most entertaining walk on in the entire NCAA. Honestly, they should just put a camera on him full time like they do with Bill Walton. He looks ridiculous and adds to it by having one man dance shows after every positive thing that happens for DePaul (so like 5x per game).

As for the 80s, you must be young since that surprised you. Would it surprise you to know that in the 80s DePaul was thought of as one of the truly elite programs in CBB?

I think they also hold the record for most first round losses as a #1 seed in NCAA history, something that hasn't happened since the tourney expanded to 64 teams. I think DePaul did it twice in the 80s. Once to St. Joes and once to Boston College. Thanks Ray Meyer!

doogie503

Jan 15, 2008
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, finally joined yesterday. Over my years of lurking I've noticed a surprising lack of threads about my alma mater, DePaul. No gameday threads, no threads reminiscing about the glory days with Aguire and Cummings, no threads talking about a season highlight performance earlier this year when they played Michigan State even for the first 15 minutes of a game.

Well, don't worry fellas, I'm here to rectify this awful injustice.

No longer will you leave this site wondering to yourself "gee I sure did learn a lot about hoops, but what the hell is going on with the DePaul Blue Demons???" All that is going to change. When DePaul stays within 25 points of Butler you're going to hear about it. When DePaul beats out Chicago State and Eastern Illinois to land a top 300 recruit you bet you're gonna hear about it. When DePaul fires and then re-hires Dave Leito yet again I'll be here to scream "Why??!?!?" for all of us.

So let's get the discussion going. Most memorable DePaul moment you can recall (if you go back that far)?

Gotta go with Mark Aguire walking back to the hotel from the arena in his uniform after getting knocked out of the NCAA in a massive upset loss to St. Josephs. Favorite moment was the being at the Rosemont Horizon for the best basketball game I've ever seen live, DePaul and Rod Strickland vs St. John's and Mark Jackson in the second round of the 1987 NCAA. Kevin Edwards missed a free throw on purpose and Dallas Comegys laid it in to tie the game and take it to OT where DePaul prevailed. Was in high school and painted my face blue and red, but did such a bad job that I ended up with a purple face.

So thanks for having me and I look forward to many more fireside conversations about our favorite program, the one time National Champions (thanks George Mikan!) DePaul Blue Demons!

Huggs has some good DePaul stories from his Cincy days. He breaks one out on his radio show every now and then.

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Massive blowout win for the Blue Demons. Didn't watch any of it, but I'm sure several, if not most posters here did so feel free to post your game thoughts.

Just impressed on a night where so many elite teams were upset, DePaul was able to look straight into the abyss and scream "#NOT US!"