ADVERTISEMENT

CBS SPORTS says Pitino to Iona

oldsports_

Dec 18, 2010
Rick Pitino has informed his Panathinaikos B.C. players that he is returning to college basketball, sources tell @MattNorlander.

Good luck at Iona Rick.
siRRUVz.gif

For real, how hilarious is it going to be when he quits his job for this and the NCAA finally slaps him with a multi year show cause?

Iona better hide their womens.
and get their runners ready, fittin' to be lit in New Rochelle

Reactions: Heyward1
Grand Canyon is going to land a solid coach since they fired Thunder Dan.

If you go look up the number of 5* players he landed in like what, 15 years at Louisville, it wouldn’t add up to what uk or duke have landed in the past 3 years, so that’s very unlikely.

He is a helluva coach though so maybe he can make a tourney run if he sticks it out long enough. In fact I’m not sure he’s ever been the head coach at a college and not taken them to a final four.

Love where UK basketball is and can’t say enough how fun the Cal era has been but i would’ve love to seen what would’ve happened if Pitino would’ve stayed at UK.

Feel sorry for Iona.

Maybe they prescribe to the “any publicity is good publicity” line of thinking. Bc the only other time I’ve ever seen them get any pub is when they won their conference tourney and got an auto bid.

Where is Iona College located?

Maybe they prescribe to the “any publicity is good publicity” line of thinking. Bc the only other time I’ve ever seen them get any pub is when they won their conference tourney and got an auto bid.

New York

Suburb of NYC, so it’s makes sense.

Doubt it. He's 67 going on 103. Sounds like Iona is where he plans to retire.

I don’t think his ego will let him aspire to retire at Iona. He’s gotta be filthy rich, so this has to be about his ego, and I don’t see Iona as the apple of his eye as regards to his ego and legacy. He may never get that chance but I have no doubt that if he does coach a year or two at Iona he will jump all over ANY chance he might get at a P5 program, again IF he ever gets the opportunity.

But who knows, Jim Calhoun handed Ollie a championship caliber team to retire and he’s back coaching at some lower level college, his alma mater I believe.

I don’t think his ego will let him aspire to retire at Iona. He’s gotta be filthy rich, so this has to be about his ego, and I don’t see Iona as the apple of his eye as regards to his ego and legacy. He may never get that chance but I have no doubt that if he does coach a year or two at Iona he will jump all over ANY chance he might get at a P5 program, again IF he ever gets the opportunity.

But who knows, Jim Calhoun handed Ollie a championship caliber team to retire and he’s back coaching at some lower level college, his alma mater I believe.
We'll see. It sounds like he's happy to be back in New York. If he does make another move I could see it being to St. John's, Rutgers, or Seton Hall.

Isnt iona a catholic school? Hiring a guy that approved of hookers being brought onto campus for player? Hypocrites gonna hypocrite

Former Kentucky coaches keep falling further down the ranks...

Tubby Smith: High Point
Billy Gillespie: Ranger College (JUCO)
Rick Pitino: Iona College

I'd hate to see John Calipari return to his old stomping grounds at Clarion University. Would be devastating to see that.

Reactions: UL_1986
Former Kentucky coaches keep falling further down the ranks...

Tubby Smith: High Point
Billy Gillespie: Ranger College (JUCO)
Rick Pitino: Iona College

I'd hate to see John Calipari return to his old stomping grounds at Clarion University. Would be devastating to see that.
Once you leave Camelot, there’s no going back.

Most know that. There's only one direction to go after UK, and we all agree its down.
It is weird how our coaches haven’t ever rebounded to another big program. Rick going to Louisville counts, but other than that. I guess we have just picked some really shitty options

It is weird how our coaches haven’t ever rebounded to another big program. Rick going to Louisville counts, but other than that. I guess we have just picked some really shitty options
Does Rick really wanna coach cbb so badly again that he’s settling for ****ing Iona? Weird to me. I guess NBA gave him a hard no when he was interviewing for jobs. He couldn’t do much worse than Belien.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Does Rick really wanna coach cbb so badly again that he’s settling for ****ing Iona? Weird to me. I guess NBA gave him a hard no when he was interviewing for jobs. He couldn’t do much worse than Belien.
I think his end goal is to end up back at another big program. At least power five. But who knows. Maybe he will be happy being back in New York. With the spotlight off of him. But when have we ever know Ricky to not like the lights on him?

I know it’s a crazy thought but maybe he misses coaching college basketball? He’s near New York. Less stress than a major college.

Not surprising, Catholics have a similar track record.
Well Brian Kelly is pro choice. Went to a Catholic HS in NY. They wanted everyone to go to Iona. Talking about how close New Rochelle was to everything. Anyways they can make some serious noise

I think the issue is sneaking in little boys pants, not liquor stores.

Apparently Cal called to congratulate him. I expect to see UK vs Iona in the near future.

Pitino, 67, told ESPN last June that he wanted to pursue a job in the NBA, but he has made clear since taking the Iona position that it will be the final job of his career -- largely because of the size of his contract buyout.

"I don't have a very large contract with Iona. I think it can be put on one page," said Pitino, who also told WFAN he drew interest from Holy Cross. "But I can tell you right now; the only school that can afford me with my buyout is Fort Knox University. I don't think with the type of buyout that I have and I'm even too embarrassed to tell you the number it's so scary -- Iona is definitely my last stop. I almost laugh at the buyout it's so comical.

"I'm at my best developing young athletes. That's where I belong. I'm super excited about being at Iona. It will be my last stop and I hope we make it a glorious run."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT